Barefoot/minimalist footwear

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Is it a fad? Yes. Will it die down? Yes. That's not to say there won't be people who keep it going after it's not popular anymore, and it also does have its advantages. I find them particularly good for strength training. For everything else though I prefer traditional cross trainers.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I also wear the Saucony Kinvaras because they still give a bit of cushioning but are lightweight. I came across them by accident not realizing they are minimalist and don't want to switch back.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I think they're wonderful. My ACL problems went away with them and I set a PR in the first race I wore them in, so you decide. They're super comfy. I never want to go back to regular shoes. I have 4 pairs of vibrams-- 2 komodos, 1 kso trek sport, and 1 bormio. I run in the komodos (and I've done half marathons in them, so don't let anyone try to convince you they're not okay for long distances)
  • KatieSeratt
    Options
    Both my sister and I have the Vibram Five Finger shoes (I have 2 pairs, my sister has 5 pairs)...They are awesome! Most comfortable shoes I've ever had. I have very high arches and it is hard for me to find shoes that support that and fit properly. I don't have any joint pain, foot pain, or anything with these shoes. They don't always seem to look right with the clothes I wear on a daily basis or with my scrubs, but they are so comfortable, I don't really care what they look like :)
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I also wear the Saucony Kinvaras because they still give a bit of cushioning but are lightweight. I came across them by accident not realizing they are minimalist and don't want to switch back.

I don't blame you for saying this, as the term minimalist is by no means used consistently, but Kinvaras are really not minimalist. Minimalism is about the stack height of the shoe moreso than the heel-toe drop. I guess they are kind of towards the minimal end of the spectrum, but the sole is still way too thick for them to be considered minimalist.
  • vistajay
    vistajay Posts: 2
    Options
    I have consistently run for over 30 years, so I have a lot of miles on my legs. The last five years have been disrupted by injury as I round into my mid-40s, mostly to my calves and hamstrings. I started running with Vibrams about 6 months ago. My form has improved tremendously, I am running more than I have in ten years, and (best of all) am finally injury free. It does take a couple of months to ease into them. Start with just a walk. The next week, run a light 3 miles. Do that again for a few weeks. Even if they feel great, resist running too far in them the first month. If you have too much pain the next day, give your body a few days rest before tackling again. Keep running with your regular shoes in between Vibram runs. Eventually you will be able to run just in the Vibrams. I am running 4-5 times a week, 4-6 miles at a time, in my Vibrams currently. I cannot remember the last time I ran in regular shoes, and I cannnot imagine going back. Vibrams do such a great job of mimicing barefoot running, that I feel 10 years old again when I run in them!
  • freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Love them wouldnt wear any thing eles
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing 5 fingers for 4 years now. They are my favorite footwear by far. I do run in them. My only suggestion to people starting out running in them is to watch your form. Make sure your heel taps the ground with each stride. Don't run only on the balls of your feet. Also, your calves are going to be SORE for the first couple of days. Barefoot running changes your stride from a heel strike stride to a toes first stride. It's like doing thousands of calf raises.

Due to the changed stride I do not turn my feet out when I am running in my V5F shoes. Since you lead with your toe it corrects your stride and is lower impact. I can't run in regular running shoes without my knees hurting.

The reason I bought V5Fs is because I always go barefoot. I bought them when they only had 2 styles. Classic (no strap) and Sprint (with a strap). I think a lot of the hype now is fad. They have over 40 styles I think. IMO that is overkill, but I love my classics so who am I to say someone doesn't need V5F boots?
  • icjason
    icjason Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been running minimalist for a while now as well. My current rotation includes Altra Adams, some Kigos, SoftStar Dashes, and NB Minimus. I also keep a couple pair of more 'traditional' padded shoes around.

I love running with minimal (read: no real padding, and just enough material to protect my feet from sharp gravel) footwear. The biggest deal for me was changing from heel-strike to a mid-foot strike. If you're running with minimal gear and heel-striking, you're likely to end up with problems. Read up on it and give it a shot!
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I can't drop the cash on 5 Fingers yet, I run barefoot at a track and can't get over a mile in before my calves seize up. When I can run 2-3 miles barefoot I'll pay money for the shoes.
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    I've found that I have so much less hip and knee pain and also foot pain wearing my Vibrams. I've worn them for years and for half marathons and a 16 mile trail run. I was fitted first with hugely supportive shoes and still had lots of pain. Went minimalist and found I actually corrected my stride the natural way which eased all my pain. My 10 year old was told she needed inserts. we bought them and used them and her foot pain remained. We recently switched her to the Merell with the vibram soles (she didn't want funky toe shoes like mom) and her feet are feeling so much better. I say for me it is the way to go! I do have a friend who tried and tried them and said she couldn't wear them. It's possible she did not ever correct her stride.
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Because there are so many styles out now, they are starting to appear at places like TJ Maxx and Marshals. I bought a pair of vibrams for $30 not too long ago!

I've been running barefoot for about a year but had only starting running about 6 months prior to that. Basically, barefoot running is the only running I know! I *still* get sore if I run long/hard in them and have to take a day off...I'm really envious of people who can go running everyday!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'm a nike run free wearer, I love the minimalist shoes because they allow my feet to move more naturally. More structured shoes tend to cramp my toes which causes other muscles to work harder. My physio has really noted the difference since I switched, and the side benefit is that I get WAY fewer blisters and sore joints in my feet. But of course, they are not for everyone, and if you're going to transition into them TAKE YOUR TIME.

I've worn my run frees for 3 half marathons and a full marathon since converting, and they are awesome for my distances.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing my vibrams for lifting and indoor cardio for a few months. I wore them on vacation a few weeks ago and spent whole days on my feet in them and loved them. I recently started running in them and my legs don't seem to be as sore. I still get blisters on the ball of my foot just like I did with my regular sneakers, but overall I really like them. No shin splints at all, which is what usually happens when I start running. I bought the pair I have off the 70% off clearance table at EMS, but I'd definitely buy another pair at a higher price when I need to.
  • FrauHausMaus
    FrauHausMaus Posts: 194
    Options
    I have two pairs of vibrams, and they are my go-to shoes. I wear them all the time, exercise or not. The thing is, though- I love being barefoot. I've always tried to wear minimal footwear (except the occasional sassy heels), so they really suit me. I have high arches, but since I've been wearing my vibrams, my feet are getting stronger (and a little wider) and my arches aren't a problem.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Is it a fad? Yes. Will it die down? Yes. That's not to say there won't be people who keep it going after it's not popular anymore, and it also does have its advantages. I find them particularly good for strength training. For everything else though I prefer traditional cross trainers.

I highly doubt its going to die down, if anything its going to grow.

The significant reduction in pain and injuries is very real.

Big poofy heel running shoes seemed like a good idea a few decades ago, but its pretty clear that they do far more harm than good, really wrecking people's biomechanics. We are not meant to heel strike. Big poofy heel running shoes are the fad, not minimal shoes. Mininal shoes existed before the big poofy heel running shoes, which is now a dying fad.

Edit - Toed shoes is a fad that will probably die down, its just a gimmick like the big poofy heel. Flat thin soled running shoes defintiely will not die down though, it isn't a fad at all.
  • kg2run
    kg2run Posts: 25
    Options
    I've been wearing Merrell's Barefoot Trail Glove for two years, and they are my most favorite pair of shoes. I wear them to run, hike, lift, walk, or just to exist in. They did take some getting used to at first, but also keep in mind I'm someone who walks around barefoot on the norm. I do pronate inward and could use some inner support to keep my ankle from rolling, but I found that I actually correct this pronation in my barefoot shoes while I run.

This is pretty much me. I love my Merrells. I've been fitted at running stores for running shoes multiple times, but they've always ended up hurting my calves and/or feet. When I decided to give a pair of minimal shoes a try, my foot and leg pains decreased tremendously. I have three different pairs of Merrells I rotate between and my feet are so much happier now.

I also realize my experience isn't the same as everyone's. I know other people that can't function in them, so I think it really depends on your own body.
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of New Balance Minimus and I have extremely flat feet. I have tried all the stability shoes and insoles and was never able to walk or run without a lot of pain....now I run and feel great, long or short distances....
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I highly doubt its going to die down, if anything its going to grow.

The significant reduction in pain and injuries is very real.

Big poofy heel running shoes seemed like a good idea a few decades ago, but its pretty clear that they do far more harm than good, really wrecking people's biomechanics. We are not meant to heel strike. Big poofy heel running shoes are the fad, not minimal shoes. Mininal shoes existed before the big poofy heel running shoes, which is now a dying fad.

Edit - Toed shoes is a fad that will probably die down, its just a gimmick like the big poofy heel. Flat thin soled running shoes defintiely will not die down though, it isn't a fad at all.

Your analysis is spot on. Toe shoes will probably die down. But minimalism in foot wear is not going anywhere.
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I made the switch about 2 years ago and I'd never go back. I love my NB Minimus Trail shoes! I used to have a lot of IT Band issues with conventional running shoes. They took about a month to get used to and to allow your muscles to build up, but well worth it. Once you're used to them you'll have less joint pains. I'm a slow runner...with conventional shoes I was running around a 10:30 min/mile for a half marathon. With the minimalist shoes I am faster around a 9:00 min/mile pace for the same race. I believe it's due to the lighter shoe and less joint pain. I ran 4 half marathons last year and had zero pain. I'll be running my second full in October and hope to finish it running...2 years ago I had to walk to the finish from mile 15 on, due to IT band flair up with conventional shoes. Let me tell you, hobbling 11 miles with a sore IT band is not fun. But, I HAD to finish! I typically run 15-25 miles a week.