Headaches from running/walking

Options
Hubby and I have been training for a 5k and I've been doing short burst of running mixed in with my walking for about 2 months. Last night though as soon as we got done I got a headache and it lasted all night. Its still hanging on a bit this morning. I've never noticed one before. I did remember that I didnt drink as much water yesterday as normal- I assume dehydration could cause that some?? And we went about 40 minutes after eating supper so I wonder if we should have waited a little longer? Or did I just try to do too much too fast? I burned 550 calories in 60 minutes so we were moving pretty fast.

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Based on my experience, dehydration and hunger correlate to getting headaches during an activity. Since you walked after dinner, maybe it was the dehydration? I don't know if you are a nicotine or caffeine user, but if someone who uses one or both, goes without for an extended period of time, then activity (and short bursts of intense activity) can induce a headache as well. Hopefully, it was just an anomaly, and won't happen anymore. *fingers crossed*
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Probably very slight dehydration...I always make it a rule to chug a glass of water before going out for a run. Also, I constantly clench my jaw and this gives me bad headaches, could you have been clenching during the intense exercise?? Just a random thought.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    More than likely a tension headache which isn't uncommon in exercise. Muscles tightening around the neck usually cause this.
    Lots of people tense up the neck area when attempting higher intensity, faster speed, record lifts and even sit ups.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mrscompgeek
    mrscompgeek Posts: 18
    Options
    Probably very slight dehydration...I always make it a rule to chug a glass of water before going out for a run. Also, I constantly clench my jaw and this gives me bad headaches, could you have been clenching during the intense exercise?? Just a random thought.
    Hm, I dont think I do. I'll watch closer next time and see if I clench my jaw.
  • mrscompgeek
    Options
    More than likely a tension headache which isn't uncommon in exercise. Muscles tightening around the neck usually cause this.
    Lots of people tense up the neck area when attempting higher intensity, faster speed, record lifts and even sit ups.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Interesting. Come to think of it I did kind of tense up when I would run. I also have a history of tension headaches.
  • mrscompgeek
    Options
    Based on my experience, dehydration and hunger correlate to getting headaches during an activity. Since you walked after dinner, maybe it was the dehydration? I don't know if you are a nicotine or caffeine user, but if someone who uses one or both, goes without for an extended period of time, then activity (and short bursts of intense activity) can induce a headache as well. Hopefully, it was just an anomaly, and won't happen anymore. *fingers crossed*
    Not a nicotine user and just my morning coffee for Caffeine.
    I'm going to assume this was dehydration. I didnt even think about it when we left to go run.