Weight Loss, Seasonique, and Mirena

Options
I have been eating better and exercising 2-4 times weekly since December, but I'm stuck right at 140. The group I work out with have all seen improved physiques and weight loss, and aside from being slightly more muscular I haven't seen much improvement. I cut out most junk food and am training for a half-marthon, so I should see something! One difference between the group and I is that I am on the pill--specifically Seasonique--and they are not.

I'm thinking of switching to the IUD Mirena (in the name of convenience, not weight loss, but if that were to happen I wouldn't complain). Not being on birth control is not an option for me.

So I guess my question is two parts.
1) Has anybody had trouble retaining weight while on Seasonique?
2) Are there any changes in weight associated with Mirena?

Thanks!

Replies

• eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Mirena but I am on Paragard. I haven't had any weight changes I can attribute to that, but I have been losing since I have been tracking my calories and exercise (right around the same time I had it inserted).
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have been on Mirena for 9 years. I have had no weight gain with it. I like it - no hassle and an added benefit - no period!
  • Reinventing_Joi
    Options
    I am on Mirena and MFP pals will tell you that I COMPLAIN ALL THE TIME about not being able to lose a pound with out gaining two back (sorta like a punishment for fighting the Mirena lol). Anyway, I love my Mirena because it works but I hate what it has done to my Metabolism. I realized the other day that the reason why I had been a yoyo dieter is because everytime I get off the pill, depo, Mirena... I lost weight.

I JUST started losing weight again after nothing for weeks. And let me tell you, I am doing the 8 hour diet in addition to not eating any of my calories back. It's extreme!
  • SW1388
    SW1388 Posts: 24
    Options
    I thought this thread was about two strippers trying to lose weight -_- lol ok I'm leaving now. Couldn't help myself
  • SaraShenanigans
    SaraShenanigans Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been on Mirena for 9 years. I have had no weight gain with it. I like it - no hassle and an added benefit - no period!

That is exactly why I'm getting it! Periods are the worst. Glad to hear that you haven't experienced any weight gain with Mirena. That makes it sound even better to me.
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been on a lot of different types of birth control and it has never affected my weight loss. When I gained weight it was because I was lazy and ate bad food, not because of the hormones. And it never hindered me either. Except for the Depo-Provera, I was a total b**ch and couldn't even stand myself!
  • Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just got Mirena again after the birth of my son 2 months ago. My Dr told me that there is so LITTLE horomone in Mirena for it to effect weight gain or loss.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It could be the half marathon training. When training I retained so much water that it masked weight loss. I got fitter and lost inches but the scale hardly budged. A week or two after the race when I was running a much more sane amount it started dropping off faster.

I've been on a variety of bc pills, some the even list weight gain as a side effect, always been able to lose (albeit slowly) if I watched what I ate. First bc I was on I gained a TON because it gave me a big appetite and I did NOT watch what I ate....so it may be tougher but if you're rigid with your deficit you should still lose weight.

Good luck!!!
  • keelerangela
    keelerangela Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena ... have had it for 3 years... no weight gain however I still get my period EVERY SINGLE MONTH.. just an fyi
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I hated the Mirena. It made me moody and I did gain weight. I think it was because I felt so moody it made me anxious. It made me very irritable. You may not have a problem with it. I loved not being on my period but it was not worth the mood swings for me.
  • aneciarobinson
    aneciarobinson Posts: 60 Member
    Options

I have had mine nearly 4 years and I agree...no weight gain, or trouble losing weight, and no period! :)
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Mirena and thankfully I haven't experienced weight gain. I continued to watch what I eat and exercise after having it placed and lost about 15 pounds since having it. I'm in the best shape of my life right now.
  • nellyk711
    nellyk711 Posts: 2
    Options
    I got the Mirena in September 2012. I was steadily losing weight after my daughter was born. It slowed way down after I got it put it. I haven't gained any weight, I just can't lose it either. I am bloated all the time. I have terrible Acne now. As far as the periods go, I still have one EVERY MONTH....dr said it could take 4-6 months to regulate it before it stops, but it hasn't stopped yet, in fact, it's heavier and worse now than it ever has been. I'm contemplating having it taken out at my yearly check up in July and going back on LoEstrin 24, I was losing weight on it and my periods were only lasting 2-3 days max.
    Good Luck!
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I got the Mirena in September 2012. I was steadily losing weight after my daughter was born. It slowed way down after I got it put it. I haven't gained any weight, I just can't lose it either. I am bloated all the time. I have terrible Acne now. As far as the periods go, I still have one EVERY MONTH....dr said it could take 4-6 months to regulate it before it stops, but it hasn't stopped yet, in fact, it's heavier and worse now than it ever has been. I'm contemplating having it taken out at my yearly check up in July and going back on LoEstrin 24, I was losing weight on it and my periods were only lasting 2-3 days max.
    Good Luck!

I was on Loestrin before Mirena and I was able to lose weight then, as soon as I got on the Mirena the progestin made me nuts emotionally. I had it taken out. Now I am on no birth control but I really don't need.
  • karliwelhoelter
    karliwelhoelter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was on seasonique for 5 years and it was very easy to regulate my weight. Looking a little soft? More veggies, less candy for 3 weeks and I'd have everything under control. I never had a problem losing weight when I wanted to. I then was off of any birth control for 8 months and I noticed I had mood swings, intense cravings, and worse cramps but I was still able to manage my weight easily (and my sex drive was off the charts). I then got the Mirena inserted in December 2015 and I've gained almost 10 lbs and haven't been able to get back to a comfortable point no matter what I do, I'm constantly broken out on my jawline so my skin is in the worst condition it's been in since high school (I graduated in 2011..) and my sex drive is shot. Not everyone has these experiences, but 2 of my friends have also noted their acne was worse (and in the exact same place as mine, which I don't think is a coincidence) and that they've gained weight as well.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena and I love it. I've had no issues losing weight at all.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

I have had mine nearly 4 years and I agree...no weight gain, or trouble losing weight, and no period! :)

Five years here (just had a new one "installed")--no weight gain, no period.

Also--I would highly suggest NOT training for a half-marathon while on an active cut. Speaking from experience--you will run much faster if you are fueling properly.