keeping active in the office

Options
does anyone have any ideas on things to do in the office to keep active. I have been going for walks on my lunch break and running up and down the 14 flights of stairs (the security guys have been giving me funny looks for this as there is cameras on the stairs!) any other ideas?
I don't want to do anything that attracts attention because people have been making rude comments lately ''but you're a twig! You dont need to exercise''
I do exercise at home aswel, usually 5 days a week. I do it because I hate sitting around all day, it makes me feel tired and grumpy

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing good. I don't get any kind of break, lunch or otherwise, so I try to get up once an hour for a quick walk to the other end of the building and back. I also stand up while I dial the phone and while I'm doing some of my work. Every little bit can help.
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, every little thing adds up. I use a fitbit so it monitors my steps, I try and get it to 10k everyday and even going out to the bathroom bumps it up a little.
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    On the radio yesterday they were talking about desk yoga. Not sure how much attention it would attract though
  • blkpag1
    blkpag1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A while back we had a few people replace their chairs with stability balls. I think the idea was that it used more core to hold an upright position and you had to keep good posture to stay on them.
  • soggypuppet
    soggypuppet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was the first one in the office this morning so I snuck in a few jumping jacks before anyone could bust me at it! I've also started pacing the office when I talk on the phone. Even if it attracts attention no one really gives it a second thought. I always have a glass of water at my desk so I switched to a slightly smaller glass (12 oz instead of 16). It forces me to get up to refill it more often. Every little bit helps!
  • CoachsWifeLife
    CoachsWifeLife Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would love some ideas as well!! this is my first sedentary job and i want to try and remain somewhat active at work somehow lol
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    II always have a glass of water at my desk so I switched to a slightly smaller glass (12 oz instead of 16). It forces me to get up to refill it more often. Every little bit helps!

This is a clever idea I will adopt!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Stumbled across this before and thought it was funny:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/health/workout-at-work/

Gives you the pros & cons of attempting each exercise in your office. :laugh:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    A while back we had a few people replace their chairs with stability balls. I think the idea was that it used more core to hold an upright position and you had to keep good posture to stay on them.

I would love to try that but I can't help thinking about that episode of The Office where Dwight was sitting on one.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i work out really really hard when i am at the gym, or pool, or outside biking or running.

idk, i feel that the whole "keeping active at work" takes away a little from my actual work outs. i feel that trying to knock out a few sets of push ups at work will affect my work out later that evening.

and i work a job that is tiering enough as it is. power plant engineer. i'm up and down stairs, in a hot facility all day. lifting things, turning valves. it's enough of a work out without having to add chair yoga.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Any good looking guys in your office?
  • natsmom118
    natsmom118 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

^^This
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Any good looking guys in your office?

No I'm afraid not !

Some good tips, thanks guys. although id love to do the stability ball one I don't want to attract anymore attention! people in here are so rude to me sometimes about what I eat etc. they think because I am already slim I don't ''need'' to eat healthy or exercise. I would never say to them ''you don't need that cake because you are already overweight''
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I keep this posted in my office and I try to get through each of the exercises twice in a day.

The Office Workout Routine

15 Glute Squeezes
    15 Arm Circles in Each Direction
    15 Ab Crunches
    15 Seated Tricep Dips
    15 Squats
    15 Wall Push-Ups
    15 Calf Raises
    15 Lunges on each side
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Very good idea if you workplace allows them

Somebody in my office tried one of them a few year back, she had back problem and was advised to sit on one of them, only to be told off by my manager because of health and safety issues (crazy world we are living in).

Health and safety!! So it's ok to look at a screen for 8hours non-stop but you can't sit on a swiss ball...

When I go to get a coffee in our small kitchen, i do press up holding the edge of the worktop (feet as far as you can), I just make sure that nobody is around, squats too. They have also photocopier paper in boxes there, so lift them above my head a few times, I know I am sad...

JC
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Do you have a job that would allow you to get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour? That would get you up and moving, and, in addition to your lunch walk and stair running, could add up by the end of the day. You can also stand up and stretch frequently.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

I would never say to them ''you don't need that cake because you are already overweight''

Maybe you should... that would shut them up right quick!