First day of logging gave terrifying results!

Options
snowbunnyA
snowbunnyA Posts: 25 Member
So I started logging yesterday. I really thought that I would find a whole load of hidden calories which would be the reason I couldn't shift the stubborn fatty bits I have. I was horrified to see the truth; that after what I considered a "normal" day, my calorific intake was only 507!!!!!!
<insert expletives here>
I'm a 5'2" female, 34 years old and weigh about 52 - 53kg.
What with an approximated 720 burn exercising, you can see these numbers don't add up.

When I saw this, I grabbed a chicken drumstick and a glass of Irish cream liqueur to get my figures up a little. :D

So, clear and extreme kick up the bum to sort this out!!

I'm guessing I need to increase relatively slowly... for a start, I don't think I could more than double my intake in one go. I just don't get hungry.

Before you start worrying, I'm not trying to get stick-thin (I used to see a dietician when I was a teenager because I couldn't put weight on, however much I ate, and I know that it's firstly not a good look, nor is it fun not being able to open doors when it's a bit drafty outside). I *would* like to tone the areas I'm not happy with (belly and hips) but I now know I'm not going to start storing muscle and burning that fat until I start eating more.

So, does anyone have any personal experience of breaking out of starvation mode - how long it takes, best ways to go about it etc? Should I stop exercising in the meantime? Noting that I don't exercise to lose weight, I do it because I enjoy it!

Please don't shout at me - this is a real shock to me, and kick up the bum!

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    So I started logging yesterday. I really thought that I would find a whole load of hidden calories which would be the reason I couldn't shift the stubborn fatty bits I have. I was horrified to see the truth; that after what I considered a "normal" day, my calorific intake was only 507!!!!!!
    <insert expletives here>
    What with an approximated 720 burn exercising, you can see these numbers don't add up.

When I saw this, I grabbed a chicken drumstick and a glass of Irish cream liqueur to get my figures up a little. :D

I'm guessing I need to increase relatively slowly... for a start, I don't think I could more than double my intake in one go. I just don't get hungry.

Before you start worrying, I'm not trying to get stick-thin (I used to see a dietician when I was a teenager because I couldn't put weight on, however much I ate, and I know that it's firstly not a good look, nor is it fun not being able to open doors when it's a bit drafty outside). I *would* like to tone the areas I'm not happy with (belly and hips) but I now know I'm not going to start storing muscle and burning that fat until I start eating more.

So, does anyone have any personal experience of breaking out of starvation mode - how long it takes, best ways to go about it etc? Should I stop exercising in the meantime? Noting that I don't exercise to lose weight, I do it because I enjoy it!

Yea... thats very low. Slowly reintroduce calories on a weekly basis. 5g of carbs a day here, 1 g of fat etc until you get to a reasonable level.

Check out Layne Norton's video on the matter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY1DsZMNfNw
  • nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options
    For a couple months, I'd exercise away 800-1200 calories 5 days a week and only eat around 1200, basically giving my body NOTHING to work with. I cut way back on exercising to decrease the deficit & am working on on eating at least 1900 but it's a small victory when I manage to net over 1500 for the day.

I cut all of the "diet" food out. I eat full fat dairy & avoid sugar-free or low-fat anything. I add an extra scoop to my breakfast protein shake. My protein shakes are up to providing me a minimum of 600-700 calories after the cottage cheese & nut butter. I eat a spoonful of nut butter or have cottage cheese, tuna & avocado as a "snack" during the day.

I've been focusing on food for almost a month now & have gone from netting nothing to netting around 1600 in that time. During my "before", having some ultra-rich chocolate mousse would cause me to lose weight because it was an extra 400+ calories that my body desperately needed.

DO increase your intake slowly so that you don't feel sick/over-full. Definitely cut back or eliminate the exercise until you get better at listening to what your body needs.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    let me be the first to say congratulations on recognizing and WANTING to increase your calories. step in the right direction! :) i have never experienced this so my advice is purely about what foods to eat to get your calories up.

peanut butter, whole fat kind not the low fat crap
    nuts
    beans (any kind really chick peas in your salad, white beans mixed in some pasta sauce)
    cheese
    pasta (a little bit will help)
    yogurt
    protein shake
    banana
    turkey
    chicken (added to your lunches)
    a bit of red meat (if you eat it)
    96% lean ground hamburger

these things should help add some calories to your daily food
  • snowbunnyA
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions and support.

I'm definitely upping my intake to something sensible; I just need to learn what sensible looks like!

I struggle with breakfast, but I'm going to make a concerted effort to have a protein-rich start to the day. Scrambled eggs for me tomorrow! I'll also invest in some peanut butter (who fat, and the one with the "rusks" in). I love it and could eat that straight from the jar!

This is why I'm so surprised there's an issue - I love food!! :D
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just took a really quick look at your diary...are you sure you're logging your amounts correctly? 1 leaf of lettuce? 10 grams of feta cheese? Everything sounded like tiny little amounts to me.

I agree with everyone's suggestions, though! You'll be much healthier to eat more regularly and higher-quality foods. :-)
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I just took a really quick look at your diary...are you sure you're logging your amounts correctly? 1 leaf of lettuce? 10 grams of feta cheese? Everything sounded like tiny little amounts to me.

I agree with everyone's suggestions, though! You'll be much healthier to eat more regularly and higher-quality foods. :-)
    I agree here. Even a single slice of American *cough* crap cheese is more than 10 grams. Feta cheese is actually more dense than that. Are you sure it wasn't ounces?
  • snowbunnyA
    Options

I agree here. Even a single slice of American *cough* crap cheese is more than 10 grams. Feta cheese is actually more dense than that. Are you sure it wasn't ounces?

1 outer leaf of lettuce and small amounts of everything because I made a wrap out of it with all the other bits chopped up inside - a little corner of feta crumbled up. I don't do ounces, all grams and I weighed everything as I went. I agree it would look a bit weird if it was just put out on the plate like that!
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions and support.

I'm definitely upping my intake to something sensible; I just need to learn what sensible looks like!

I struggle with breakfast, but I'm going to make a concerted effort to have a protein-rich start to the day. Scrambled eggs for me tomorrow! I'll also invest in some peanut butter (who fat, and the one with the "rusks" in). I love it and could eat that straight from the jar!

This is why I'm so surprised there's an issue - I love food!! :D

I never used to be a breakfast person either, i thought that i would eat breakfast and then not be able to stop eating all day, so avoided it. However, i'm trying to be sensible with food now, and am forcing myself to have breakfast and i love it! I usually have hard boiled eggs, or peanut butter on toast, so i'd say go for it :)
  • sarakfra
    sarakfra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Man, if you're 5'2" at 114 pounds, you don't need any real loss. That's my height, too, and I'm battling back to a comfy 120 from 130. But yes, you have a serious caloric deficit and that's unhealthy longterm.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    <insert expletives here>

Backstory: I'm recovering from an eating disorder so I have quite a bit of knowledge on the subject of increasing calories from so little. I started recovery on november 15th and prior to that I was eating 300-500 calories per day max and usually fasting a few times per week. This went on for several months. Before the severe restricting, I was eating 1400 calories per day and doing 4 hours of exercise (p90x and insanity. 2 DVDs of each) so I was burning around 1000 calories according to my conservative estimates. That went on for 1.5years before the restricting started.

So, here's what I did. I started with a 600 calorie per day goal. After a week I increased it by 100 calories then 2 weeks later by another 100 calories. At this point I was at 800 (it was very hard and I didn't hit it most days) then a week later I increased by another 100 calories....then two weeks later 100 more....so on an so forth until I got where I am now. 1750 calories. The weight gain was minimal--about 5lbs from 15 nov-27dec. Most of what I had lost was muscle so I'm working on gaining it back. I can't say where the weight gain would have stopped because I'm pregnant with baby #2 (the reason I went into recovery was so we could try for another baby). I also eased up on the exercise and did 1-2 DVDs per day. Now I just do 1 DVD. I hadn't done much exercise during my restrictive phase because I was simply too dizzy and weak to the point I physically couldn't do anything but walk short distances. If you haven't gotten to that point of weakness I'd say that it will probably be slightly easier--metabolism wise--to keep weight gain to a minimum especially if you've had trouble gaining in the past. They say it takes 6 months of eating a healthy amount for your systems to go back to normal and the excess weight to drop off again. Basically when you increase your calories, you will 'gain' some weight and your body often overshoots what it considers to be a healthy weight. Then if you keep eating properly, the weight will come off again. Make sure to pay attention to your macros as well and get enough protein. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Yeah...well, you have the Right idea BUT the wrong tool. Grab the baked chicken and drop the Irish Cream. It REALLY is NOT calories in - calories out. It is TYPE of calories in - what calories burned. Though I am a Vegetarian, you would have been better off eating 3-4 pieces of baked, skinless chicken than drinking the Irish Cream.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Wow! It never ceases to amaze me what crazy amounts of food people on here think are 'normal'....
  • snowbunnyA
    Options
    Man, if you're 5'2" at 114 pounds, you don't need any real loss. That's my height, too, and I'm battling back to a comfy 120 from 130. But yes, you have a serious caloric deficit and that's unhealthy longterm.

I'm not trying to lose at all - I don't even own a set of scales. I used to weigh myself pretty regularly and I know I never really fluctuate from 52/53 kgs. Body weight has no interest to me. What I would like to do is tone up and lose the bit of flab I have on my hips and stomach. If that means putting on 10kg, I don't care at all!
  • snowbunnyA
    Options
    Wow! It never ceases to amaze me what crazy amounts of food people on here think are 'normal'....

Sorry, I don't understand who that is aimed at? It certainly doesn't seem very constructive, whoever you're talking to. Do you have any advice?