Should I really care that much about my HRM?

Options
lina1131
lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
When I first started losing weight I wore my HRM for EVERY SINGLE WORKOUT because I had to know exactly how many calories I burned. It motivated me and pushed me because I wanted to see that calorie burn.

The more I am working out, the more I am not caring about it so much. It actually bothers me a little bit. Sometimes the watch doesn't read right, I have to keep adjusting, etc.

Maybe the exact number of calories I burn isn't all that important if I have a damn good workout by the way I feel at the end. I eat good, I workout hard, does that number really matter? I'm starting to think about just leaving it behind and focus how much I sweat rather than the number on the watch.

It's a good tool though, so I don't know. LOL!

Do you guys that have had great success wear one?

Replies

• nightdragon70
    nightdragon70 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I still try to wear mine during every workout.

My biggest problem though, was that I forgot to go in and readjust my weight in the settings. As I lost the weight, the calorie burn was not accurate since the HRM thought I was still 20 lbs heavier.

I honestly don't even look at the watch during the workout, but I love seeing the big numbers after I'm done
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight I wore my HRM for EVERY SINGLE WORKOUT because I had to know exactly how many calories I burned. It motivated me and pushed me because I wanted to see that calorie burn.

The more I am working out, the more I am not caring about it so much. It actually bothers me a little bit. Sometimes the watch doesn't read right, I have to keep adjusting, etc.

Maybe the exact number of calories I burn isn't all that important if I have a damn good workout by the way I feel at the end. I eat good, I workout hard, does that number really matter? I'm starting to think about just leaving it behind and focus how much I sweat rather than the number on the watch.

I say go for it! Ditch the HRM and just keep pushing yourself. I've never used a HRM and, yes, I'd love to know exactly how many calories I'm burning but does it really matter? For me, no. As long as my body keeps changing for the better it really doesn't. Plus I lift more then I do cardio and HRMs aren't accurate for weight lifting anyway
  • cgirlygirl
    cgirlygirl Posts: 49
    Options
    I still wear mine. I don't eat back exercise calories (though--on days I run, if I go 50-150 over, I'm not upset), but I still like seeing that number. It is like an internal challenge with myself to get to a certain number of calories burned before I am done :) If it motivates you, great. If not--I wouldn't worry about it!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I still wear mine and actually get mad at myself when I leave it at home. It's not so much about the calorie burn, I just like to keep my heart rate in a certain zone for as much as possible. According to my HRM I burn an large amount of calories, but I also know there is a percentage of error and that the HRM doesn't calculate the weight lifting portion of my workouts correctly, I always record less than what the HRM reads as far as calories burned. So for the calorie burn, I don't rely on it exactly, but for the recorded data in the watch, as well as, keeping up with my heart rate, it's still an important part of my workout.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I think its important since we should be eating back our calories.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I like mine not just for calories, but to actually monitor my heart.... but on the calories side you do tend to learn what your burn is = 10cals/min for medium - hard cardio, 5cals/min for weights in my case.

I used to try stay under 170BPM but accepted that my heart just likes to chill in the 180s when jogging, however, so now it's not that useful in monitoring anymore.

I think it's good for keeping a record of things such as time/date, as well as for checking resting heart rate and noticing if anything is a little -too- high :)
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM for running and using stationary machines. But I think its inaccurate during my Insanity videos. I guess all the jumping and complex movements throw the sensor off. I'm just waiting for the day the reading says "Sit the **** down so I can get your HR"
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Eating back exercise calories is completely dependent on how you calculate your goals. If you are going by MFP goals then yes, eat them back. I am going by TDEE - 20%, it accounts for my exercise, so I do not eat them back.

If your goal already accounts for exercise DO NOT eat back exercise calories. If your goal does not account for the them yes eat them back. Not everyone uses the same method, so not everyone should be eating back.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I like mine not just for calories, but to actually monitor my heart....

My heart rate is a good indication of progress in fitness. Look at these two runs and notice how my average heart rate has dropped quite a bit even at a much faster pace. That's improvement and yes this makes a huge difference in what speed you can run at.

AugRun_zps9e95889e.jpg

APRRun_zps703d6803.jpg
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    My HRM is not a chest strap, so it's WAAAY off, even when I wear it as a watch. Because it has the built in pedometer, I wear it for the pedometer function only, and to check the heart rate occasionally. I've got another calculator online that helps with the walking calories, and non of my loss to date has been through using the HRM.

Good luck on your journey!
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I like mine not just for calories, but to actually monitor my heart....

My heart rate is a good indication of progress in fitness. Look at these two runs and notice how my average heart rate has dropped quite a bit even at a much faster pace. That's improvement and yes this makes a huge difference in what speed you can run at.

AugRun_zps9e95889e.jpg

APRRun_zps703d6803.jpg

^^^THIS!
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I like to use it for both calories burned and as a tool to measure my cardiovascular health. I do not check what the rate is while working out, just use it as a data tool for recordkeeping. It is nice to see my heart not have to work as hard while running faster and further!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I say go for it! Ditch the HRM and just keep pushing yourself. I've never used a HRM and, yes, I'd love to know exactly how many calories I'm burning but does it really matter? For me, no. As long as my body keeps changing for the better it really doesn't. Plus I lift more then I do cardio and HRMs aren't accurate for weight lifting anyway

Exactly in all counts!! I never used a HRM either; I took what ever calories the machines and/or MFP gave me, and I did very well, and still do.
  • lodiloohoo64
    lodiloohoo64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I threw mine out. I so obsessed with it and it slowed me down, probably the added stress created by keeping constant score. It was a freeing thing for me. I really am seeing better results simply by showing up and doing my workouts everyday. I also notice that letting my body tell me when to push harder and higher is making me stronger. I say, don't keep score, just push for better and stronger. Keeping score is a limit maker.
  • PTMama0614
    PTMama0614 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out, I didn't wear my HRM and I tracked my workout calories burned based on what MFP or the machine gave me. The problem I found after I started wearing it was that I was tracking way more calories than I actually burned. And I do eat back some of those calories but not all. So when I started wearing a HRM, I found what I was really burning and could base what I eat on those calories. Also, I had reached a plateau and wasn't losing before I started wearing my HRM. So do what you feel is best for you. The most important thing is that you are working out. You know your body and know when you are pushing yourself.
  • lina1131
    Options
    I think I will put it away for a month, go to my workouts and do my thing and see how I feel. I just feel like I focus so much during my workout on what my HR is, if it's recording properly, if the chest strap is on right, etc. Then last week my kick boxing trainer looked at me and said "why do you care about how many calories you burn? Measure your workout by how much you sweat" and for some reason that made me think, you know what, he could be right. Instead of worry about the damn strap and watch I could be focusing on pushing myself harder.

I will try it. I don't have anything to lose except for weight...
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options

Eating back exercise calories is completely dependent on how you calculate your goals. If you are going by MFP goals then yes, eat them back. I am going by TDEE - 20%, it accounts for my exercise, so I do not eat them back.

If your goal already accounts for exercise DO NOT eat back exercise calories. If your goal does not account for the them yes eat them back. Not everyone uses the same method, so not everyone should be eating back.

And this case you don't need to worry about an HRM. I guess it all depends on what works for you as long as it's healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to calorie burn...even the best models are only 70-75% accurate and I use the TDEE method, so my exercise estimate is based on hours per week, not an "exact" number of calories.

I do use my HRM when I run, and that's about it...I use it to make sure I'm staying within a certain HR zone and not going over. I guess it's nice to see calorie burn, especially if you're new to exercise and fitness...it can be motivating...but at a certain point you just do your workout. HRMs are great for measuring your HR and preventing you from over/under training.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I find it helps you become familiar with your body when new. I like mine and I found it invaluable in the beginning.

Now I can estimate pretty good without one..

I would take a consistent workout schedule without wearing one over a less consistent workout schedule wearing one... confused? haha....I think consistency is the key and not really how "hard" you work (within reason)
  • lina1131
    Options
    I just got back from my workout for the day without my HRM. I did 30 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill and some upper body. It felt good to not pay attention to a watch and just focus on the workout. I think I like it.