Freaking Stuck

Options
So I am stuck for the past 2 months at 224-227.. I have lowered calories to 1200 a day with regular exercise.. I have been told thats too few with excercising and my body was in starvation mode, so I raised them to ~1800 which is what MFP gives me with the excercise I am doing. I cannot seem to break this barrier. I still have a gut I want to be rid of. Any ideas? Thanks for your input.

Frank

Replies

• 1luckygal
    1luckygal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What do your 1200 calories consist of? I found that if I do 1200 calories and eat veggies, lean meats and fruits I actually eat a LOT - and calories are HELL to figure out! I've been stuck for a while too, but finally seeing some changes. I started P90X and also just started hitting the gym for an extra umph. I'm tired of clean eating and working my butt off and not seeing results. You've got this - most importantly DON'T give up! Weight loss SUCKS - but when you get there or start seeing results it's all worth it!
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hey bro... Gotta eat more than that. Get in the gym, and lift heavy. When you are at home, bust out some squats. when you are at work, do some plank holds. Just try and up your intensity and eat clean foods. 1200 cals isn't gonna fuel you for what you should be doing.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    No man should be eating 1200 calories a day.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    First let me say that I checked out your profile and you are an INSPIRATION to anyone who is "tired of being the fat guy". You have done a truly amazing job in the past year!!!

I too am freaking stuck! I lost 50 lbs in my first year (2010), kept it off for 2 years, then gained back 10 after I broke my wrist last July. Even though I kept working out I was "pushing the envelope" way too much and first I gained back a couple of pounds, then a couple more, then boom, 5 in one week. That was 8 months ago and I can't seem to lose it, no matter what the heck I do!

I tried 1200 calories and eating back my exercise calories. Nothing. I tried eating completely clean 6 days of the week. Nothing. I tried raising my calories to my BMR. Nothing. I decided to shock my body and April 1st started a boot camp where I'm working harder than I've ever done before 3 x a week, and increased my calories to 1600 (still eating back my WO calories). Nothing. Well, not really nothing, I've actually not gained weight on the scale have gained more fat around my midsection, about 1 inch from when I started the boot camp a month ago.

Last week I decided to take advice from some folks on MFP and did my TDEE calculation and reset my daily calories to 1800 and not eating back exercise cals. I know it's only been a week but I've gained 2 lbs on the scale and today couldn't wear the pants I wore 2 weeks ago because the waist is too tight.

I AM FREAKING FRUSTRATED!!!!!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Check your TDEE #'s.... sounds way too low for calories. Also, its not just the #'s but WHAT you are eating. I have seen many people make small changes to their diet and limit the calories but the quality is still pretty grim... high sodium/pre-packaged foods/fast foods and the like.

Maybe try to get more whole foods in your diet... are you drinking your water? that can play a big part too. Good luck!
  • NGM7492
    NGM7492 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    First let me say that I checked out your profile and you are an INSPIRATION to anyone who is "tired of being the fat guy". You have done a truly amazing job in the past year!!!

I too am freaking stuck! I lost 50 lbs in my first year (2010), kept it off for 2 years, then gained back 10 after I broke my wrist last July. Even though I kept working out I was "pushing the envelope" way too much and first I gained back a couple of pounds, then a couple more, then boom, 5 in one week. That was 8 months ago and I can't seem to lose it, no matter what the heck I do!

I tried 1200 calories and eating back my exercise calories. Nothing. I tried eating completely clean 6 days of the week. Nothing. I tried raising my calories to my BMR. Nothing. I decided to shock my body and April 1st started a boot camp where I'm working harder than I've ever done before 3 x a week, and increased my calories to 1600 (still eating back my WO calories). Nothing. Well, not really nothing, I've actually not gained weight on the scale have gained more fat around my midsection, about 1 inch from when I started the boot camp a month ago.

Last week I decided to take advice from some folks on MFP and did my TDEE calculation and reset my daily calories to 1800 and not eating back exercise cals. I know it's only been a week but I've gained 2 lbs on the scale and today couldn't wear the pants I wore 2 weeks ago because the waist is too tight.

I AM FREAKING FRUSTRATED!!!!!
    TYVM for the compliment. It was my friends and the people on here who helped me so much. I Was talking to my Chiropractor a little bit ago about basically the same thing as this post. He said do alot of situps and crunches to build up my mid section muscle. That will help burn the fat in the mid section better than legs and arms.

@ the poster talking about lifting... My arms and legs are already big not fat anymore but still decent sized when I used to work out hard. I want to tone them more than build them up. I am going to start doing pushups pull ups crunches situps and squats :-) Thanks for the advice
  • NGM7492
    Options
    What do your 1200 calories consist of? I found that if I do 1200 calories and eat veggies, lean meats and fruits I actually eat a LOT - and calories are HELL to figure out! I've been stuck for a while too, but finally seeing some changes. I started P90X and also just started hitting the gym for an extra umph. I'm tired of clean eating and working my butt off and not seeing results. You've got this - most importantly DON'T give up! Weight loss SUCKS - but when you get there or start seeing results it's all worth it!
    Morning is usually fruit and coffee no sugar 1 creamer. Lunch is almost always a Jimmy Johns unwich of some kind then a normal dinner keeping with the low fat idea... Except when I go out for chinese or hotwings... I just eat ALOT less of that than I used to.

Frank
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    So I am stuck for the past 2 months at 224-227.. I have lowered calories to 1200 a day with regular exercise.. I have been told thats too few with excercising and my body was in starvation mode, so I raised them to ~1800 which is what MFP gives me with the excercise I am doing. I cannot seem to break this barrier. I still have a gut I want to be rid of. Any ideas? Thanks for your input.

Frank

Don't guess, weigh your food, get accurate exercise calculations, do some strength training 3-4 days a week and some light cardio. Hit your food macros. Plan the bulk of your meals out ahead of time and log them before you eat them.

You should be able to eat at 1800 - 2000 calories and still lose at that weight.
  • NGM7492
    Options
    Check your TDEE #'s.... sounds way too low for calories. Also, its not just the #'s but WHAT you are eating. I have seen many people make small changes to their diet and limit the calories but the quality is still pretty grim... high sodium/pre-packaged foods/fast foods and the like.

Maybe try to get more whole foods in your diet... are you drinking your water? that can play a big part too. Good luck!

I drink what I consider alot of water, I do not do alot of any kind of soda diet or other wise, like maybe 1 soda made with spenda a week. I changed my goals now MFF has me at 1690 a day. Should I do that and not eat my excersise calories?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help...I've been stuck for 5 months or so in the same 5 pound range. Tried TDEE -15%, Tried MFP settings and ate back calories, tried weight lifting (which is burning inches, but I want the damn scale to move!!!), tried eating more, tried eating less...I have decided to eat at maintenance for a month and see how it goes...

I know I am not stuck, really, because the inches are coming off...but I just really want the scale to move closer to my goal weight too. I hope maintenance works to reset!
  • NGM7492
    Options
    OK Silly question what are TDEEs?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure. How many calories you burn a day including the basic things you do like brushing your teeth or walking around at work. Mine is about 2.500 calories. If I eat that amount my weight stays pretty much the same.
  • 1luckygal
    1luckygal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Breakfast!!! You need protein - lots more protein and should try to maybe eat 4-6 times a day... I know its not always convenient... but it keeps your metabolism going. Try maybe eggs for breakfast, 2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, 1 piece of whole wheat toast, 1/2-1 cup of fruit and your coffee.. sounds like a lot but it's under 400 cals.

Snack options, veggies, jerky (just watch the sodium), nuts, string cheese....

Lunch - try to eat whole wheat with your subs, lots of veggies on the sub - no soda,.. try to get actual chicken strips instead of deli meats.. or meat balls, etc..

Dinner - 2 cups veggies, 4oz lean meats

DRINK 1/2 your weight in water EVERY DAY!

:)