Breaking plateaus and unusual gaining

Options
This is my first log onto MFP online and I had no idea about all these great topics and being able to find other users! So here is my issue (s). I keep randomly putting on weight at different times. Sometimes 4 lbs sometimes 10. The most recent was 4 lbs and this is while still working out and eating right. This last 4 lbs was put on after taking a 5 month break from the gym. During my break from working out I changed my eating habits and was loosing a steady 2-3 lbs a week. I am so frustrated about gaining this weight. Let me also add, I don't think this is muscle gain. I haven't seen any changes (except the gain) and I've been concentrating heavy on cardio, not weight training.

Has anyone dealt with this? I seriously feel like I could cry. My Dr made it seem like I was just being lazy and not trying hard. That was actually the reason I started tracking so consistently on MFP. I wanted to have months of proof to show him what I was eating etc.

I could really use some suggestions as to what the gaining might be from and how to break past the plateau on stuck at. Thank you

Replies

• jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    How long have you been logging everything on MFP?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you doing?? Open your diary!! :happy:
  • amatxuof5
    amatxuof5 Posts: 40
    Options
    This is my first log onto MFP online and I had no idea about all these great topics and being able to find other users! So here is my issue (s). I keep randomly putting on weight at different times. Sometimes 4 lbs sometimes 10. The most recent was 4 lbs and this is while still working out and eating right. This last 4 lbs was put on after taking a 5 month break from the gym. During my break from working out I changed my eating habits and was loosing a steady 2-3 lbs a week. I am so frustrated about gaining this weight. Let me also add, I don't think this is muscle gain. I haven't seen any changes (except the gain) and I've been concentrating heavy on cardio, not weight training.

Has anyone dealt with this? I seriously feel like I could cry. My Dr made it seem like I was just being lazy and not trying hard. That was actually the reason I started tracking so consistently on MFP. I wanted to have months of proof to show him what I was eating etc.

I could really use some suggestions as to what the gaining might be from and how to break past the plateau on stuck at. Thank you

Have you had your thyroid checked? I have had the same issue, and last year when it happened to me I went to the dr. She did a bunch of blood work and it turned out that my thyroid was messed up. She had me take a supplement and that seemed to help.
  • makeupbymingles
    Options
    I started the week before Thanksgiving of 2012.
  • makeupbymingles
    Options
    How many calories are you doing?? Open your diary!! :happy:

I am doing 1200 a day and most of the time I hit close to that. Sometimes I am under depending on how much I worked out that day. What do you mean by open my diary?
  • makeupbymingles
    Options
    How long have you been logging everything on MFP?

i started the week before Thanksgiving in 2012
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I quite followed what you said...are you 4 pounds up after starting back working out after a 5 month break? If so, it could be water retention to repair muscles. When I do any sort of crazier than normal workout, I usually see 2 pounds added to the scale the next day, and it takes a while to fall off (usually by the time my muscles stop being sore). It is especially bad for me with leg strength work like lunges/squats.
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if you said this already somewhere and I missed it, but did the 4lbs come and stay for a while, or did the 4lbs just randomly show up and leave the next day/next week? It could be period bloating, water retention after working out like endoftheside explained, or simply not going to the bathroom (ok, 4 lbs of constipation would be extreme but there's always a combination of different factors...). Did you eat a lot of sodium? Does wheat make you bloated? I'd say as long as those 4lbs are gone within a week, don't count them as weight gain but as natural fluctuation.
  • kasimonson
    kasimonson Posts: 1
    Options
    HI Mel,
    Ur cousin here...first off most Doctors are buttholes when it comes to weight loss and gain. I have struggled with my weight most my life. I have had 2 heart attacks and was borderline diabetic. When I hit 300 pounds I was desperate. I had tried every weight loss tend out here, even the dangerous diet pill cocktails. I decided to have gastric-bypass surgery in 2010. Now some say that is the lazy way out but I am here to tell u it is by far the lazy way out. 2.5 years later I found myself struggling with my weight once agian. My reg Doctor ( well former, should I say) told me that he does not approve of weight loss surgery bc it makes people lazy and all they have to do is pull themselves away from the table and put the fork down. I was very insulted bc he insinuated that all i do is sit and eat. My obesity Dr, knows the struggle and when I told him he said that is why people cannot gain the weight bc of attitudes like that.... For your Dr to solely focus on 4 pounds is ridiculousness, I would love to have a body like urs, but unfortunately I am 50 years old and things sag and drag no matter the weight loss and no matter how much I do " toning " exercises. I agree with what someone said look at ur food intake and change ur program up a bit...one thing I learned with this weight loss journey is that u may go weeks or months without losing weight...ur body catches on and starts storing and once u change it up a bti it will give up what it stores... I am by far a weight loss expert or an exercise fanatic...but I do understand the frustration and the effect that frustration has on ur weight...keep chin up and protein is ur friend:)
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I was eating around 1200 cals a day and plateued for about three week. I recently upped my calories to about 1600 and started eating back some of my exercise calories and my weight is starting to head back down again!!! Doesn't make sense to me but that is what a lot of folks on here suggest and it seems to be working. Lost about 5 pounds in the last two weeks.