n00b from New Orleans - hard place to loose weight!!

Options
Just turned 40 in March, I feel like I've been the same weight since high school. I did loose a good amount 4-5 years ago but started unhealthy eating habits again and stopped walking. Usually been around 190. It's all in my gut and love handles. I bought a treadmill few weeks ago and I've been eating right and drinking only water for a month. That's what lead me to this sight which I think is awesome for keeping track of everything. No fast food AT all. I had gotten up to around 198 (I'm 5' 6"). This is about the point where a light goes off in my head. I do 40 mins at 4 incline and 4 mph for a 500 calorie burn everyday. I'm current hovering around 184-185. I'm also doing 50 to 100 sit ups each day. See what happens! I'm really trying to be more conscious about what I eat, not trying to diet but change my eating habits (bags of gummy bears, frozen pizza, etc etc. ) Staying away from fried stuff as well. I am on a mission and I want a flat stomach just to see what it's like!! :) anyone want to add me go for it!

Replies

• EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    It's only hard because you believe it is.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Heck, gummy bears and frozen pizza, I'd be down someplace for fried shrimp or gumbo!!
  • pecantan09
    pecantan09 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    NOLA food compares to no other...born and raised!!! Welcome and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Considering it's a place with rich local history and food carts I don't think it would be that hard...
  • RockyPal
    RockyPal Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm very head strong and have strong convictions. I have no problem staying away from the bad foods and don't crave it, just when your not thinking about your health and kind of living hap hazard in regards to eating was my problem. :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    wherever you live they have their "goodies" to munch on,i'm in the u.k and love fish and chips for beef and Yorkshire puddings,or spotted **** ROFL! (don't ask) :noway:

anyways, it is a matter of self control you can still have some goodies just not tons!
    good luck x
  • RockyPal
    Options
    Considering it's a place with rich local history and food carts I don't think it would be that hard...

food carts.. yea well, two minutes up the road you can the best 12" roast beef poboy dripping with gravy cheese and mayo and an awesome side of onion rings.. you tell me :)
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Mindful eating will get you where you want to be and help keep you there when you've arrived. Louisiana isn't any different than any other state--we all have our local foods that can make us heavy when we overdo it. I keep all the favorites without sacraficing the flavor, reducing or eliminating the excess fat and calories. Switching to whole grain alternatives and watching my carbs. It can be done. Takes a little planning and work to get started but once you're plan is in place nothing can stand in your way. Good luck and many healthier days ahead!
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ill add you! Im not perfect and i certainly dont follow any diet with a label like clean or vegan or primal, but losing weight hasnt been too hard now that im keeping it in moderation. Its not as hard as you think, good luck!!!
  • RockyPal
    Options
    wherever you live they have their "goodies" to munch on,i'm in the u.k and love fish and chips for beef and Yorkshire puddings,or spotted **** ROFL! (don't ask) :noway:

anyways, it is a matter of self control you can still have some goodies just not tons!
    good luck x

true :) I have pretty good control once it's on my mind, its like I said when I'm not thinking about it and just believing I can consume whatever. Also, i've been to London twice, loved the fish and chips as well but the tall glass of hot dark ale took me a while to get down :)
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hey neighbor. I'm on the westbank. Being in NOLA and trying to lose weight is tough, but it can be done. It certainly gets tougher with fried shrimp po-boys, Superbowl, Mardi Gras, crawfish boils, Jazz Fest, etc. But, set a plan and stick with it. Allow yourself a few parties, but keep your eye on your goal. We have to make a few sacrifices, but it is what it is...
  • RockyPal
    Options
    Mindful eating will get you where you want to be and help keep you there when you've arrived. Louisiana isn't any different than any other state--we all have our local foods that can make us heavy when we overdo it. I keep all the favorites without sacraficing the flavor, reducing or eliminating the excess fat and calories. Switching to whole grain alternatives and watching my carbs. It can be done. Takes a little planning and work to get started but once you're plan is in place nothing can stand in your way. Good luck and many healthier days ahead!

thank you and congrats on your weight loss. I have switched to whole grains for a while now. Definitely watching the fat.
  • RockyPal
    Options
    Hey neighbor. I'm on the westbank. Being in NOLA and trying to lose weight is tough, but it can be done. It certainly gets tougher with fried shrimp po-boys, Superbowl, Mardi Gras, crawfish boils, Jazz Fest, etc. But, set a plan and stick with it. Allow yourself a few parties, but keep your eye on your goal. We have to make a few sacrifices, but it is what it is...

You hit the nail on the head :) And i'm in Marrero, so we definitely neighbors. Luckily i'm not a big beer drinker although I'm about to switch to heineken light lol. Also like to point out that unless you live near audobon park or what not, there really isn't any place to walk or things to do for exercise, like bike trails etc. not on this side of the river. I love my city, life long resident, but I envy people who live near beaches, parks etc.. if you think it doesn't help motivate you, your wrong. Nothing but rain over here lately anyways :(
  • mellymo29
    mellymo29 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I went to school at UNO in the mid 80s and boy, do I still miss New Orleans!! I lived south of City Park and there was the most heartbreaking snowball stand at Carrolton and Dumaine. Oh my lord the ice cream, the snowballs in summer. And Copelands, oh dear, crawfish etouffe. And that Molly's Pub, Port of Call, Bud's Broiler, my heart yearns. . .

All I have to say is that when you make red beans and rice, you can't put any sausage, too much sodium. And you have to use brown rice or no rice.
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    And i'm in Marrero, so we definitely neighbors.

Make sure to Vote No on the tolls on Saturday. :bigsmile:
    Also like to point out that unless you live near audobon park or what not, there really isn't any place to walk or things to do for exercise, like bike trails etc. not on this side of the river.

True. I did a Google search recently to see if there was a dog walk park or something. City Park was the only place. I work on the Lakefront and see joggers and bicylist up here all the time. Not so much on the WB. We do have a walking track at Oakdale (Wall Blvd). But, I just walk my neighborhood, me.
  • RockyPal
    Options
    And i'm in Marrero, so we definitely neighbors.

Make sure to Vote No on the tolls on Saturday. :bigsmile:
    Also like to point out that unless you live near audobon park or what not, there really isn't any place to walk or things to do for exercise, like bike trails etc. not on this side of the river.

True. I did a Google search recently to see if there was a dog walk park or something. City Park was the only place. I work on the Lakefront and see joggers and bicylist up here all the time. Not so much on the WB. We do have a walking track at Oakdale (Wall Blvd). But, I just walk my neighborhood, me.

Before the started work on the huey p long I used to drive from marrero to audobon just to walk 2-3 laps around. And it was working. but became cumbersome once the work began and then life just got where I couldn't take out that much time. And yea, there are walking tracks but for me it's just not as appealing as a walk in an actual park or somewhere scenic. going to santa monica next month (second time) and I can't wait to rent a bike and ride up and down the beach!!! all i can think about. Smartest thing I did was picked up a 2011 nordictrac treadmill off craigslist for 350.00. Especially with all this rain we having! Keep it up :) hope I can say i lost 40 lbs or so one of these days!!
  • RockyPal
    Options
    I went to school at UNO in the mid 80s and boy, do I still miss New Orleans!! I lived south of City Park and there was the most heartbreaking snowball stand at Carrolton and Dumaine. Oh my lord the ice cream, the snowballs in summer. And Copelands, oh dear, crawfish etouffe. And that Molly's Pub, Port of Call, Bud's Broiler, my heart yearns. . .

All I have to say is that when you make red beans and rice, you can't put any sausage, too much sodium. And you have to use brown rice or no rice.

lol.. see. the first thing I look for is nice big chunks of sausage :D never tried with brown rice, have to see how that works out. the other day I had home made gumbo as well as good bit of beef jerky earlier that day and my sodium was through the roof lol.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    BTT

Although I live in Slidell, I frequent New Orleans alot. My family, my church, and my gig is there. And outside of all those corner stores with all the great food, many families and friends love to get together and cook things like gumbo, red beans, cabbage, hot sausage po boys, fried chicken, fried fish, bbq ribs and chicken, and let me stop because I'm getting hungry thinking about all this. LOL

I come from a family and a group of friends who love to throw down from twice a month to once a week. Like the Best Banker said (smile), you have to set a plan and stick to it. It's cool to enjoy a piece of BBQ chicken at a get together or a piece of fried chicken at a Saints game watch party SO LONG you've been consistently sticking to a clean eating and healthy workout regimen on a daily basis. It's hard to lose weight with all the goodies wherever you go (I'm convinced of that after watching drive ins-dives-and diners), you just have to tap into some self control and you will be fine.