What does cauliflower mash taste like?!?!

Options
I'm intrigued.

Replies

• cattrill
    cattrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also would like to know about this!

My friend from uni made it the other day, said it was nice but she did use a hand blender rather than regular masher, which sadly I dont own, so if anyone has experience making it and can give tips!
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have made it using both hand & electric. Electric makes it more mushy where hand you can adjust to your texture liking. I like is just a little bit lumpy. Add some spray butter - and I am in love.
    It is an amazing substitute for mashed potatoes.

edit to add: while it doesn't taste like mashed potatoes..but as weird as it is...it doesn't really taste like cauliflower either LOL
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Do you mean cauliflower mashed potatoes? It's not bad. It kind of tastes like cauliflower, but better becuase it's mashed up (I don't care for cooked whole cauliflower - only raw). It doesn't taste like mashed potatoes but doesn't really taste like a pile of veggies either, if that makes sense :wink:
    You can put different spices in it to make it taste good - garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper is what I'd do. When I tried it I put fresh parsley in it, so that's another option.

My mom has made it w/ 1/2 potatoes and 1/2 cauliflower, which obviously would taste more potatoey (if you have kids you need to trick or something).

Eta: I used a hand masher, you don't need any blender :drinker:
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have made cauliflower mash several times. The family likes it, so I quit making potatoes. I mash it by hand, add seasoning, sometimes a little butter. Very good.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, mashed cauliflower? Unless you add something else to it what else would it taste like?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I love it, I make mine in chicken broth, then hand mash it cause we like it a little lumpy, then I add some crumbled turkey bacon.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's DELICIOUS! I make it the same way I would make mashed potatoes. Hubby and I love it even more than mashed potato. I just buy a few heads of fresh cauliflower...cut and separate...boil until fork tender. Then use a hand blender, (or whatever method you prefer...you probably could use a potato masher, and have a more "lumpy mash"). I add butter, milk, garlic, pepper. It's delicious, and low cal.

Skinnytaste has a great receipe for it.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/creamy-cauliflower-puree.html
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mashed cauliflower! There was a restaurant near my old house that had it. Theirs tasted like it might have just a bit of sour cream in it. Otherwise, it's just cauliflower, but mashed up.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I would imaging it tastes like....

wait for it.....

Cauliflower.

Just a wild guess.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I make it with a little bit of fat free cheddar cheese and a little ranch powder, and it is a good replacement for mashed potatoes. I've also made it with garlic powder and pepper, no matter which way I make it, it's tasty and the kids don't really notice that it's not potatoes.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    It's tasty but it's not mashed potatoes. I would rather just run a couple miles and have the real thing.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Gross. Don't let anyone tell you that you won't miss mashed potatoes, because you will
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Chicken
  • Superrhi
    Superrhi Posts: 84
    Options
    i didn't even know this existed. Deffinately one to experiment with soon! Sounds Yummy :smile:
  • Rahsgirl1099
    Options
    Im glad you posted this! I've heard in the past of someone using Cauliflower for mashed potatoes but forgot about it.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Mashed up buttcheeks. Gross.
  • g33kg0ddess
    g33kg0ddess Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just made cauliflower mash few weeks ago and i thought it tasted pretty good. Texture wise, it comes pretty close to mashed potatoes. Taste wise, of course I prefer potatoes. Lol. But yea, it tasted close enough though. I added some garlic, milk, salt and pepper and it was tasty. I'd eat it again.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    like cauliflower....mashed

In all seriousness, it's good. I like it. But just like you can't expect a Boca burger to taste like beef, you can't expect cauliflower to taste like potatoes.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think it is gross...because I don't like cauliflower. I thought adding butter to it and changing the texture would help but no not for me. I don't see what the big issue with mashed potatoes is, if you make them at home, measure out some low fat milk and little bit of butter. I've been known to add ranch seasoning and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese to mine without a huge caloric impact....just sayin
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it by itself. What I do is mash a head of boiled cauliflower and mix that with a package of instant mashed potatoes with garlic. It is really good and you have basically cut the calorie count of the mashed potatoes in half. My husband said if I hadn't told him what it was, he would have just thought it was mashed potatoes.