Runners poops!

Options
I hear this is common but I have a little heart attack every-time I finish a run because I know within 5 minutes Ill get the poops!
Last time I finished a race and the line up through the food corral was slow and long and it was the only way out!...I had a mild heart attack knowing that at any second I was most likely going to poop my pants in front of everyone.
Then after the initial poop ...if I eat anything within a couple hours after running, it goes right through me...then ...Im fine.
I dont think it actually has anything to do with the food I eat before (when I race I dont eat before) ... but it doesnt make a difference. Will this get better? Seems to be getting more routine as time goes on.
However makes me hesitant to try anything longer than a 10k or do any trail running...or run with anyone for that matter. Id like to keep a little pride. Any tips, ticks or advice...this sucks!

Replies

• hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ive read it has to do with sympathetic and parasympathic response. Not sure though...hopefully someone else has some better info.
  • bridgjones75
    bridgjones75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Runners trots are very common. Some people do have GI issues after runs because of what the poster said above. Look at what you are eating before runs. Are you doing GU and Gatorade while you race/run? Though some can handle it, a lot of people have problems with that combo.
  • louismetal
    louismetal Posts: 19
    Options
    Eurgh, I feel your pain! Before a race I eat nothing too wet or bulky, I 'd eat something light but relatively calorie dense like some Soreen malt loaf and pop some immodium literally just before the race, I've not done anything longer than a half marathon but they sure do the trick without, erm, blocking me up either! I can't seem to avoid a mad toilet dash after a race without them! :)