Obesity and poverty...

Options

Replies

• ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I see alot talk about those who are receiving food stamps and other types of government assistance. But what about those families who do not qualify for any state assistance but do not make enough money to thrive on. I don't think the issue is just as simple as to stop having babies especially when some politicians are determined to restrict access to birth control. I think there are larger issues at play.

Im going off topic. No politician is trying to limit access to birth control. they just don't think the Federal Gov't should subsidize peoples sex habits. Condoms are sold in drug stores and there is a variety of other forms of BC women can take.
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    Forgive me for saying this,but I don't even go to a grocery store for the first few days of the month because it's just too heart breaking to see the over-weight & "under-privileged" loading up their grocery carts with bologna, sugary treats, soda, chips, pudding, junk & other "food" for their families.

Just as many people complain when those on assistance buy things like meat or milk from animals raised w/o antibiotics and hormones, wild caught fish over farm raised, organic produce or other higher priced healthy options.

Oh, puhleezeee... people see what they want to see! Do you how many educated and wealthier families buy that crap too? And did you stalk this family to see if they were paying with food stamps? Judgey Mcjudgey. I grew up with a single mom that made $24,000 a year and we has many nights where we were hungry. My mom didn't feed us junk food because we couldn't afford it, but in America there's a total lack of education regarding what is healthy! GMOs, processed foods, pesticide laden produce. People living below the poverty line are not shopping at Whole Foods and they would be judged if they were too.

The problem is American has a corporate controlled food supply. Eat the crap so you get cancer so that we can treat you with drugs.
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    I think we have to step back ( me included) and realize that there are at least 2 kinds of poverty. On the one hand we have the people who are poor. Who are doing the best they know how with what they are given. They don't always make the best choices but they try to fit in the healthier alternatives when and where they can. They may or may not have the resources like good quality food to choose from but when the opportunity presents itself to do better they always choose that

The second kind of poverty is the single mom who by choice has had baby after baby. She knows to do better but its just so much easier to get help every month from a government she never sees and from tax payers she couldn't care less about. If given the choice she would get her hair or nails done rather then feed her kids and thinks its up to the state to not only educate her kids on how to do better but support her kids.

That's just my take on it.

It's not sexist. Most single men don't qualify for public assistance.

That is quite the classist/sexist statement. I think that is a huge generalization of individuals who are living in abject poverty. That sets-up quite the dichotomy and limits the ability to think outside the box.
  • kekeleeks
    kekeleeks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for saying this,but I don't even go to a grocery store for the first few days of the month because it's just too heart breaking to see the over-weight & "under-privileged" loading up their grocery carts with bologna, sugary treats, soda, chips, pudding, junk & other "food" for their families.

Just as many people complain when those on assistance buy things like meat or milk from animals raised w/o antibiotics and hormones, wild caught fish over farm raised, organic produce or other higher priced healthy options.

Oh, puhleezeee... people see what they want to see! Do you how many educated and wealthier families buy that crap too? And did you stalk this family to see if they were paying with food stamps? Judgey Mcjudgey. I grew up with a single mom that made $24,000 a year and we has many nights where we were hungry. My mom didn't feed us junk food because we couldn't afford it, but in America there's a total lack of education regarding what is healthy! GMOs, processed foods, pesticide laden produce. People living below the poverty line are not shopping at Whole Foods and they would be judged if they were too.

The problem is American has a corporate controlled food supply. Eat the crap so you get cancer so that we can treat you with drugs.

YES!!! This my point when I say we live in a culture that promotes unhealthy choices/living. Dead on
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Umm, WTH are you talking about?? I can't even tell if you are agreeing with me or arguing with me, but since you quoted me and jumped on a soapbox, I assume it's one or the other.

I was actually thinking of my daughter so I wouldn't need to follow her. I know what she buys and how she pays for it, and I've heard the comments.
  • Schmidt722
    Schmidt722 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would be curious to know how many of the people who are pointing out how inexpensive it can be to purchase healthy foods, are actually living in impoverished areas with high access to convenience foods but little access to fresh produce and meat. How many work multiple jobs and must use public transportation to transport these bulk groceries home. How many have commutes that put them home late at night, where they can then begin cooking a healthy dinner from scratch. How many grew up with parents instiling poor nutrition habits that they themselves took initiative to break. How many decided to take up the task of learning how to cook in addition to the stresses of work, childcare, and barely making ends meet.

I get that you can go to the grocery store and buy bulk foods, vegetables, etc. and spend less over the course of a week or a month than you would purchasing cheap convenience foods. Sure. But there are other factors that don't always make this the most realistic option.

I do think everyone (regardless of financial status) is capable of improving their health and nutrition. I just don't like to see it explained away as something that is equally feasible for everyone.
  • pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    You are right. We lost electric a few times growing up because we could not afford to pay the bill. Often the choice was food or electric.. But I think anyone getting food stamps should have to go through nutrition class including cooking. How to cook beans (dry beans are cheap) how to make food in bulk to save money. There are so many ways to save money. But education is key.
    and YES the poor are by far less educated that the wealthier. And YES the middle and upper classes can be uneducated too. Most are about nutrition. If I had my druthers I would have it a Core class in college! How to eat, what to eat ( no fad diet crap), how to shop! It would make us all healthier.

The point is poverty does lead to ovesity. BUT if those people were helped and educated they would do better. MOST poor people think they have no choice. If you told moms look here is a better way and it is inexpensive. Don't you think that most moms would do it?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

YES!!! This my point when I say we live in a culture that promotes unhealthy choices/living. Dead on

But both the rich and poor live in that culture. As do those the thin and the fat, the healthy and the sick.
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    I would be curious to know how many of the people who are pointing out how inexpensive it can be to purchase healthy foods, are actually living in impoverished areas with high access to convenience foods but little access to fresh produce and meat. How many work multiple jobs and must use public transportation to transport these bulk groceries home. How many have commutes that put them home late at night, where they can then begin cooking a healthy dinner from scratch. How many grew up with parents instiling poor nutrition habits that they themselves took initiative to break. How many decided to take up the task of learning how to cook in addition to the stresses of work, childcare, and barely making ends meet.

I get that you can go to the grocery store and buy bulk foods, vegetables, etc. and spend less over the course of a week or a month than you would purchasing cheap convenience foods. Sure. But there are other factors that don't always make this the most realistic option.

I do think everyone (regardless of financial status) is capable of improving their health and nutrition. I just don't like to see it explained away as something that is equally feasible for everyone.

I don't believe we are saying its equally feasible for everyone. But I believe where there is a will there will always be a way.. My mother made meals ahead of time. She was usually home from work (by bus) at 5:15 every night. Yet I had home cooked meals all the time. The problem with some- not all- some. is that they are lazy. Many do try their best and still fail. But many more fail to try. I've seen it, with coworkers as well as heard stories of the abuse within the system from family who works there.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    I think we have to step back ( me included) and realize that there are at least 2 kinds of poverty. On the one hand we have the people who are poor. Who are doing the best they know how with what they are given. They don't always make the best choices but they try to fit in the healthier alternatives when and where they can. They may or may not have the resources like good quality food to choose from but when the opportunity presents itself to do better they always choose that

The second kind of poverty is the single mom who by choice has had baby after baby. She knows to do better but its just so much easier to get help every month from a government she never sees and from tax payers she couldn't care less about. If given the choice she would get her hair or nails done rather then feed her kids and thinks its up to the state to not only educate her kids on how to do better but support her kids.

That's just my take on it.

Agreed
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    We live in a middle class neighbourhood on the edge of an impoverished area and I was shocked to find out that most of the kids my son goes to school work don't get any meals other than the ones provided by the breakfast program.

I hear this quite often in the media about how children are not fed at home and school food programs are their only source of nutrition. I don't get that at all. You mean to tell me you don't have ANY money to feed your kids? The ONLY meals they get are at school? What are the parents eating? They must be starving to death if they can't afford food but I don't seem to hear many news stories about that. My conclusion: the food money is spent on other things. Otherwise, the parents would be dropping like flies.

This is happening in Oregon. For 1 in 4 kids here, the only hot meal is the one they get from school. There are programs in the summer where kids can pick up free lunches at the library/community center. My hubby works with extension services and has done studies on nutritional deficiencies in children. He has observed the following:

1. Some parents really do not have the fundamental cooking skills/knowledge to prepare a simple wholesome meal.
    2. Some parents make the decision to forgo healthy food options so they can pay for their beer, cigarettes, pot and tattoos.
    3. Some parents go to the grocery store hungry and make really bad food choices.
    4. Some parents buy junk food because they can and it is a pleasure to eat junk food.
    5. Kids are deficient in Vitamin D intake but way over on their sugar and fat intake.
    6. Financial or medical crises will affect a poor family exponentially more - the efforts to avoid eviction, family breakup, and general chaos are monumental for a poor family.

I recently discovered that most high schools have eliminated Home Economics and Consumer Education courses. This doesn't seem to be a good idea.
  • kekeleeks
    kekeleeks Posts: 74 Member
    Options

But both the rich and poor live in that culture. As do those the thin and the fat, the healthy and the sick.

I agree with you, culture is not limited by income. What I agree with in the post above is that things are set-up in ways that make eating healthy more difficult and eating unhealthy way too easy. Then when we wise up and begin to take stock we have to pay "extra" (ie organic anything is more expensive, most nutrition programs cost $$$, drugs etc) to eat right and live healthy.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm glad we all agree that the problem is people shouldn't drop out babies if they can't afford to feed them.

Wow.. That's a thought.. But it ain't gonna happen as long as children are so lucrative for some. :frown:

When I was at the Social Security office getting my card, the dude at the booth beside me was asking how much the payouts would increase if he had 1 more kid, 2 more kids, 3 more kids... and he was taking notes on all the different things that would boost the payout and the SS employee was more than happy to oblige.

My mom in law retired from the state welfare office. The stories she told were incredible, and quite sad.. The waste and abuse of the system is legendary. The ones who need it a lot of the time don't qualify. and the ones who do, abuse it. You aren't allowed to question even though Ms Jones is telling you her children's father ran out on them, but you know for a fact he is in the waiting room waiting for them. Or the woman who gets emergency assistance and you see her an hour later getting her nails done. You still can't question them. Many choose that lifestyle because it pays well. Why try to do better if you don't need to.. Unfortunately the kids are the ones who suffer.

<b>There is a sub-culture emerging</b> where this "life-style" is socially acceptable and even something to (ironically) aspire for *ahem* settle for. Forgive me for saying this,but I don't even go to a grocery store for the first few days of the month because it's just too heart breaking to see the over-weight & "under-privileged" loading up their grocery carts with bologna, sugary treats, soda, chips, pudding, junk & other "food" for their families.

How long until bypass surgeries are covered on public health care?

They already are if you can get a dr to say you have a condition that would be benefited by it.

I know what you mean, in the small town where i'm from there are generations of people on public assistance, some of them don't even try to get a job. You grow up and when you're old enough you start getting your own checks. It's so sad.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    I see alot talk about those who are receiving food stamps and other types of government assistance. But what about those families who do not qualify for any state assistance but do not make enough money to thrive on. I don't think the issue is just as simple as to stop having babies especially when some politicians are determined to restrict access to birth control. I think there are larger issues at play.

Im going off topic. No politician is trying to limit access to birth control. they just don't think the Federal Gov't should subsidize peoples sex habits. Condoms are sold in drug stores and there is a variety of other forms of BC women can take.

again I agee. It's not the governments responsibility to make sure you don't get knocked up its yours. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY PEOPLE. if you don't want babies don't have unprotected sex.
  • Schmidt722
    Schmidt722 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I don't believe we are saying its equally feasible for everyone. But I believe where there is a will there will always be a way.. My mother made meals ahead of time. She was usually home from work (by bus) at 5:15 every night. Yet I had home cooked meals all the time. The problem with some- not all- some. is that they are lazy. Many do try their best and still fail. But many more fail to try. I've seen it, with coworkers as well as heard stories of the abuse within the system from family who works there.

Also true. No two situations are exactly alike, and I imagine there are certainly people (in all income brackets) who don't care to make an effort as well.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm glad we all agree that the problem is people shouldn't drop out babies if they can't afford to feed them.

I'm glad we can solve all of our social issues so easily. Just don't "drop out babies" and buy healthy food. Gotcha. Because there aren't a whole host of other factors that come into play with either of these issues.

There are a ton more, but the bottom line is this. If you can't afford to feed yourself. Why on Earth would you have more children? I really can't wrap my head around that.

Honestly in my experience it isn't the majority.
    For the record I don't agree with having more children when you are already struggling but my point was its not as simple as don't have kids.

Thank you!!! I was not POOR when I had my 3 children...but I became that way when my youngest was 3 mths old and their father left us and moved to a different city. (and no, he does not pay child support) there are other contributing factors that people do not plan on when they "spit out" kids. Would I have another kid now? Absolutely not. Do I make sure that does not happen? Of course I do. Would I lay in bed every night thinking "maybe if I just had 1 more, I would qualify for *insert assistance program here*. It is not everyone that abuses the system. There are single mothers out there that will try every option possible before applying for assistance because she does not want to become a statistic or be thought of as "one of those people" like many of you have stated in your posts. It is not easy for a single mother who WORKS full time to go out and beg for help. Would I do it if I needed it? Of course! I would do whatever it took to make sure my kids had whatever they needed. I go without things that I need every month to make sure they can go on a school field trip (so they wont be the only kid going because we can't afford it), or get a new pair of shoes because their old ones are torn or a new outfit because they outgrew the old, etc. Just because I do not have a lot of money or because I get help does not make me less of a person or give ANYONE a right to look down on me. If I was neglecting my kids, using their food money for drugs/alcohal or had a nice car, home, material things (which I don't) while I was on assistance, yes. But that isn't the case. The OP started this post because there is a connection between poverity and obesity. (not to say it is the reason for all obese people or that all poor people are obese) but she made some valid points and as always...it has reverted to a "why i am better than you" type of conversation. I am overweight, but working on changing it. I am poor, but working on changing that too. I am not uneducated, I have a college degree. I work in the education system and they do not pay what we deserve. Plain and simple. I would never wish my life on anyone else. I do have moments of depression...but I make the most of what I have and my kids will NEVER go without. This is nothing I wouldn't do for them. Am I lazy? Maybe when it comes to some things...but not when it comes to carrying for my family.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

You are literally insane and I wish I could admit you to a psych ward for your paranoia.
  • mlcastle
    mlcastle Posts: 33
    Options
    I will probably be bashed for this... HOWEVER, I'm putting it out there anyway.

I agree with you 110% and have thought for a very long time, that we need to find a way to help the people we have living here in our own country, and slow down on helping the other countries. Part of the reason we are falling apart as a country is because we have stopped looking inside and taking care of our own. We MUST fix the things that are broken here before we can go to other countries and fix what is broken.

When we were a stronger country, helping others was vitally important, but in doing so we have lost sight of our own countries needs! I find it extremely sad.

Ok, I'm going to get off of my soap box, because I could go on forever with this :sad:

Don't be fooled, the government is not over there to try and help people, it's there to protect oil interests.
  • CoachSamB
    CoachSamB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Agreed. It'll be hard to educate people about this, but this is exactly the problem. If all a kid eats is Doritos, but still remains under their needed caloric intake for the day, obesity cannot happen. We're eating too much in this country.
    Obesity is a matter of too many calories and not enough exercise. Poverty is not going to cause that. Yes, there is a correlation between poverty and obesity in some countries, but that doesn't equal causation.

I'd put my money on a lack of self control (which all children naturally have), combined with parents who either don't care, or who lack the ability to say "no" to their children, along with the parents modeling poor eating behavior.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I was not POOR when I had my 3 children...but I became that way when my youngest was 3 mths old and their father left us and moved to a different city. (and no, he does not pay child support) there are other contributing factors that people do not plan on when they "spit out" kids. Would I have another kid now? Absolutely not. Do I make sure that does not happen? Of course I do. Would I lay in bed every night thinking "maybe if I just had 1 more, I would qualify for *insert assistance program here*. It is not everyone that abuses the system. There are single mothers out there that will try every option possible before applying for assistance because she does not want to become a statistic or be thought of as "one of those people" like many of you have stated in your posts. It is not easy for a single mother who WORKS full time to go out and beg for help. Would I do it if I needed it? Of course! I would do whatever it took to make sure my kids had whatever they needed. I go without things that I need every month to make sure they can go on a school field trip (so they wont be the only kid going because we can't afford it), or get a new pair of shoes because their old ones are torn or a new outfit because they outgrew the old, etc. Just because I do not have a lot of money or because I get help does not make me less of a person or give ANYONE a right to look down on me. If I was neglecting my kids, using their food money for drugs/alcohal or had a nice car, home, material things (which I don't) while I was on assistance, yes. But that isn't the case. The OP started this post because there is a connection between poverity and obesity. (not to say it is the reason for all obese people or that all poor people are obese) but she made some valid points and as always...it has reverted to a "why i am better than you" type of conversation. I am overweight, but working on changing it. I am poor, but working on changing that too. I am not uneducated, I have a college degree. I work in the education system and they do not pay what we deserve. Plain and simple. I would never wish my life on anyone else. I do have moments of depression...but I make the most of what I have and my kids will NEVER go without. This is nothing I wouldn't do for them. Am I lazy? Maybe when it comes to some things...but not when it comes to carrying for my family.

You're post sums up everything beautifully because you are living the struggle, and I pass many blessings on to you. It's not just that simple is it? Wave the magic wand, pull yourself up by the bootstraps. You show that it is a struggle and there are many battles because when you add not having enough money into the mix it makes things so much more complicated. Now you have to make the choice do you decide between the expensive organic beef or do you get the less expensive ground beef so your child can go to the field trip, have fun, and you have enough money left over to make sure they have a nice lunch. It's not that easy. You battle and you are winning not lazy because you get up every day and face the music and do the same thing over again. Very easy to sit on your high horse and judge when you dont have to choose between buying toilet paper or apples.