Boiled eggs as snacks - for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 boiled egg whites a day mid morning and find that the little extra protein absolutely helps hold me over to lunch. I like the yokes just don't want the extra calories. Only thing is the odd looks I get buying so many cartons of eggs a week at the grocery store...lol My husband and daughter also eat them every day so we go through ALOT of eggs.

May start clucking soon.......

awwww eat the whole thing! that's where the nutrients are! the calories you get from an egg yolk are probably the most complete and nourishing calories you'll get all day.

sacrifice elsewehere! :P
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I love eating hard boiled aggs for snacks. And don't be concerned with the fat or cholesterol in them - they are a great food..and very nutrient dense. Eat em up!
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Eggs are great, but to save calories and maximize my protein, I prefer having one egg with 2-3 egg whites, instead of two yolks. Having protein snacks curb my appetite. Another one of my go to snacks is non-fat Greek yoghurt with stevia & 1/2 cup of blueberries. I also add a T. of flax seed - total is 175 calories. If I'm on the go with no time, I take a handful of raw almonds. Good luck!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    EAT THE EGGGSSS!!!! they are good for you!!!! and please for the love of humanuty! eat the YOLK!!!!!!!!!:devil:
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    so two eggs gives you 12 grams of protein and roughly 140 calories. Why not get a Protein powder which for that same 140 calories you would get around 26 grams of protein? But Eggs are delicious and if you like them do not stop eatting them.

I've tried protein powders but I'm allergic to dairy and I'm struggling to find soya based protein powder .... a couple of the shops where I live don't stock it! :-(

I'm allergic to dairy and soy.
    I use hemp, pea, or chia protein powder. I too don't EAT enough protein, and I don't eat meat. I'm now doing two protein shakes a day. My pea protein is only 80 calories and 20g of protein.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a better snack to eat then most. If you are worried a bit about fat content and cholesterol I'd suggest eating one whole boiled egg and then omit the egg yoke and eat away! Boiled egg whites are protein pack without all the extras! .. But really two whole eggs will not hurt you !! Eat away! Yum! :)
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat, and eating cholesterol doesn't raise your cholesterol.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Go for the eggs! They're one of the easiest snacks ever. I eat one nearly every morning at breakfast.
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol and eggs are not upping it in the least. I eat them many days for lunch. :smile:
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    so two eggs gives you 12 grams of protein and roughly 140 calories. Why not get a Protein powder which for that same 140 calories you would get around 26 grams of protein? But Eggs are delicious and if you like them do not stop eatting them.

I've tried protein powders but I'm allergic to dairy and I'm struggling to find soya based protein powder .... a couple of the shops where I live don't stock it! :-(

Avoid soya, pea, and hemp protein, they taste absolutely vile. I almost threw up the first time I had pea protein - and I have a pretty good tolerance of bad food. Nothing can prepare for you the most gruesome tasting things in this world. And whether it's scientific fact or not, it's soya generally agreed that soya is not good for testosterone levels. The last thing you want to do is lower them from what they already are.

I've not tried brown rice protein but from what I've heard it tastes okay when it's flavoured. You can actually buy egg protein powder, which is a fantastic source of pure protein.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Try Vitacost.com - you can get pea proteins or hemp proteins. Also check Proteinpow.com for more ideas on how to create more protein based meals etc.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 boiled egg whites a day mid morning and find that the little extra protein absolutely helps hold me over to lunch. I like the yokes just don't want the extra calories. Only thing is the odd looks I get buying so many cartons of eggs a week at the grocery store...lol My husband and daughter also eat them every day so we go through ALOT of eggs.

May start clucking soon.......

awwww eat the whole thing! that's where the nutrients are! the calories you get from an egg yolk are probably the most complete and nourishing calories you'll get all day.

sacrifice elsewehere! :P

I agree with this...If hell existed, it would be freezing over right now....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm trying to up my protein in take ... I'm not a massive meat lover so I'm struggling slightly, even though I know you can get protein elsewhere, it just doesn't seem to be very high!

I've started eating 2 boiled eggs per day as a snack ... is this okay?! I know they're high in protein, but just wondered if they're a bit too high in fat / cholesteral to have every day??

I want to lose another 10 lbs roughly - I'm currently 157lbs, and would like to get down to around 147lbs. I'm exercising roughly 2-4 times per week depending on work etc as I travel alot, but I walk for an hour 5 days a week to and from work.

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks!

:-)

Ounce for ounce, eggs are one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Also, dietary cholesterol plays little to no role in blood serum cholesterol for most individuals. I started out with really high LDL cholesterol...I eat 2 eggs every single day and my cholesterol is completely normal now. Also, dietary fat doesn't make you fat...consumption of more calories than your body expends makes you fat. You could get fat eating nothing but broccoli if you consumed a surplus of broccoli.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Zone Protein Bars....14g of protein each.

Too much soy in Zone for me and the chocolate just feeds my cravings. I am also one who is allergic to dairy products, so no whey would I eat them.

I eat boiled eggs.

Jan
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Or you can eat them without the yolk which is where most of the "bad" stuff is though I know not everyone loves just the egg whites. I hard boil a couple dozen eggs each weekend and have five without the yolk and one with.

Respectfully - No... the yoke is not bad!

Eat the eggs and the YOKE! it is where all the nuticician is! I agree with Alisha - good quality diatery fats (eggs, avocados, olives, nuts, etc...) don't make you fat! Too many overall calories and simple carbs do!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Or you can eat them without the yolk which is where most of the "bad" stuff is though I know not everyone loves just the egg whites. I hard boil a couple dozen eggs each weekend and have five without the yolk and one with.

Respectfully - No... the yoke is not bad!

Eat the eggs and the YOKE! it is where all the nuticician is! I agree with Alisha - good quality diatery fats (eggs, avocados, olives, nuts, etc...) don't make you fat! Too many overall calories and simple carbs do!

QFT

people who don't eat the yolk... you are wasting your money. ain't NOTHING bad about eggs
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I eat the yokes...but sometimes I'm feeling kinda wild so I remove it and fill them with hummus :wink:
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had 3 scrambled with breakfast, and just had 3 hard boiled for my afternoon snack. Love eggs. I buy them in the 5 dozen packs.
  • Tara_J21
    Tara_J21 Posts: 2
    Options
    Iv started eating a boiled egg as a snack, its a great way to keep hunger at bay between meals, I find fruit dosnt fill me up at all but an egg does!
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are a GREAT snack! They are extremely nutrient dense and filling. Also, just because they contain a good amount of cholesterol does not necessarily mean that they are going to increase your cholesterol. They actually target the LDL (bad cholesterol) in your blood and increase your HDL (the good cholesterol).

So, basically, EAT UP!

If you are looking for other non-meat sources of proteins, you could also look into beans and other legumes (lentils are great), nuts, cottage cheese, protein bars (or shakes), greek yogurt or peanut butter!