quickest way to lose water weight?

Options

Replies

• Skernan1644
    Skernan1644 Posts: 20
    Options
    Got this tip from a friend whose son is a wrestler in school:

The night before your final weigh-in, dump a bag of Epsom salts into a bath full of hot water. Make the water as HOT as you can stand it. Then soak in the tub of HOT salt-water for about half hour or forty-five minutes. You will sweat like crazy!!

I did this the night before my final weigh-in, and I continued to sweat for another 10-15 minutes AFTER I got out of the tub and dried off! Had to take a cooler shower (but not TOO cool - you don't wanna send yourself into shock!!) to rinse the additional sweat off me before I could go to bed.

Afterwards, and the following morning, I didn't drink or eat anything at all. I believe it helped tremendously. At least a couple pounds. (yeah, I'm goofy - I didn't think to do a before & after-bath weigh in to see exactly how much weight it was)

Good luck!!
  • malorie05
    malorie05 Posts: 5
    Options
    As weird as it sounds, drink water. Lots of water. I drink about a gallon a day, and it helps my water weight gain. Make sure you pace it through the day, not all at once (duh) or late in the evening. Yes you will pee all day, but thats what a diuretic will do to you as well, and at least this way you're peeing because you're really hydrated!
    Also, watch your sodium intake. They have a default on here, and if you're still bloated then lower your sodium. I had to. I have a little salt and I blow up like a balloon! Always remember, 1/4 tsp of kosher salt still has about 500 mg of sodium, so make sure you measure and that will help as well!
    Saunas and working out help too. Think sweating. :)
    Hope this helps! Good luck!!
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I heard about this one but couldn't believe it. I guess I was wrong, since you are quoting the exact receipt. Good to know for my next PRT weight in!!!
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Drink water, and get some pottasium (have a banana)
  • bjmarsh14
    bjmarsh14 Posts: 16
    Options
    SAUNA! My ex was a MMA fighter that has to make weight before fights. Majority of the time he gets in and out of the sauna for about 2 hours and loses around 5-7 pounds. After weigh-in he drinks a full bottle Pedialyte to rehydrate himself and replace electrolytes that were lost in the process. It also made him look a lot more ripped since all of the excess water was out of his body (he's very ripped and lean anyways). Of course you know to lose weight the healthy way too by diet and exercise, but this works for the last couple of pounds. Good luck! :)
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it feel a little dishonest to try to win a contest weigh in by doing something out of the norm to rid yourself of water?

I think I would want to win the weigh in with whatever is a "normal" amount of water on my body (i.e. not trying specifically to dehydrate).

That said, you've gotten then answers as to what will work. Best of luck to you regardless!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Steam room and a fat fast.

*edit* and lots of caffeine. Like, drink as many sugar-free RockStars as you can, hahaha. THEN GO RUNNING! :D
  • doty0815
    doty0815 Posts: 68
    Options
    Good to know I have a weigh in tomorrow and I weighed today and their is a 2lb difference so Im guessing it was water. Ive been drinking water like a fish today :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Fat fast, like bacitracin said. Drop out your carbs. Each gram of glycogen holds on to 3-4 grams of water, so as soon as you start burning off your excess glycogen stores, the water will flush out, too. So whatever will make you sweat....but beware of getting dehydrated and/or electrolyte imbalance.

So what's the prize?? Do we get a cut of it? :devil:
  • FromFat2Phat2013
    Options
    Cut the sodium, drink tons of water and sweat. Repeat.

(cuttin the salt will really help)

I totally agree with u
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    honestly. binge drink. every morning after i binge drink i weight pounds less than when i went to bed.

alcohol sucks up all the water in your body.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Drink water + hard cardio

Drinking water, yes, but "hard cardio," no. If you start a new exercise program, your muscles (and sometimes joints) can retain water; as silly as this sounds, exercising could actually make it worse. Also, diuretics.......cinnamon, coffee, others...you can look them up online. They help remove excess water from your system.

One thing to keep in mind is that I don't know if the human body stores excess water weight without reason. If you eat a lot of salt, or if your muscles are holding water, that's reasonable...but besides helping you feel full and giving your body something it needs, I don't know if drinking more water is really going to help you lose weight. Also, 3-4 pounds is a lot to lose in a week, let alone 3-4 days. Chances are good that you'll gain it right back as soon as your water consumption and diet return to normal.
  • ravshizzle
    ravshizzle Posts: 8
    Options
    If it's really REALLY short term,, subsist on protein shakes and a banana. WARNING: you will feel like a warmed up packet of poo though.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    In addition to drinking lots of water, watch your sodium intake!
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    dry sauna

THIS!! If you have a YMCA nearby, they will have one. Even if your not a member, just pay the $5 or whatever it is and sit in there for as long as you can tolerate it. Water will be pouring out of you.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    asparagus is a natural diuretic...it WILL make you pee

Oh ok. I k ow it makes the smell change lol.
    I love asparagus. I could eat it everyday
  • amyleblanc92
    amyleblanc92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lmfao
  • BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough, drinking a lot of water will take it right off within a couple days.
  • malorie05
    malorie05 Posts: 5
    Options
    Its not just MFP that says that lol. Science. And fitness peeps will tell you the same.
  • tierre1
    tierre1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    the way to lose water weight is to drink more water.

http://waterweight101.com/
    How To Lose Water Weight

It isn’t the water’s fault that you are holding water weight, it is the carbs that cause you to keep it. A low/no carb diet paired with a high water intake will cause the body to go into a “flushing” mode, basically you will be spending a lot of time in the bathroom if you drink even the recommended amount of water that a human is supposed to consume daily. Drinking a lot of water with low carbs is the way to go if you are looking to accomplish water and weight loss. The body has no carbs or too low of an amount to store water so it’s continuously getting rid of water as it is being taken in. It is the most basic way to drop water weight through dieting.

What happens if you just stop drinking water or lower your intake while keeping carbs high instead? Dehydration. Not something you want, so stay away from high carb and low water dieting. Not a good combination.

It’s simple… the key to water weight loss is simply lower your carbs. You won’t be as bloated, and after 3-4 days your body will get used to being fed less carbs so it will be more efficient at making energy from the little carbs it does consume. Cardio will supplement this as well as sweating will play a small role in also flushing a bit of water out of the system. The most basic thing to remember is that it’s all about taking in more water to lose weight.