Chia seeds

Options
I am thinking about adding chia seeds to my diet, i hear that when they sit for 10 min and they become a gel, and once you drink them it does wonders for your diet. anyone have any personal experience?

Replies

• M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I like them. Nothing would satisfy me in the morning, I was always hungry 2 hours later no matter what I ate. Chia keep me content for 5-6 hours so I have them every day :)
  • M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Double post. I don't tend to drink them, I have them with oatmeal and mixed fruit :)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I don't drink them, but I do add them to my oatmeal in the morning, salad at dinner, and smoothie at night (about 1 to 2 tsp each). I have noticed the oatmeal seems much more filling with the chia seeds in them.

Also found some pudding recipes online with chia seeds.

My husband "drank" them in the morning but I don't think he let them sit. Pretty much dumped them in the water, stirred and drank it....
  • n_rockey
    n_rockey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I mix them in my yogurt and my oatmeal in the mornings. There is a difference in how long you feel satisfied with them. Before I use to be wanting my mid morning snack no later than 9 am (I eat breakfast at 6:30), but now I'm good at least till 10am, if not longer.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I put them on grapefruit or mix them in yogurt. I think they might cause constipation, but they're really good and filling.
  • Jennifer87401
    Jennifer87401 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, where do I get them....lol
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I eat chia seeds every morning:

3 tbsp chia seeds
    1 cup vanilla coconut milk
    1 tbsp unsweetened coconut
    1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 tbsp of cinnamon

I also love making it with fruit instead of chocolate
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I get mine at Costco. Otherwise you can order them online.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with my yogurt in the morning or with juice and drink it with a straw. I get my at my local Nutter's health food store. 1 lb (or 454 g) is approximately $13.99 to about $18.00 depending on the brand. A note of caution though, I'm not sure if anyone this is common knowledge but chia is a blood thinner and technically you are supposed to check with your doctor prior to using. Just thought that I would let you know that in case of any preivous health issues and aren't supposed to take blood thinners. Otherwise its a great addition to a person's diet, it has a lot of fibre and will help you feel fuller longer, it also gives a person extra energize you (I can't have them after noon otherwise I can't sleep at night). I added them to my diet over a year ago.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    I mix mine with my yogurt in the morning or with juice and drink it with a straw. I get my at my local Nutter's health food store. 1 lb (or 454 g) is approximately $13.99 to about $18.00 depending on the brand. A note of caution though, I'm not sure if anyone this is common knowledge but chia is a blood thinner and technically you are supposed to check with your doctor prior to using. Just thought that I would let you know that in case of any preivous health issues and aren't supposed to take blood thinners. Otherwise its a great addition to a person's diet, it has a lot of fibre and will help you feel fuller longer, it also gives a person extra energize you (I can't have them after noon otherwise I can't sleep at night). I added them to my diet over a year ago.
    Thanks for mentioning that they are a blood thinnner! I never knew!
  • Jennifer87401
    Jennifer87401 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    WOW great information! Thank you!!
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I use them in smoothies or stir them into yogurt. You can also make a chia fresca:

Add 1 tbsp chia seeds to 1 cp cold water.
    Let stand ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep it from clumping.
    Stir in ~1 tsp lime juice & ~1 tsp agave, honey, or maple syrup.

The seeds do get a gel-like covering & they'll be suspended throughout the drink. They're still a little crunchy though, so it's not your average beverage. :)
  • Ahmadk7860
    Ahmadk7860 Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh yes it works. They dont tast good so what i do is either put them in a juice or some kind of drink. Yesterday i made a dring at home. I soak the chia seed over night and in the morning i added plain yogart and protain powder in it and that was my protain shake. I liked it i dont know if you will like it. Try it if you like.
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Robinvan38
    Robinvan38 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat chia seeds at every meal, but only 1/2 teaspoon with a glass of water. Make sure to drink lots of liquid or get very constipated. I used to eat 1 Tab once a day, but had issues in the bathroom with VERY bulky stools (sorry to be graphic). You can slowly increase amounts as tolerated if you have no issues. I just put them in yogurt, stir them into my tea, or eat them plain. My HDL was 96! The best ever:)
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking a chia fresca now. It's delicious. What you've heard is true. I use them in my morning shake and I have several chia frescas a day. Whether or not it contributes to my weight loss I can't say. It does tend to lower blood pressure in some people but not a whole lot.

I've read a couple books on it and as far as I can tell chia seeds are a very healthy addition to your diet and may help you curb your appetite.

I would add that coconut butter and coconut oil will also make you feel full and cause you to eat less. It's also very good for you.
  • gogidget
    gogidget Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I put them in my morning smoothie...helps keep me satisfied longer. Also, love them on salads...they have a nice little pop/crunch.