Which hrm should I get?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    jethro, if your recommendation sucks im flooding your inbox :)
  • JethroXP
    JethroXP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump. Like another poster mentioned I was thinking about getting this as well. How much does it differ between mfp calories burned while running. I want to be accurate with it.

The amount of difference will vary for each person, lots of factors come into play, but the most important thing to know is that the HRM will be the most accurate because it is actually measuring what your body is doing. Anything else, including MFP estimates and even gym machine estimates are just that, estimates. Compared to a HRM, the machines and MFP will over estimate or under estimate based on how far you off you are are from their reference point. For example, when I was over 200 pounds, the machines in the gym were under estimating my calorie burn compared to the HRM. Now that I'm under 175 they over estimate. I now ignore the machines and MFP and just go by what the HRM says, which means that when I enter my exercise on MFP I'm overwriting the estimate they give me with the number I get from my HRM.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Can anyone advise to wrist watch style vs. chest strap?

Would you say the chest strap version would be more accurate, or would the wrist watch style be just as sufficient and close to the same result? Wanting to get one ASAP..... Have a friend at work trying to sell me on the Jillian Michael's arm band, but I didn't even see an HRM on it?!
  • dcone2001
    dcone2001 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump. Like another poster mentioned I was thinking about getting this as well. How much does it differ between mfp calories burned while running. I want to be accurate with it.

The amount of difference will vary for each person, lots of factors come into play, but the most important thing to know is that the HRM will be the most accurate because it is actually measuring what your body is doing. Anything else, including MFP estimates and even gym machine estimates are just that, estimates. Compared to a HRM, the machines and MFP will over estimate or under estimate based on how far you off you are are from their reference point. For example, when I was over 200 pounds, the machines in the gym were under estimating my calorie burn compared to the HRM. Now that I'm under 175 they over estimate. I now ignore the machines and MFP and just go by what the HRM says, which means that when I enter my exercise on MFP I'm overwriting the estimate they give me with the number I get from my HRM.
    Thx. I'm up to running a 5k-3.5 miles every other day so I'm sure my bodies adjusting. Plus my outdoor runs are in a hilly area which can't be accounted for. Just wish they weren't so expensive.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    gonna try to answer all the questions I saw....

get a chest strap. they're much more accurate.

FT7 is waterproof, but don't press the buttons underwater.

FT4s and FT7s only keep track of cals burned. FT40s and FT60s will break down time in each of the 3 zones and will tell you how many cals burned are from fat. The 40s and 60s area little more accurate because they have a VO2 max test. Also, as was mentioned before, they will set up a workout plan and time goals for you depending on the plan you choose. It's been a helpful motivator for me. Plus, I think they are way more stylish than the 4's and 7's.

I used to have an FT7 and it did its job, but I switched to the FT60 and I love it.
  • brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Much difference between f40 and f60? Thanks everybody ye are all so helpful
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    the FT40 doesn't have the training programs and you can buy GPS ans speed sensors for the FT60.
  • brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you :-D
  • jlfoster0427
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4F and LOVE it. Its about $65 and really easy and simple to use. All I really needed was to count the calories and take my heart rate and this does it wonderfully. I got the cute pink version :)
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chandratro
    chandratro Posts: 12
    Options
    bump