Question about calories for a big girl

Options
2»

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    When I was at my highest of 240+, I was eating 1800 and up and loosing two pounds a week. Your caloric needs are higher as a larger person. Not to mention if you move a lot, that helps, too! :D
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    I'm shorter than you (5'5.5") and started off at 300.1 lbs. I didn't really start losing until I started eating around 1600-1700 calories, and now I'm losing 3-4 lbs a week most weeks.
  • itsadogslife
    itsadogslife Posts: 209
    Options
    Hey,
    I once read that we all have x amount of fat cells, and when we become over weight, we develop new fat cells, but you can never lose those fat cells, they can only expand and contract. When you "starve" the fat cells, they shrink, thus you lose weight and size. Our bodies are king pins of adaptation, and therefore, if you bring yourself to adjust to eating a high fat diet etc, then your body's metabolism treats this as the norm. You can have a normal weight person and an overweight person on the same diet, but because the normal weight person's metabolism is faster etc, they won't gain the same weight (not to mention they don't have the fat cells as the other individual). I can't remember where I read this theory. That's not to say you can't lose weight, its just to say that sometimes there are obstacles in our way we don't know about.

Here is my suggestion:
    Don't go eating 1200 calories a day. Its not sustainable, you'll be hungry, etc. You want a lifestyle change not a quick fix or you will end up right where you started.

Here is what I've eaten every day for 2 weeks (okay, so I've cheated a BIT! And by a bit, I mean I've had a cup of popcorn with no butter, or I've had butter on an oatmeal and eggwhite pancake or I've had an extra piece of fruit etc. ) and I've LOST 12 lbs in TWO WEEKS. I never lose weight that easily.

Consume this in a day, doesn't matter when or how you prepare it, just don't add any salts, fats, or sugars.

8 eggs whites
    3 oz of oatmeal, or plain sugar-free cheerios, or original Special K
    2 cups of Milk
    2 Scoops of protein powder (a good one is Myoflex.. Cookies and cream flavor is delicious with ice and milk!)
    1 cup of yogurt (non-fat, no sugar)
    1 cup of berries
    1/2 a banan OR 1/2 an apple OR 1/2 an orange
    12 oz of chicken, or 12 oz of ground eye of round, or 13 oz of ground turkey, or 28.5 oz of shrimp
    15 oz of green leafy vegetables or a vegetable mix
    1/2 cup UNCOOKED quinoa or brown rice (adds up to 2 cups cooked roughly)

You can have water, coffee (black or with sweetener and whitener, diet pop, crystal lite, etc though use those as a treat to satisfy a sweet tooth)

It'll be REALLY hard the first 3-4 days.. You will be HANGRY because your body is going through refined carbs and sugars withdrawals. THIS WILL PASS QUICKLY. Once you pass that 3-4 day hump, you will be fine =)

That amounts to 2200 calories a day. I swear to you, if you follow this, even without exercise, YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. And you will NOT BE HUNGRY. This particular eating plan is based on MACRO nutrients and how they affect your body =)

Good luck!
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would not go below 1500 calories; just too hard to get enough nutrients & also hard to stick with. I started in November @ 225, and in 5 months dropped over 50 pounds, and I am 55 years old! I ate around 1500 calories a day with plenty of veggies and protein, and was never hungry. I do exercise daily , either strength training or interval cardio. I highly recommend strength training to preserve your lean muscle mass!
    Now that I am around 10-15 pounds from my goal weight, I am increasing my cals a bit and working gradually toward maintenance.
    I know a lot of people on this forum eat at the 1200 cals, and they do lose quickly for awhile, but almost always hit a plateau and have difficulty getting past it.
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    some great suggestions.
    I tend to agree to give a few things a try and see what works for you.
    eating at 1200 cal worked for me for a while - except then I started to feel like crap!
    So I increased by 200 cal a day and feel like a new woman!
    I'm a big advocate of the weekly calorie goal - so I always have a splurge on the weekend, which I've factored into my cals during the week - happy days!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great suggestions!! Maybe I'll try to up it to 1500. It's just soooooo tempting to try and knock out as much weight as quick as possible (at this weight, the first 20-40 lbs should come off mighty quick).

Please please do not assume this will be the case... I know it seems like it should be but that's not the case at all.. friend me up. Ok
  • katrinaevening
    katrinaevening Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone for the great, supportive advice! I wish I could give you all hugs (not to toot my own horn, but my hugs are pretty awesome cuz I'm still so squishy like a teddy bear <3 )