Protein after supper??

Options
kroetam
kroetam Posts: 13 Member
I always go for my power walk in the evening, but then when I take off my calories burned from walking, I'm under my limit (by like 300-400 cals!) I'm also always under on protein. Apart from changing my diet during the day, can I eat something after 8:00 pm thats higher in protein... and if so, what do you suggest? Or should I not start a bad habit of eating that late in the day?

Replies

• mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I exercise later in the day too and end up with the same problem. I usually eat greek yogurt. It has a good amount of protein, its low cal and fills you up. I just get the plain and sprinkle a little bit of dry ranch seasoning in it to make it like ranch dip. Its really good with veggies or cracker chips.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Eating at night isn't s bad habit. Have some Greek yogurt, a protein shake, jerky, etc.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating at night. Meal timing is a myth. Eat when you need to get the necessary nutrition.
  • GGut
    GGut Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i usually have a glass of milk or a scoop of casein protien before bed.... supports long term protein release over night for strong muscle growth. Its also helps me not wake up as hungry.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course you can eat in the evening, as long as you don't have any physical reason to avoid it (like heartburn or acid reflux if you try to sleep after you eat). But if you always go for a walk after supper, you could just pre-log it and spread your calories out during the day.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Well, I just ate 2TBSP chopped walnuts mixed with 1TBSP toasted coconut and 6 hersheys baking melts. Mmmmmm was good too. I really think its okay to nibble after exercise at night as long as it doesn't interrupt your sleep (upset stomach or something). :flowerforyou:
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    i usually have a glass of milk or a scoop of casein protien before bed.... supports long term protein release over night for strong muscle growth. Its also helps me not wake up as hungry.

the release time of protein has been shown in studies to be unnecessary with adequate protein intake.
    However I am sure if you do not have optimal protein intake it can play a role.

Casein protein actually suppresses your appetite much better than whey. I havent taken casein in years until a few months ago and it really makes a big difference in hunger than I would have ever though it would.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    my favorite snacks are string cheese- often a piece has just 60-90 cals and 5-10 grams of protein. Eat a stack!
  • GGut
    GGut Posts: 94 Member
    Options

the release time of protein has been shown in studies to be unnecessary with adequate protein intake.
    However I am sure if you do not have optimal protein intake it can play a role.

Casein protein actually suppresses your appetite much better than whey. I havent taken casein in years until a few months ago and it really makes a big difference in hunger than I would have ever though it would.

i dont mean to derail... what brand are you using? i hate my bodytech crap
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    "Casein protein"
    1. Never heard of it.
    2. If Wal*Mart doesn't sell it, I probably never will. LOL
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    Casein protein. You can get it pure protein powder form or in milk products. I generally have a cup of greek yogurt as my pre-bed meal. A lot of people do cottage cheese, as well.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    "Casein protein"
    1. Never heard of it.
    2. If Wal*Mart doesn't sell it, I probably never will. LOL

well let me educate you.

milk(even from the mothers milk)
    contains 2 different types of protein. casein and whey

Little Miss Muffet
    Sat on a tuffet,
    Eating her curds and whey;
    Along came a spider,
    Who sat down beside her
    And frightened Miss Muffet away

Curds is the casein portion of milk. Which cottage cheese is a form of.
  • kroetam
    kroetam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.... I love cottage cheese, so that might be my new bedtime snack!!
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.... I love cottage cheese, so that might be my new bedtime snack!!

For real tho'!! :bigsmile:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Pfffffffffffttttt..
    I eat many Protein Bars by Zone Perfect~Dark Chocolate Almond...

Soooooooooo yummmmmmmmyyyyy

Its my go to snack.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    3-400 calories...I'd probably have a protein shake...it would definitely aid in recovery from your walk, as you don't appear to get enough daily protein in the first place.