Air-popped vs. oil-popped popcorn

Options
aepdx
aepdx Posts: 218 Member
Hi All,

I am confused here. When I make popcorn, I put a bit of oil in a pan and pop it that way. That is considered oil-popped in the database right? A lot higher in calories than air-popped. :/. How do you air-pop it on the stove?? Not going to have a microwave for much longer.

Thanks!

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of air popping on a stove. We used to have one of the appliances specifically for air popping, and it worked great; they are not expensive.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You cannot 'air pop' on the stove.

If you are getting rid of your microwave, you will need to purchase an air popper from the store. They are about $10-$20.

otherwise, for air-popped in the microwave you can just put 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in a small brown paper bag, fold the top down and put in there on 'high' for 3-4 minutes.
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    I prefer mine baked... in the form of a tortilla chip.
  • TexasTwinTwo
    TexasTwinTwo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    otherwise, for air-popped in the microwave you can just put 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in a small brown paper bag, fold the top down and put in there on 'high' for 3-4 minutes.

What a great idea...I'm definitely trying this!
    S~
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I have an air popper that I use ALL the time (and I've had it for more than a decade). It is awesome, and I love it even though it only performs one function.

I recently got some buttery popcorn at the local farmer's market (by that I mean the actual popcorn kernals are naturally buttery). It is really, really good.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I log the amount of oil I use for stove-top popcorn and just track the popcorn and oil separately. I only use 1 tsp of oil for 3TB unpopped popcorn and it tastes so much better than air-popped I find the extra calories to be worth it (mmm coconut oil!)
  • moosesadams1
    moosesadams1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have popped pop corn in a non-stick pan before. I spray the pan with buttery Pam and sprinkle with salt or Parmesan cheese or chili powder. It pops okay.

I prefer to put 1/4 cup plain popcorn in a brown bag that's been spritzed with buttery Pam and some sort of seasoning--even cinnamon. I fold it down one fold and put one staple which seems to do okay. This is good!

Good luck!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    That would be considered oil popped popcorn, but if you do it that way, it's best to log the popcorn as "air popped" and log the oil separately. That's much more accurate than logging the popcorn as "oil popped" because you don't know how much oil is being used for that entry in the database.

It is possible to make air popped popcorn on the stove. I've done it in a large non stick pan. It takes skill, finesse, and lots of experience to do it and since you have to keep the pan in constant motion it's pretty labor intensive. However, I find that you don't have nearly as many left over kernals as you do with an air popping machine. That being said, I've converted to using an air popper, just for the ease of use.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Just bought an air popper.

I love it and it never misses a kernal
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Just bought an air popper.

I love it and it never misses a kernal

What kind did you get? I have an Orville Redenbacher. It works pretty well, but you have to tilt it back so the kernals don't get spit out when it's popping, and after popping 1/2 cup there seems to be at least 1.5 tablespoons of kernals leftover.
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You can air pop on the stove top. In my experience it just never works out quite as well but it comes out a bit chewy and scorched tasting even when it's not actually burned. Even just a tablespoon or so of oil makes it taste much better!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I log the amount of oil I use for stove-top popcorn and just track the popcorn and oil separately. I only use 1 tsp of oil for 3TB unpopped popcorn and it tastes so much better than air-popped I find the extra calories to be worth it (mmm coconut oil!)

I have to agree! If you are able to control your oil and you have calories left it is a very satisfying snack.
  • emcwilli
    emcwilli Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have an air popper that I use ALL the time (and I've had it for more than a decade). It is awesome, and I love it even though it only performs one function.

I recently got some buttery popcorn at the local farmer's market (by that I mean the actual popcorn kernals are naturally buttery). It is really, really good.

^ This sounds *amazing* do you know what it's called/if you can find it online?
  • calculustiger
    Options
    I air pop it on the stove all the time. Usually only 1-2 get unpopped per 2 tbsp, and it doesn't burn (at least I don't think it does). You just need to be near it while you make it; it takes approximately 5-10 minutes.
  • sambor2
    sambor2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You cannot air pop on the stove top. Put the popcorn in a paper bag and put in the microwave. Its wonderfull.
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I've burned bags this way, hahaha. But it works, once you know your microwave!

You could also try using Bragg's Liquid Aminos or vinegar (which are both ~0 cal), instead of oil. I'm not sure if that would work, but you use oil because it has a higher boiling point than water, and because it imparts flavor. Theorectically, you could substitute it with something else, right? :)
  • calculustiger
    Options
    Here: super easy directions to making popcorn, without oil, on the stove.

http://theveganronin.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/oil-free-perfectly-popped-popcorn/
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i bought a popcorn maker last month on special offer from amazon last month-absolutely brilliant air-popped popcorn in seconds!!!:wink:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

I do this as well. Logging the oil and the popcorn separately is more accurate anyway...and yes, the taste is oh so worth the extra calories.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    thank you!! I am totally getting a popcorn maker.

I keep burning the popcorn because I am using too little oil (to avoid the cals), then it turns into an epic fail. But, yes, it is amazingly delicious.

Thank you for all of your wonderful popcorn tips!