Replies

• bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Deleted cuz I don't want to cause drama
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I was reading through the thread about who is to blame for obese children. The unanimous consensus is that it's the parents' fault. While I agree to a certain extent, I think people are forgetting a few key pieces of info. Let's take a look at Mississippi. It's the #1 poorest state in the nation. It's also the #1 most obese state in the nation. It's also the #1 most hunger stricken state in the nation. How could that be? How can people be starving AND obese!? It doesn't make sense. Or does it?

If you go to the grocery and buy enough fresh, whole food to feed a family of four for a week, you'll likely spend no less than $200. Good, fresh, real food is terribly expensive. Crap food is not! A cheeseburger, fries, and coke at McDonalds cost $3. A salad at McDonalds cost $6. Fresh produce and meat is expensive compared to ramen noodles and Vienna sausages. It's next to impossible for people living in poverty to eat healthy food!

I don't know how to fix that, but I know that something needs to change if we're going to solve the obesity epidemic in this country!

I'm not sure where you live but you cannot get a cheeseburger, fries and a coke for $3 at our McDonald's. And even if you could... a $3 meal x 4 people x 3 meals per day x 7 days per week comes out to $252 per week....and that doesn't even touch the other junk snacks in between like the bag of chips or the cookies or the extra soda!

I spend $200 per week on ALL my groceries including cleaning products, paper products, personal hygiene products and vitamins/supplements and my kids are lean and healthy. I spend much less since I got on a cleaner diet with my family than when we ate crap all the time!

Most families below the poverty have less than $300 to spend on food A MONTH. I have heard of people screwing over the system and getting way more than that, but they are the minority. The rest of us scrabble from month to month, when food prices go up, our amounts don't. You're not being realistic. You spend less than you did. But you probably also have a nice house, a good car, and a decent supermarket nearby. You're comparing apples and oranges.

For the record I drive a 1997 Toyota with 210,000 miles on it and my husband drives a 2000 Ford with close to 200,000 miles on it as well. I don't get my nails done I don't shop for clothing unless mine are falling apart, i havent been on a vacation since my honeymoon in 2000 and we live with my mother so before you assume and judge someone, ask what their lifestyle is like.
    Some of us count the shoes we wear as our vehicle. Just sayin'.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Most families below the poverty have less than $300 to spend on food A MONTH. I have heard of people screwing over the system and getting way more than that, but they are the minority. The rest of us scrabble from month to month, when food prices go up, our amounts don't. You're not being realistic. You spend less than you did. But you probably also have a nice house, a good car, and a decent supermarket nearby. You're comparing apples and oranges.

For the record I drive a 1997 Toyota with 210,000 miles on it and my husband drives a 2000 Ford with close to 200,000 miles on it as well. I don't get my nails done I don't shop for clothing unless mine are falling apart, i havent been on a vacation since my honeymoon in 2000 and we live with my mother so before you assume and judge someone, ask what their lifestyle is like.
    Some of us count the shoes we wear as our vehicle. Just sayin'.

This. I couldn't afford a car if I could drive. You really have no idea. I have never been on vacation. Ever. I get $200 a month to feed two people on different special diets. I take the bus everywhere. The only reason I have internet access is because I got a good deal on it and my son needs access for school. There are no room for extras. I buy new clothes when I can no longer wear the ones I have. I have no clothing that is not newer than 6 years old. And those are handme downs from my mother.

You are not living in poverty. You are the one judging people. So don't get affronted when I tell you that you are comparing apples and oranges.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Deleted cuz I don't want to cause drama
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I grew up in upper middle class as a hispanic kid in a white community. I have multiple views in regards to why there is so much obesity.

BTW Obesity is not truly based off of bodyweight. It is based off of fat %. With men it is 30%+.
    I am overweight by BMI standards which is an out of date way to measure.

I was a chubby kid who didnt know much about nutrition, neither did my parents.
    I am biracial so I see both hispanic and asians and the food they eat.
    Many people that come to this country from other places that walk alot tend to eat high calorie fattening foods.
    Colombians are a prime example. They eat alot of fat animal fat, cheeses etc. While there is nothing wrong with that, it is extremely calorie dense for someone to be eating that and not having physical activity.

In colombia they tend to walk quite a bit and use public transportation. They also average a cholesterol of 245 and have lower heart disease than we do here.
    Culture is one factor.

Yes Money is a factor.
    There are plenty of fat people with money that are overweight. They hire personal trainers and nutritionists to create their diet and they also have money to access a variety of food so they wont get burnt out on eating the same food all the time. Fruits can be very expensive. especially berries. blackberries, blueberries, etc.
    Good meat quality is expensive as well. Top sirloin is a very lean cut and is affordable in texas for 4 dollars a pound. In other parts it can be very expensive.

Knowledge. Not many people know about how calories work and the function of energy within the body.
    95% of people here on this site, do not look at studies or see research articles, just like the other "uneducated" they still follow off of old practices. Most of you cannot interpret proper studies and I have met countless people with college degrees even in the medical field who are overweight and obese.

Some people who were traumatized with being overweight while they were younger such as myself and the my view upon it are reasons why people lose weight and know how to.
    If i dont like something about my life I will try to change it.

Physical education honestly needs to change. This is a big problem on treating it as recess rather than furthering their education. Laws of thermodynamics are not limited to objects but living things as well and for some reason schools do not seem to teach that.

There are too many old practices with bad conclusions circulating the internet and these forums.
    Some of them used wrong methods to measure function. such as the infamous protein and kidney study that based impaired renal function off GFR. Where any medical professional knows the way to measure kidney function is creatinine. This is one tiny example.

Hypocaloric diets that have high fat(Even saturated) do not have the same high cholesterol that fat and carbs are associated with . With or without exercise
    hypocaloric diet applies the same way with sugar and diabetes.

Another one is dieting eating "Bodybuilding foods" due to the fact they lost weight easily on it. When food is modified the fullness it creates calorie for calorie gets diminished the more it is altered.

The things people practice are repeated just cause of what they heard. They refuse to listen to new research. Funny thing is most of the things that they practice originally formed off a research that was set up poorly or did not have proper instruments.

Did many of you know about saturated fat not being directly associated with heart disease?
    did many of you know about that with sugar?
    no

so it isnt just poverty. it is everybody and there are multiple factors about why people become obese. Hypothyroidism is that in some cases but you cannot blame it on hypothyroidism while you drink 1000 calories from soda alone while you know you are suffering from hypothyroidism.
  • suswaca
    suswaca Posts: 1
    Options
    When I worked as a cashier, it bothered me that so many people with food stamps would buy pop, sugary cereal, and quick fix meals (frozen dinners, premade and flavored foods, lunch meats in bulk), and a lot of junk, such as chips, cookies, candy, but bought little whole, healthy foods. (Did you know that food stamps will pay for a $50 cake at Walmart?) Good eating habits begin at home. It is possible to eat healthy on $100 a week for a family of four. My children would rather have fresh fruit or veggies than chips or other junk. They enjoy cheeses, but not on everything. It seems that convenience plays more of a role than nutrition when I look at what many people eat. If people only realized that it does not take that much work nor time to make tasty, nutritious meals. Having been in the south for the last fifteen years, I can verify that everything is either slathered in gravy or fried. They have deep fried pickles and snickers bars! One last note: the first birthday party my children attended, the parents told me that lunch would be provided. When we walked in, there were two long tables containing a birthday cake, five different kinds of cookies, every type of chip imaginable, bowls of candy, ice cream, a cooler filled with pop, and a huge (sports style) container of sweet tea. When I asked about it, I was told that these are the foods that children liked, and this is how they celebrated birthdays. Once again, nutrition begins at home. Indulge, but do not over indulge.
  • sailrunner
    sailrunner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your factual information and poignant reminders. It's all too easy to see thru the lens of our own biases.

I appreciate your perspectives and reminders.
  • dellashanks
    dellashanks Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP's,

I am a candidate for a Master of Public Health with a specialty in epidemiology (epidemics,pandemics, chronic and infectious disease) and I have a background coordinating an NGO that dealt exclusively with food insecurity and improving the health and social outcomes of food insecure individuals. Poverty plays a significant role in both childhood and adult obesity.

This issues of food insecurity, food deserts (areas where fresh healthful food is inaccessible or otherwise unavailable) and obesity are intertwined in such a way that individuals without access may have to depend on boxed meals, fast food or other non-perishable options to ensure they are able to sufficiently feed themselves and their families until they can next access food. This is especially true for those who live in food deserts (which are typically populated by the poorest factions of the population). To make matters worse those who depend on food banks will often receive food that is filled with sodium, fat and preservatives and is often very calorie dense. Many food banks do not deal with fresh produce or perishable items and only collect or buy and distribute non-perishable goods. Often food banks could not maintain a stock of perishable foods even if they could collect those items because of the need for refrigeration of some products and because of the perishable nature of fruits and vegetables they may not be able to buy them in bulk or from farmers where they would more reasonably priced. On a regular basis food banks have to delegate funds, would they rather purchase X amount of canned soup or pasta and sauce or some significantly lesser amount of fresh vegetables, being able to feed more people will more likely win out over fresh more varied foods

Another underlying issue is that high fat high sugar foods, along with being inexpensive are also highly palatable and well advertised. As a result children will be more likely to want and ask for items like chips(crisps), boxed macaroni and cheese, Oreo's and other cookies, and sugary cereals like Fruit Loops, Cap't Crunch etc. that are loaded with refined sugar, refined flours, fat and overall are not very nutritious but are addictive. Parents and caregivers play a large role in childhood obesity because they provide and prepare food for young children and as a result they can choose whether or not to buy these items. However, parents may also feel that in giving their children these high fat, high sugar items that they are asking for they are making up for other areas where they may feel their children are being deprived (i.e. not being able to play in organized sports because of cost, not being able to spend much time with their children because of their busy work schedules, not being able to afford new toys, clothes etc.) This is not to say that that type of behavior is correct or that this is the case for all overweight children or parents living in poverty.

Put simply, we live in an environment where cheaper, easier more palatable food is less expensive than healthier alternatives, not to completely shift blame but we need to consider the roles played by the food industry and governments in the cost of food especially fresh food and the provision of (IMO) inadequate social assistance for those living in poverty. This is not to say that I necessarily think we should pour more tax dollars into welfare systems but perhaps subsidize the cost of fresh or fresh frozen healthful foods to make them more appealing and making regularly eating fresh unprocessed food financially feasible for the population as a whole. Though food deserts would need to be examined in order to improve livelihoods in those areas but overall if this were the case, perhaps we would not be facing such a widespread overweight and obesity epidemic in the west (the global north).

Many people living in poverty, even overweight and obese individuals are malnourished. I like to assume that all parents inevitably want the best for their children but simply may not be able to provide the foods that they need to have a healthy varied diet. So we can all assign "blame" as we see fit but as we look at the more holistic picture we may recognize that it is not as cut and dry as we may have thought. I really appreciate whoever posted this topic, its great that we have started the conversation about overweight and obesity and its contributing factors. Many of you have made really great and nuanced points that will contribute to a better understanding of the issue for all of us who read the forums. Keep up the great work MFP's!

Brit

Love this!
  • FearAndTrembling
    Options
    Eating healthier is actually cheaper. Think how much something like carrots cost for example. They are like a dollar a bag. The reason people by processed and fast food is simple, convenience and taste. You are paying for the convenience of not having to put work into making the meal. People have decided they are willing to pay more so they have less prep time. There is a premium on convenience that many people think is worth paying for. That is really all you are paying for at McDonalds, etc. We could make our own hamburger but McDonald's can do it in 1 minute. Same thing with other packaged/prepared meals.
  • dellashanks
    dellashanks Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I recently went to a talk about food security. Basically, it talked about the ability of people living at or below the poverty level, and their ability to feed themselves and their families. Basically what it came down to is this: if a single mother with two kids is on income assistance, she receives $1124 a month.

Now by my calculations:

Monthly income: $1124
    Rent: $ 700
    Basic telephone/cable: $ 65
    Electricity: $ 40
    Bus passes $ 122

So that leaves Mom with $197 a month to feed herself and her two kids. That's $49.25 a week, or $7.04 a day.

Where I live, 4 liters of milk costs $7.49. A 2 liter of pop is $1.49. A loaf of bread costs $2.29. A box of Kraft dinner is $1.09.

In this lecture, they talked about the "basic food basket" which is the food that one would need to buy to follow Canada's food guide for healthy eating. The cost in our community to meet those basic requirements was over $80/week for this hypothetical mother and her two kids.

If a parent is trying to feed herself and her kids on less than $50 a week, of course they are going to eat a lot of boxed meals.

Another issue addressed was the fact that in the cycle of poverty, a lot of times parents just don't know or have the skills to prepare healthful meals, so even though you might be able to cook a healthy stew for $15 that would feed them for three days, Mom might not have the skills or the tools available.

So my point, after this rather long post, is that I do agree, poverty certainly plays a role.

Why isn't this mom getting a job, instead?

It's amazing that everyone thinks its just so easy.

Maybe she is disabled.

Maybe she has a child that is disabled and cannot afford full time care.

Maybe she is unemployed temporarily.

Maybe her husband just died and she was a stay at home mom.

Maybe her husband left her.

Maybe her husband was abusive and she decided to leave him.

Maybe this amount includes her full time job and income assistance?

What the hell difference does it make?

I think you are my new hero! What the hell difference does it make?
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When will people understand that processed and "unclean" foods don't cause weight gain, an excess of calories does. In 98% of the posts in this thread and on the whole forum all I see are these claims about clean eating. Living on cheap fast foods DOESN'T cause obesity, however, eating 4000 calories when you need 2000 to maintain your weight WILL.

With all do respect, and please understand I am not snarking you in any way, but why do people keep saying this on MFP? A calorie, is a calorie is a calorie and the like?

I've only been on here a few days and it repeats itself like a very bad mantra. Unclean food won't make you get weight, yes, I understand the arithmetic here, but its presented as though everybody are immortals on this board and as if coronary disease, hypertension and diabetes are non factors of eating unclean. Maybe its premature of me to make this assessment but I'm starting to feel if I dive deeper in the MFP archives, I'm going to see more of this. This is not just a fallacy, its dangerous. Please don't take offense because I mean none to you.
  • fluffychicken7
    Options
    Eating healthier is actually cheaper. Think how much something like carrots cost for example. They are like a dollar a bag. The reason people by processed and fast food is simple, convenience and taste. You are paying for the convenience of not having to put work into making the meal. People have decided they are willing to pay more so they have less prep time. There is a premium on convenience that many people think is worth paying for. That is really all you are paying for at McDonalds, etc. We could make our own hamburger but McDonald's can do it in 1 minute. Same thing with other packaged/prepared meals.

Yes, I agree. I am not impoverished but I might as well be living here in New York City. I can cook my own breakfast lunch and dinner here for $10 a day. But I can only get one MacDonald's value meal for $7. And if there is some kind of savings here, then I'm missing it terribly.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    REDI4CHANGE60 Posts: 170
    Options
    Bump
  • DatMurse
    Options
    not necessarily. Fruits are fairly pricey depending on what you buy. Honeycrisp apples are 2+ dollars a pound.
    berries, range free grass fed meat are other expensive sources of food
  • DatMurse
    Options
    coronary disease, hypertension and diabetes are non factors of eating unclean.

those only happen with hypercaloric diets.

transfat is different. which is a partial(not fully) hydrogenated oil
  • jjefferies7
    jjefferies7 Posts: 120
    Options
    When will people understand that processed and "unclean" foods don't cause weight gain, an excess of calories does. In 98% of the posts in this thread and on the whole forum all I see are these claims about clean eating. Living on cheap fast foods DOESN'T cause obesity, however, eating 4000 calories when you need 2000 to maintain your weight WILL.

With all do respect, and please understand I am not snarking you in any way, but why do people keep saying this on MFP? A calorie, is a calorie is a calorie and the like?

I've only been on here a few days and it repeats itself like a very bad mantra. Unclean food won't make you get weight, yes, I understand the arithmetic here, but its presented as though everybody are immortals on this board and as if coronary disease, hypertension and diabetes are non factors of eating unclean. Maybe its premature of me to make this assessment but I'm starting to feel if I dive deeper in the MFP archives, I'm going to see more of this. This is not just a fallacy, its dangerous. Please don't take offense because I mean none to you.

A calorie IS a calorie, however that doesn't mean that you still dont need to hit your daily macro/micro/fiber/omega goals. Also the MAJORITY of people don't have coronary disease, diabetes, ect. Obviously no one is going to list off every disease known to man and the specific needs for these diseases. General information like this is for the majority not the minority.
  • fluffychicken7
    Options
    so does this mean this board advocate "unclean eating" then?
  • fluffychicken7
    Options
    Heart disease kills 600,000 people in the United States per year. I'm not sure where all this calculating in majority of people, micro/macro/fiber thing comes in. It wasn't a loaded question. I do not understand what you are trying to say?
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    If you spent $3 on a cheeseburger, fries and a coke at McDonald's you have gotten yourself a kid's meal which would have more calories, less nutrition than one of there $6 salads. I think what it boils down to is laziness. Yes it is easier to swing through a drive through, but if you buy a pound of hamburger meat ($3.50), some buns (usually can find on sale for $1 for 8), a sack of potatoes ($3) you can cook all of it yourself and have left over food for what it would cost to feed a family of four at McDonald's.
    If you're the sole breadwinner in a single-parent house dealing with poverty, and work 17 hours a day in order to provide for your family, is it still "laziness" to buy less healthy foods that don't take 15 minutes and more to prepare, rather than the potatoes and hamburgers (sorely lacking in any vegetables or fruits, incidentally) suggested here?

That depends. How long does it take you to get through the McDonald's drive thru?
    I know it's not easy on everyone, and for some people, like the single parent who works that much, it is hard. I was just talking about cost efficiency, not time or even the food pyramid for that matter. Hopefully, said parent would have care-givers for their children who give a crap and can help instill healthy habits.
  • metalrosethorn
    Options
    I will give a perspective from someone on foodstamps.

I agree with 100% about money is the reason for obesity, along with education. If you don't know better you can't do better.

But honestly. I have a family of 3, and for an entire month I get $85 dollars. I get WIC as well, and they give me ten dollars in fresh fruit. I recently bought a bag of grapes (and I had to take some out, like, half the bag) and 3 plums. For $10. It's very VERY tough to get by on what we have and a lot of the time, I can't choose the healthiest choices because I simply cannot afford it.