spaghetti squash - a healthier alternative to pasta

Options
bellaa_x0
bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
for anyone who wants a healthier alternative to pasta, you MUST try spaghetti squash.

i just had it for the first time last night and loved it! just bake (whole) for about an hour in the oven at 375 F and separate the strands by running a fork through in the "from stem to stern" direction. top with some marinara sauce and enjoy! :)

averages approximately 40 calories per cup (plain)

Replies

• Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Ive always wanted to try it but...I feel foolish for asking...Where do you buy it? Do you have to buy the squash and strip it down?
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    just about any grocery store should have it in the produce section! just cut it in half and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds from the middle of each half.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    YES I love spaghetti squash! I boil it (whole) for like 45 minutes. Never tried baking.

I make a huge thing of skinny bolognese sauce and portion it out into single and double servings and freeze. I'll take out a bag of it when I make spaghetti squash and have it with the sauce. It's my favorite meal!

Here's the recipe for the bolognese:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/crock-pot-bolognese-sauce.html
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    YES I love spaghetti squash! I boil it (whole) for like 45 minutes. Never tried baking.

I make a huge thing of skinny bolognese sauce and portion it out into single and double servings and freeze. I'll take out a bag of it when I make spaghetti squash and have it with the sauce. It's my favorite meal!

Here's the recipe for the bolognese:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/crock-pot-bolognese-sauce.html

definitely trying the bolognese! thanks :)
  • 1jobean
    Options
    Another way to make it is put halves upsidedown on a plate with water on it so it wont dry out and microwave till the outside is squishy when pressed like a baked potato.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yum, i love it too.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash! I've only tried baking it.... what do you do when boiling it, guys?
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump! I need to try this!
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Actually got this recipe from someone else on MFP over a year ago, but have tweaked some of it for my family. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!

Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

1 Spaghetti Squash
    1 jar Marinara (or your favorite spaghetti sauce)
    1/2 pkg cottage cheese (16 oz)
    4 cups mozzarella (this depends on how much cheese you want - we use a lot)
    1 pkg Jenni-o Italian seasoned ground turkey or Italian turkey sausage (or I use 1 pkg ground turkey with Italian seasonings {from Costco} sprinkled on it)

Cut the squash length wise and scoop out seeds and strings (I use an ice cream scoop - it makes it much easier)
    Spray cookie sheet with Pam, place cut down and bake at 350 for about 40-45 mins.
    Take out of the oven, flip them over to cool
    While cooling...
    Brown Ground Turkey drain off fat
    Add Marinara
    Add cottage cheese
    Then scrape a fork across the Squash to make "spaghetti like strands" careful they may still be hot (I just dump in the squash after using the ice cream scoop)
    Place in a large bowl (I usually just mix it all in the skillet - just use a LARGE skillet)
    Add the sauce mixture and mix together

In a 9x13 pan add half the mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella (how much depends on how cheesy or how calorie laden you want the dish...I use about a 1/2-1 cup on each layer) Sprinkle with Parmesan
    Add the other half of the Squash mixture, Mozzarella and Parmesan.
    Bake at 350 until bubbly and cheese has melted.

Note: there will be "water" in the bottom of the pan as I think it's from the squash's natural moisture... just let it drain a bit before placing on your plate or in your bowl.

Sorry, I don't know the actual calorie count- as it depends on how much sauce, cheese, etc you use, and I kind of dump/wing it each time...
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I tried it last week for the first time too and LOVED it. If you don't overcook it, it has a nice "bite" or crunch to it which is super-satisfying. I made a bake with a homemade meat sauce (cooked the squash, stirred in sauce, poured into a baking pan and topped with mozzarella, baked for about half an hour) YUM. And holy massive serving sizes!!! I picked up another squash when shopping today and it'll definitely be a staple in our house from now on.
  • jtmurph7
    Options
    I just had spaghetti squash last week for the first time and I loved it. I cut mine in half ( which was a little hard) cleaned out the seeds and baked it on 375 for 40 minutes. As the squash was baking I sauteed Chicken, onion, garlic, mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes to serve on top of the squash and topped it off with a little fresh graded parmesan cheese.

2s1vyib.jpg
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Love this. Someone told me you can microwave it whole but have to poke vent holes in it. I looked it up on the Internet, and here are a few methods for making it whole.

Cooking Spaghetti Squash Whole

Advantages: It's easier.
    Disadvantages: It takes longer to cook, and you need to watch out for burns when removing the pulp and seeds.

Method: Pierce the squash several times with a sharp knife. (Do this especially if you're microwaving it, or you may end up with a "Squash Explosion.")

Bake about an hour in the oven at 375 F.
    Microwave 10 to 12 minutes, then let stand for 5 minutes or so afterward to finish steaming.
    Boil for half an hour or so.
    Slow Cooker/Crock Pot: Put it in with a cup of water and let it go on low all day (8 to 10 hours).

When done, cut open "at the equator" (not lengthwise), remove seeds and pulp (I use tongs and an oven mitt -- it is HOT) and separate strands with a fork.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I sometimes bake it and keep it in the fridge for quick lunches. Have added sautéed vegtables and peanut sauce to it. I also added roasted cheery tomatoes and onions with a half cup of 2% cottage chees for protein, and a bit of parm. That was really good.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I Love spaghetti squash it is awesome with pasta sauce and also just plain salt and pepper...
    nomnom! Really want some now
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I cut mine in half, then bake. You can drizzle a little olive oil and seasonings on it prior to baking, if preferred. Awesome pasta alternative! I love the crunch :)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I tried it and HATED it... I may have made it wrong, but I couldn't stand the taste or texture.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I haven't had spaghetti squash since I was a kid and want to try it again. I came across this recipe that looks really good...and it's low-calorie.

http://recipes.prevention.com/Recipe/spaghetti-squash-casserole.aspx
  • intriguess
    intriguess Posts: 8
    Options
    Love it too, now I'll have to get some this weekend!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to give you the real spaghetti squash scoop from an older woman who is picky about her food.
    Do NOT think that spaghetti squach can take the place of pasta. It can't. It tends to pick up the flavor of whatever you pair it with. If you put spaghetti squash with pasta sauce thinking it's going to taste like spaghetti, it's only going to taste like bulked up pasta sauce. Add a touch of pasta to it, bulk it with spaghetti squash and it'll taste like pasta with sauce. I prefer to add it to my soups because it bulks up my soups and adds fiber and takes on the taste of the soup without tasting like squash.

I put some in my husbands soup and he never knew it was squash. He knew it was SOMETHING, but didn't know it was squash, and he HATES squash.

I cut it in quarters, feed the seeds to my ducks, and put the quartered squash in a little water in the microwave for 15 minutes. I take it out, let it cool and flake it off into a ziplock or plastic storage container. I always keep some handy in the fridge. It's over in the produce section and it's not expensive, in fact it goes a long way.