need some new sources of fiber!

Options
I'm getting a bit worn out on my same old routine of meals as far as fiber goes and am looking to change it up! I try and keep my fiber intake fairly high but haven't been doing so hot lately and do NOT want to take a fiber supplement! :noway: Other than a stinkin' Fiber One bar, what are your favorite sources of fiber?? :smile: (no offense to the Fiber1 bar 'cuz they are tasty but I'm trying to get my fiber from mostly whole natural sources!)

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    whole wheat items
    beans
    fruits and veges
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Aplples are a huge source of fiber from fruit and they keep you full for a long time. Green leafy veggies are also a biggie. Whole wheat and whole grain crackers are my fav!
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal has around 3g or so. Have you tried the Fiber One cereals? I love the honey clusters kind! It's great to have a snack as well with some string cheese or something.

Wheat bran cereals have a fair amount as well as beans and nuts.
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Raspberries! (My favorite!)

Avocados!

Apples!

Beans, split peas, lentils and legumes! (I do not eat enough of these, myself. I STILL need to learn how to prepare them from dry. :laugh: )

Whole grains!
  • cclarocque
    cclarocque Posts: 15
    Options
    Berries!!! They are one of the highest fiber per gram foods out there and also have tons of antioxidents to boot. I try to avoid fiber supplements like Fiber One bars because I am trying to eliminate HFCS.
  • LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Schwan trim creations fudge bar

They have 50 calories and 5 grams of fiber. I get my chocolate fix in a fudgecycle that tastes good, has few calories and the added boost of fiber.
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean cereal has a good amount of protein. I've also recently switched to steel cut oatmeal for breakfast which is high fiber especially if you add some berries.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hot cereals like Multi-Grain-Hot-Cereal-w-Flaxseed and Soy

http://www.hodgsonmill.com/roi/673/Cereals--More/Multi-Grain-Hot-Cereal-w-Flaxseed--Soy-01044.htm

If you look at the nutrion label you'll see 6 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protien.

http://www.hodgsonmill.com/servlet/com.gcm.servlet.GeneralMessage?detailID=109845

I add a tiny bit more water than recommended and let it sit for a moment longer. I eat with some skim milk, stevia, and a teaspoon of maple syrup. Very tasty. At least I think so.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Yum yum! Thanks for all the replies!:flowerforyou:

I need to add more beans in to the diet for sure, at least a couple of times a week!

Berries are a very smart idea, and they are so in season right now!

Cereal is just not my thing as I do a protein shake for breakfast but maybe I could put some in a snack baggie to peck off of?

Steel cut oatmeal...what's the difference between this and regular oatmeal?
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Triscuits
    Frosted's Mini Wheats
    Bran Buds
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    There are carb balance tortilla's by mission that have anywhere between 8 and 21 grams of fiber depending on the size and if you get whole wheat or flour. Smalls are 80 calories up to 200 calories for the large.
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    There are carb balance tortilla's by mission that have anywhere between 8 and 21 grams of fiber depending on the size and if you get whole wheat or flour. Smalls are 80 calories up to 200 calories for the large.

Now that's a lot of fiber! :drinker: The tortillas I've been using have 12 grams of fiber in a small one. I'll have to see if I can find these ones you speak of!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Black beans have a very high fiber content, 15 grams per cup. And they're yummy!!!!!
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    Black beans have a very high fiber content, 15 grams per cup. And they're yummy!!!!!

They are very yummy! So are black soybeans!! They are my new found discovery. :heart:
  • labelleariane
    labelleariane Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Kiwi