"Lifting Heavy". What does that really mean for women?

I was having a discussion with a friend (Crankstr) this morning and we both agreed that there was a misconception out there about what this term really means. It's used on MFP a lot and I think there should be a thread designed to address this confusion.

Here's the problem: Many women who have never lifted weights are afraid to lift anything heavier than those 3lb pink dumbbells because they fear getting "bulky". This is an unfounded fear. Not only are the 3lb pink dumbbells next to worthless (once a woman has used them for a week or two, her muscles will have adapted and they will no longer provide any real benefit for increasing strength or muscle size. In fact she'd have to increase the speed at which she works out with them to continue to achieve any benefit, and that may not last more than another week or two), but women cannot become "bulky" like men unless they spend years working on it and also take steroids and other such supplements to counteract their lack of testosterone. Put simply, lifting weights will not cause women to get "bulky" unless that woman spends a great deal of time and effort intentionally trying to get "bulky". However, since the term "Lifting Heavy" is frequently used here and many women without experience assume that to mean the same as it does for men (who can and do get "bulky" lifting heavy weights), they are fearful of embracing strength training. So perhaps this term should be replaced with something better and less confusing...

Here's the solution: "Lifting Heavy" when talking about 99% of the women on this site, refers only to the notion that you lift weights while progressively adding weight over time to continue to stress your muscles and force them to grow. It does not mean trying to bench press 300lbs by the second week of training. It simply means that as your muscles strengthen and adapt to your current weight loads, you progressively increase those weight loads to keep pushing your muscles. thus, "Lifting Heavy" really means "Lift Progressively Heavier".

For example, many women who are new to strength training start their squats with nothing more than an Olympic barbell and no weights attached. that barbell weighs ~45lbs and is a sufficient amount of weight to get started while at the same time focusing on getting correct form for the exercise. In time, she'll start adding small amounts of weight to this via weight plates when necessary and able. Continuing this process over months (and years), she'll get to a point where she's actually squatting a considerable amount of weight compared to where she started, but that progression will have happened over a long period of time. In the process, she will have gotten stronger and added LBM to her body (and improved her measurements and body shape). it's this process of slowly and consistently increasing that weight to their lifts that many of the women on here are referring to when they say "Lifting Heavy".

I hope this helps clear up some confusion. Women who are new to the idea of strength training should not feel intimidated. You'll be starting with weights that you can handle and you won't end up looking "bulky".

Obviously, I'm a man and a thread like this really requires feedback from women, so I'd like to invite any of the many women on here who do "Lift Progressively Heavier" to chime in with their own comments, feedback, and examples of the sorts of weight loads they started with, what weight loads they currently lift, and how long it took to get there.

Also, if there are any mistakes or omissions in this post, please point them out to me quickly while I still have time to make edits.

Note - "bulky" is left undefined because it means something different to each person. I assume to most people it means something akin to looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger from his bodybuilding days, or at least the female equivalent.

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    +1. All wonderful info.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member

Here's the solution: "Lifting Heavy" when talking about 99% of the women on this site, refers only to the notion that you lift weights while progressively adding weight over time to continue to stress your muscles and force them to grow. It does not mean trying to bench press 300lbs. It simply means that as your muscles strength and adapt to your current weights, you progressively increase the weights to keep pushing your muscles. "Lifting Heavy" really means "Lift Progressively Heavier".

^^^ THIS!

I know I won't be able to bench 300 lbs anytime soon. I would like to be able to bench press my own body weight soon, though (159 lbs)...pretty sure it is my one rep max...so yes, progressively heavier from your start point, whatever that might be, (usually the olympic barbell) is what I would deem to be "lifting heavy".
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Wow. This is great.
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Thank you! I've been intrigued by "lifting heavy" but have no idea what kind of weight to start with, and the term definitely sounds more intimidating than starting with the bar and adding weight to it over time. It'd be helpful to hear what women started with for different lifts. I haven't done bench press or deadlift or that kind of thing since highschool so I have no clue where to start without hurting myself. I'll also feel more confident going to the weight area at the gym if I know what weight to grab.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    When someone (male or female) says they "lift heavy," I take it to mean they are doing powerlifting or O-lifting or both. I don't really think about it any further than that.
  • I'm a newbie to this and was wondering where to start with dumbbells. I've been using 5kg on each arm but I don't think his is nearly enough. I'm a bit of a wimp in the arm department.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i'd like to add to the fact that lifting heavy is relative. if those small 5lb weights are all you can lift 5-10 times in a row for upper body exercises such as dumb bell bench and dumb bell shouler press, that that is what you have to use.

many women have very very little upper body strength. the smaller dumb bells may be the only thing that they can use for certain movements. and just because you need to use them now, doesn't mean you won't be progressing later.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Not wanting to be bulky is an invalid argument. Even if you did gain fast enough to notice you would just stop lifting for a week or two (or just stop progressive loading) when you got 'too bulk'.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    +1. All wonderful info.
    +2
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Well said :drinker:
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    LURRVVVEEEEE THIIISSSSS thread!!

I started lifting heavy back in October, but became serious with it in November after getting my form down. I started with NROLFW now I'm doing StrongLifts. I may not be as strong as some women, but I'm definitely stronger than when I started.

Here are my lifting stats:

Then/Now

Squat: 70/235
    OHP: 25/70
    Bench: 45/90
    Deadlift: 45/170

I definitely struggle with OHP and bench, but I am getting stronger every day.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Thank you! I've been intrigued by "lifting heavy" but have no idea what kind of weight to start with, and the term definitely sounds more intimidating than starting with the bar and adding weight to it over time. It'd be helpful to hear what women started with for different lifts. I haven't done bench press or deadlift or that kind of thing since highschool so I have no clue where to start without hurting myself. I'll also feel more confident going to the weight area at the gym if I know what weight to grab.

i agree. i'd like to hear from some of the women here on exactly what their progression has been. in short, to simply answer these questions:

1) starting bench press? current bench press? how long have you been doing bench presses?
    2) starting squat? current squat? how long have you been doing squats?
    3) starting dead lift? current dead lift? how long have you been doing dead lifts?
    4) starting overhead press (OHP)? current OHP? how long have you been doing OHPs?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    i'd like to add to the fact that lifting heavy is relative. if those small 5lb weights are all you can lift 5-10 times in a row for upper body exercises such as dumb bell bench and dumb bell shouler press, that that is what you have to use.

many women have very very little upper body strength. the smaller dumb bells may be the only thing that they can use for certain movements. and just because you need to use them now, doesn't mean you won't be progressing later.

I agree with this. For me personally lifting "heavy" is lifting a weight with good form for 3-5 reps, the 5th rep usually is close to failure if not there. So IMO it's about lifting a weight that's heavy FOR YOU for a small rep count.
  • tonicandgin
    tonicandgin Posts: 175

I agree with this. For me personally lifting "heavy" is lifting a weight with good form for 3-5 reps, the 5th rep usually is close to failure if not there. So IMO it's about lifting a weight that's heavy FOR YOU for a small rep count.

i recently started...if i can lift more than 6 reps i add more weight...i'm absolutely loving it and swear i can see definition already...thx for posting, am really interested in hearing what other women that have been doing it for awhile have to say
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member

yes, it's lifting at a weight that takes your muscles to failure so that they will adapt.

however, to women who are not yet lifting, that concept is not easily inferred from the phrase "Lifting Heavy", which is why that phrase should not be used without clarification, IMHO. to the uninitiated, heavy means heavy.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    great info/great thread. i'm still somewhat new to lifting heavy....and i mostly follow a weight training program set out by my personal trainer that doesn't necessarily involve the traditional weighted squats, deadlifts, OHPs, etc. so i've started doing some of my own now.

deadlifts: 90#

:)

i'll add more soon!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    I lift heavy. I've done a lot of lifting things over time, but in 2013 I have become a fan of using the barbell and strength training, I've been doing Stronglifts 5X5 and Starting Strength.

I am 49 years old, I have bad knees & feet, a fibromyalgia diagnosis, and I am very fat. I say this just so that you know that you can lift heavy at any age and in spite of physical problems that you might think would hold you back.

I started with body weight and 20 pounds for squats. I started with 20 pounds for overhead presses and bench presses. You meet your body where it is today, but you challenge it to get stronger every time.

Today I will go squat with 125 pounds. It's only taken me three months to get here. I love how it makes me feel and I love that it takes about 45 minutes to do a workout.

And the very best part is that my knees are so much better now. My left knee is particularly bad, and has been for about 12-15 years. But today, it is almost pain-free. And I haven't been able to say that in a long, long time. :drinker:
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Excellent post! :drinker:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Solid post.

I think also some women don't like the idea of using barbells or dumbbells because "it's what guys use" or "it's what bodybuilders do".

But what are they in reality? Simply a weight bearing object which you can manoeuvre. No different to a bag of groceries or a backpack containing books. The only difference is that you consciously add more groceries to the bag or books to the big (plates on the barbell) over time the stronger you get and the more you can manage.

It is simply applying progressively more resistance (load) on your muscles over time so that they adapt and become stronger though not necessarily larger.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Bump to read later - the ladies from Lea's thread yesterday is what pushed me to do my strength workout last night that I didn't really wanna do! You're AMAZING women