Should i work my abbs everyday?

Options
What's best for toning and strengthening? Working out my abbs every workout, and then having 1-2 rest days a week? Or doing abbs every other workout?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The best way to work your abs is not to target them individually but instead to do compound exercises during your strength workouts that force the abs to heavily engage, like squats, deadlifts, overhead press. Planks and pushups are good bodyweight examples of such exercises.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    What are you doing currently? You shouldn't work them every day, but if you're doing a lighter workout then you can get away with a higher frequency. If you're lifting heavy with squats and deads and then supplementing with serious abdominal work, then twice a week is plenty.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    no such thing as toning...

as far as improving core strength you it all depends on you. i try to do some core work 3 days a week
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The best way to work your abs is not to target them individually but instead to do compound exercises during your strength workouts that force the abs to heavily engage, like squats, deadlifts, overhead press. Planks and pushups are good bodyweight examples of such exercises.

^^agree with the above for strengthening.

Also, your abs are like any other muscle and should be rested for at least 48 hours before training them again.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I try to do at least 300 ab related crunches and leg lifts each work out, and work out 4-6 days a week. Should I include a rest day for my abs in between my work outs?
  • MissWhiting
    MissWhiting Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What are you doing currently? You shouldn't work them every day, but if you're doing a lighter workout then you can get away with a higher frequency. If you're lifting heavy with squats and deads and then supplementing with serious abdominal work, then twice a week is plenty.
    I'm switching from lighter weights and more reps to heavier weights and 3 sets of 10-12 reps. I'm doing squats and deadlifts, a PT has just put together a 2 day split program for me.
  • MissWhiting
    MissWhiting Posts: 4 Member
    Options

as far as improving core strength you it all depends on you. i try to do some core work 3 days a week

What are you getting at?

toning present participle of tone (Verb)
    Verb
    Give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a part of it): "exercise tones up the muscles".
    (of a muscle or bodily part) Became stronger or firmer.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I do mine 4 times a week

anyone can add me
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    u can work them everyday if u like but do not go to failure...your powerlifting program is hitting them hard!!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I work core on squats and dead lift days, which is 2x a week. After doing my major lifts, I add in Roman chair, Swiss ball crunches, weighted side bends, and hanging leg raises. Sometimes I might throw in some burpees. I do core work in a circuit with no rest periods. 3 full circuits of the 4-5 exercises.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Congratulations! That's the stupidest thing I've read on the internet so far today.

So everyone is just a flabby ball of mush right 'cause there's no such thing as toning.
  • giddings78
    giddings78 Posts: 12
    Options
    everyone is forgetting the easiest way to gently work your midsection... holding in your stomach while walking, sitting at the desk, driving to work! it may not be the best but every little bit helps
  • Valerie_Malone
    Valerie_Malone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is true or not, but you can do abdominal exercises everyday because those muscles are the fastest recovering muscles on the body. This is something I heard years ago from a trainer, but it might not be a true statement.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm switching from lighter weights and more reps to heavier weights and 3 sets of 10-12 reps. I'm doing squats and deadlifts, a PT has just put together a 2 day split program for me.

What is generally meant by this is that the "toned" look is mostly achieved by a loss of body fat and increasing the size of muscles. And exercises touted as being for "toning," such as pilates, are not the most efficient way to achieve this look. You will get there much faster if you start a heavy lifting program and eat at a calorie deficit.