Time off to exercise - your comments

Options

Replies

• fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Taking time off to do your weight loss plan isn't going to teach you how to live a healthy lifestyle when you are living a normal life, which includes going to work.

small adjustments that fit into your life and become habits are more likely to lead to long term success

+1
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from, but this is most likely rooted in a wish to make an amazing transformation before people you know see you again and these plans tend to backfire and add to our self worth issues. Like others have said, it would be wise to keep working and just add one hour a day of exercise. If you are really passionate add another hour of just walking or stretching. During your time at work you can save up for new clothes, gym classes that are motivating, accessories, healthful food, you name it. I've tried doing a few hours a day before and you burn out quickly. Suddenly you become ravenous and eat back all your exercise calories, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are planning to do JM DVDs for 3-4 hours per day, I'm not sure that will fall under the "taking care of myself" category. Especially if you have not been doing that amount of exercise at that intensity before.

If you are including stretching and a good amount of walking then 3-4 hours a day probably isn't a bad thing as long as you are eating and drinking enough..
  • danglarity
    danglarity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend taking time off from work. Unemployment (regardless of how it is initiated) is the root of all weight gain evil. I have been out of work for 6 months+. I gained 20lbs very early on, on top of whatever I wanted to lose when I was working. If you look at my ticker, my weight loss goal is the same as yours. I can't WAIT to get back to work because I know I will drop 20lbs just from actively working again. There are 24 hours in a day and you want to work out 3-4 hours per day, but what happens to all that other unaccounted time in a day? I think it is a risk losing the active time you have at work for a few more hours of work out time. Also, I hope taking that time off doesn't put your job security in jeopardy because a new job search could be hard and long. I hope this helps! :)

Also, I'm currently out of work (not by choice) with time on my hands and I only work out 1 hour each day, 5 days a week.
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Taking time off to do your weight loss plan isn't going to teach you how to live a healthy lifestyle when you are living a normal life, which includes going to work.

small adjustments that fit into your life and become habits are more likely to lead to long term success

+1

+2
  • cjpembo
    cjpembo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    4 hours a day is doable... 3 hours a day shopping for and preparing healthy meals, and 1 hour a day working out. A recipe for success. The 50 lbs in a few months idea is never going to work.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    3-4 hours a day is excessive. Unless you are a pro athlete you shouldn't be exercising that much and it isn't required.

Losing 50lbs in 3 months can be unhealthy and not sustainable depending on how much you have to lose. Working out as much in a day as you claim you will be can lead to a disorder.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It's not crazy if you're training for something, and over training is an excuse (most of the time). Most people will never come close to actually over training.

Once you get going every day, you start to recover faster (assuming you eat well). When your body physically tells you to stop, then stop. Fatigue, soreness, cramps - are all normal things. Excruciating pain that physically limits your exercise is not. Use common sense.

You should fit exercise into your schedule though. I work full time (no kids and not married so I have extra time in those respects), and I can fit in 2-3 hours of exercise a day. I don't usually, but i can.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    man, i wish i could take off for a few months and just train and train train and train train and train train and train...
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I lost 47 pounds in 5 months working 9 hours per day 5 days a week.

All you need is 1 hour of exercise 6 days a week and a healthy diet!

Go to work and get paid. A good job is hard to find these days!!!

Similar story. June of last year I was 290ish. By the end of the year I was 230ish. That's with 45 minutes of cardio 3-4 days a week, some simple lifting 3 days a week, and a simple diet change (pretty much did meat/veggies/dairy only most of the time).
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I did this when I lost my job a couple years ago. I took the entire summer off, spent the day "exercising" and getting healthy. I made sure I varried what I did so I didn't feel like I was "working out". I went for walks or hikes every day, I played with my kids, plus I went to the gym, did a couple workout DVD's and started running. I also started watching what I eat and getting back to loving cooking. It was the best 3 months I have ever had.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Well contestants from the Biggest Loser take 3-4 mths off to lose weight & workout up to 8hrs per day, so I don't think what you are doing is "crazy"!

they have hundreds of pounds to lose. OP only has 50.

this is ridiculous. just take 30-60 minutes a day and watch what you eat.
  • nata100
    nata100 Posts: 43
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments.
    No, the picture is not me. I thought it would encourage me a bit more seeing it everyday......
    It is very hard for me to lose weight. I lose 1 or 2 lbs a week and if I "cheat" one day I seem to gain 2-3 back. If I was at my goal weight tomorrow morning I would do everything possible not to gain back. That's why I want to give it a go for 3 months and lose as much as I can (I don't want to lose 50, I would be happy with 30). I am eating right 4-5 times a week but not exercising much.
    And I have the opportunity to take time off work.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments.
    No, the picture is not me. I thought it would encourage me a bit more seeing it everyday......
    It is very hard for me to lose weight. I lose 1 or 2 lbs a week and if I "cheat" one day I seem to gain 2-3 back.

1 - 2lbs a week is EXCELLENT progress. You should be happy with that.

the 2-3lbs you gain from cheating for 1 day are likely just water weight, or food that hasn't left your digestive tract yet. This usually goes down in 2-3 days leaving you right back on track. you cant put on 3lbs of fat overnight, it is simply impossible.

The things that you would do to keep the weight off are the same things you'd do to get it off, so it's best to practise now and do it slowly than do a mad rush and figure it out later and risk putting it all back on.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    post real pics..get real ...love what u look like now! own it...and you will look like your profile pics by the holidays....believe me thats a short time
  • cjpembo
    cjpembo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You and I are similar in age... from one 40 yr old human to another: 90% of our success is in diet. Any fool can exercise. It's those calories consumed (usually late in the day) that make the difference.

I've been working our weights and cardio steady for over 4 years and my weight bounces between 199 and 223 - completely dependent on my eating habits. Currently I'm eating healthy and melting down to 199 again. It all starts and ends in the supermarket !
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I started exercising in January. Jillians 30 day shred plus a half hour on a bike. I really dreaded it at first but pushed on and the first 5 minutes on the bike still have me wanting to quit. I have now thrown in a half hour walk with my dog and Family. You will find that you will feel SO good after a workout. That's what keeps me going back now. In Feb. I joined this group to help me with the eating bit. I try to stay witnin my calorie allotment and give myself one ``whatever`` I want meal a week WITH dessert! This is the LIFE STYLE I want. I work 5 days a week and have 2 kids, a husband and a dog that I still MAKE time for. There are so many things we do everyday that could be given up to make the time for ourselves to get healthy, or combine them. Exercise with TV, get off of Facebook, twitter or whatever. It all takes up our time that we could use in a better way.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    4 hrs! aint nobody got time fo dat.