I've stopped losing weight...Please help! Am i stalling?

Options
I started using myfitness pal on March 1st and quickly started dropping weight by eating only 2200 calories a day and I also did some of Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. I weighed 211 pounds at the time I started to diet. My goal weight is 174. I am a 5 foot 8 1/2 inches and a 24 year old man.
I did really well and as I dropped the weight I adjusted my calories down to 2150 and then eventually to 2100 calories. At one point (for a few days) I dropped my calories to 1950 because my weight was down to 198 pounds but then I noticed my bmr is about 2000 calories so I bumped my calories up to 2050. On April 18th (approx 2 weeks ago) I weighed in at 196 but since then my weight has fluctuated from 195.8 (which i've seen just once) to around 198. Today I weighed in at 197.8.
I am no longer doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred but instead for the past 4 1/2 weeks I have been doing the couch to 5k workout 3 times per week.
I am getting a bit frustrated by not losing weight and in fact gaining weight even while working out. Could someone please help me and tell me whether or not I need to eat at maintenance for a few weeks to reset my metabolism (and if so, what is that...i'm getting conflicting reports) or do I need to adjust my calories again?
Thanks so much!
-J

Replies

• hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    how do your clothes fit? are you seeing any definition yet? what kinds of workouts are you doing? are you including weights? if so, maybe you are weight gaining muscle mass. have someone measure your neckline, waistline and hips along using calipers to measure fat loss. Weight scale doesn't equal fat loss, it just reads your entire weight-bone density, muscle mass, fat, water, etc.
  • Chlobsy
    Chlobsy Posts: 5
    Options
    You body is smart... its adapts to the calories you provide it.

I have found that the only real way to get above such a 'plateau' is more exercises. You can only cut down calories to a certain point, your body does need them to survive. If you want to loose more weight, you will have to move. Fast walking, jogging, swimming, yoga... We spend too much time in front of our computers and TVs.

Look into ketogenic diet. It burns fat not muscle.
  • jmcmath1988
    jmcmath1988 Posts: 16
    Options
    My clothes have become much looser...I started at a size 38 waistline and now I am at a size 34 and even that fits a bit loose. I also started wearing XL shirts and now I can wear some of my L tshirts. I am naturally built thicker up top so not all of my Large t-shirts fit like I want them to because I don't like the super tight feeling some of my large t-shirts give me.
    As I mentioned, I am training for a 5k and I am currently one workout short of completing the first 4 weeks (out of 8).
    When I was doing the 30 day shred I was sticking with 5 pound weights and following Jillian Michael's lead on what exercises to do. Some of those included different types of situps, pushups, as well as jumping jacks, high knees, and many other exercises.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I know there are way to many quick add calories in your diary. How the heck do you know exactly what you are eating with so many of them. I think you are going to have to be more consistent with logging for starters.

Your BMR seems rather high, are you sure you don't mean TDEE, Your BMR should be around 1600-1700.

ETA: regarding BMR I thought you were female, my bad LOL
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you should check out what your TDEE is, and try eating that for a little while.

http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.com/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

also, try strength training. i used to to think that first i should get to goal weight before i started doing real barbell strength train. never have i been more wrong.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options

also, try strength training. i used to to think that first i should get to goal weight before i started doing real barbell strength train. never have i been more wrong.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    right on!!
  • jmcmath1988
    Options
    I don't know but I know there are way to many quick add calories in your diary. How the heck do you know exactly what you are eating with so many of them. I think you are going to have to be more consistent with logging for starters.

Your BMR seems rather high, are you sure you don't mean TDEE, Your BMR should be around 1600-1700.

My TDEE is over 2300. Yes, I mean my BMR. I am a male, not a female. =) This is the website I have been using to calculate my BMR: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    I have also used this one at times and as you can see the BMR is practically the same... http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

The reason I have many quick add calories is because many times I just add all of the calories together and put them in as quick add instead of putting them all in individually...Also, my wife adds them up sometimes and tells me rather than me looking them up. =)

Thanks for the help....any other ideas?
  • Mads1997
    Options
    yep sorry I just edited my post to say I thought you were female
  • jmcmath1988
    Options

All good. =)
  • jmcmath1988
    Options

Ok, where do you go to find your TDEE? There are many websites.
    Also, I'm currently training for a 5K and I'm almost halfway there...do you have any idea if I can do that as well as strength training effectively? If so, do you have any recommendation for strength training routines/exercises?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

guys can do thirty day shred too!!!!
  • Mads1997
    Options
    Just with the quick adds, when you log like that you are not getting a clear idea of what your macros are doing. Quick adds do not calculate carbs, fat, protein, sodium etc.
  • Mads1997
    Options

guys can do thirty day shred too!!!!

LOL I guess so.

OP your sodium is through the roof. One day i looked at (april 27th) and it was nearly 5000 and that's not counting the quick adds.
  • jmcmath1988
    Options
    So, strength training and eating at my TDEE seems to be what some of you have said. Any other ideas or suggestions on what types of strength training to do and where to figure my TDEE? Is it okay to strength train on my off days from training for my 5k? Thanks in advance everyone! You guys are awesome!
  • jmcmath1988
    Options
    Just with the quick adds, when you log like that you are not getting a clear idea of what your macros are doing. Quick adds do not calculate carbs, fat, protein, sodium etc.
    Oh....Okay! I understand what you are saying now. I'll try my best to cut out quick adds if at all possible. Thanks!
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with someone who mentioned strength training, high intensity ones. Do powerlift squats, deadlifts shoulder presses and benches...for supplements add push ups, pull ups and dips. Building lean muscle mass will help you burn more fat. While you do this, eat more protein and healthy fats and moderate on carbs from the good kind such as veggies, fruit, legumes, nuts and seeds. Don't drink your calories, stick with water and don't eat processed foods. Calories is not the only you have to worry about, but you are also have to worry about macro nutrients to balance it out. When you eat refine carbs, your insulin levels shoots up and therefore stores it as fat.
  • jmcmath1988
    Options
    I agree with someone who mentioned strength training, high intensity ones. Do powerlift squats, deadlifts shoulder presses and benches...for supplements add push ups, pull ups and dips. Building lean muscle mass will help you burn more fat. While you do this, eat more protein and healthy fats and moderate on carbs from the good kind such as veggies, fruit, legumes, nuts and seeds. Don't drink your calories, stick with water and don't eat processed foods. Calories is not the only you have to worry about, but you are also have to worry about macro nutrients to balance it out. When you eat refine carbs, your insulin levels shoots up and therefore stores it as fat.

Ok, thanks! But how many calories should I eat? If I plug my information into myfitnesspal it tells me to eat below my BMR which I know can send your body into starvation mode. If I plug my information into most any other site it shows me to eat above my BMR...
  • Misha6
    Misha6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Also, my wife adds them up sometimes and tells me rather than me looking them up. =)
  • jmcmath1988
    Options
    Also, my wife adds them up sometimes and tells me rather than me looking them up. =)

I do the same for her when I cook...Whenever I figure up recipes I tell her the total amount of calories per serving and she does the same. We work together as a team. I've lost 16 pounds and she has lost 15. =)