Losing inches/getting leaner!

Hi everyone,

I've not logged in for a long time but I'm back now. Thankfully I made sensible enough choices and haven't gained any weight back (not lost any either). I get the feeling that my body doesn't really want to lose much more weight, which I'm okay with, but I don't have my dream body just yet. My question for you is how best to lose inches rather than weight so that I can properly tone up and generally be a leaner version of myself?

I currently do Body Pump (Les Mills) 3 times a week - 4 when I have the time. I also do Body Attack once a week (I hate cardio and just do this to give a different dynamic to my weekly work outs). I also do 30 Day Shred on days that I'm not at the gym, or just an extra when I feel like doing more.

Is there anything I could shake up to really get these inches off? What have you found helps? Any suggestions welcome - including diet tips. I don't think I get much protein in?

Thanks guys! xx

Replies

• emarose90
    emarose90 Posts: 52
    Anyone? :( x
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    I found that I lost inches doing the 30 DS but perhaps you are fitter and don't have the inches to lose. Many people will say to start weight lifting. That is where you see many transformation posts.

See this post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/978398-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    yep, lift weights, move some heavy iron around. It will work.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    What part of your body are you trying to lose inches? How many spots on your body do you measure? I measure three areas (chest, waist and thighs), but that doesn't mean that I'm not losing inches on other parts of my body. You may not notice quick results in the areas you are focusing on, but that doesn't mean you aren't losing inches elsewhere. Keep up the good work, you will eventually see the results.

I love cardio. I strength train as well. I like doing a combination of cardio/strength as well. Toning workouts are good to lose inches.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Do resistance/strength as intensely as you can and eat at TDEE.
  • emarose90
    Thanks everyone!

Do we think I'll be better doing free weights then rather than just keep increasing my weight at Body Pump class? I've had a quick look into StrongLifts today so need to do a bit more research first.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Not sure what Body Pump is but I'm just now finishing Insanity and I've only lost 4 pounds but many inches overall. You could try that.
  • emarose90
    Body Pump is a Les Mills class - one hour of weights in a group class format :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    If your inches are fat then yes, you need to work out more. I recommend Zumba. But I always recommend zumba - its lost inches for me :happy:
  • mkkhoza
    mkkhoza Posts: 79
    Thanks everyone!

Do we think I'll be better doing free weights then rather than just keep increasing my weight at Body Pump class? I've had a quick look into StrongLifts today so need to do a bit more research first.

Hi there
    i know Body pump well and it was a great program for me. You asked about free weights. On the days that i may be doing a circuit type workout at the gym I use dumbells a fair bit. They are so many dumbell workouts you can find out on the web and youtube. Most recently though, I have started stronglifts 3X per week. It's been 6 weeks now and I would say that it is very much a different premise from Bodypump. I am getting stronger in a very deliberate and systematic way because I am constantly challenging myself with additional weight...5lbs each week. Just my two cents. Best of luck...feel free to add me if you decide to go in the Stronglifts direction.
  • emarose90
    mkkhoza thank you for your input - I get the feeling it's what I'm going to need to do to seriously change my shape. I'll get some research in and hopefully give it a go!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism - I lost serious inches with this but it's intense cardio.
    Also, have you considered pilates? www.blogilates.com has some great videos and you can really feel the burn, she has some great before & after success stories behind her too!
  • emarose90
    khall86790 - Thank you! I absolutely hate cardio if I'm honest :laugh:

I would love to do pilates - I did it for a while at my old gym, but the new one doesn't have any pilates/yoga type classes. I really miss that type of workout. I'll check out that link though and see if I can do it in my living room! Thanks!
  • Lind5ay90
    Lind5ay90 Posts: 376 Member
    The best way for me to lose inches is definitely cardio whether it be walking or running/jogging.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Thanks everyone!

I don't think it matters as long as it is resistance/strength training and it's intense. I lost inches without losing weight by doing body weight exercises and Turbo Fire.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    khall86790 - Thank you! I absolutely hate cardio if I'm honest :laugh:

I would love to do pilates - I did it for a while at my old gym, but the new one doesn't have any pilates/yoga type classes. I really miss that type of workout. I'll check out that link though and see if I can do it in my living room! Thanks!

No worries, she does a great workout calendar if you sign up (for free) to her newsletter.I can't even complete a full day and I pride myself on being pretty fit nowadays... but for the last 2 days I've been walking around like John Wayne after trying to do a full day of her leg exercises. It's all pilates based but her videos are based on "targeting muscle groups" so she does ab videos, leg videos, butt videos, etc. All about 10-15 mins long each so it's easy to great your own workout from it too.

Also a side note, she is REALLY irritating but once she's kicked your *kitten* in a 10 minute video you will not care!