"Lifting Heavy". What does that really mean for women?

Options

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I have all of my current 1 rep max stats on my profile page and update them when I hit a new 1 rep max.

My starting weights were very low. I was very afraid of the bench press and overhead press because of my surgeries (missing a 2 inch x 3 inch piece of pec muscle on the left side, reconstruction), but I'm doing it now!

Bench start: 35 pounds x 5. I work out with 60x10 65x5. Still low, but progressively increasing. I have only been doing upper body since February.

OHP start 25 pounds x 5. Now 45 x 10 or 50 x 5 for work.

I have been getting serious about my squats and dead lifts with the barbell since December. Before that, it was dumb bell and machines since September. I've seen the biggest difference in my body since March.

Dead lift I started with 95 pounds. I've dropped the weights to work on form, so I work with sets of 115 pounds or 135 pounds. I can lift more. My max is in the 170s.

Squat I started with 65 pounds. Now I routinely work with sets of 125 and 135, but my max is 175.

Right now I work out with less weight than I can actually use because I haven't been feeling well and I'm cutting.

I am tall and trim. 5'7" and 125 pounds.
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    I'm new to lifting, I started out with JM 30 DS which incorporates weights. I started off with 3lb dumbbells & that was extremely hard! I now use 5 lb weights bc the 3 lb weights were not enough. I haven't done it in a while & am just starting up again, but still with the 5 lb weights. When the 5 lb gets too easy, i have a set of 8 lb weights just waiting for me on my bedroom floor. I'm not sure what to do once those get too easy for me bc I can't afford a gym (and now my car needs much needed repairs) & the higher the weights, the more expensive they are. I'll probably have to buy them one at a time.

Buy them used on craigslist or similar. My husband lifts at home for the convenience and has gotten quite a setup including some really nice vintage York Olympic bars and plates for short money (compared to retail anyway).
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for starting this! Lots of good info being shared and hopefully some things being cleared up.

n1rpkl.gif

I started doing Strong Lifts 5x5 about 6 months ago. I'm currently 181lbs, 5'6" and I'm pretty happy with my body composition at this point. I have next to no jiggle, even though I have about 20lbs left to lose. The weight is coming off more slowly, but I'm losing inches and clothing sizes, so that's still good. I outweigh my mother by a good 30lbs, but we wear the same pants size and I wear a smaller size shirt. I'll take that :)

My stats:

Starting Bench - 75lbs
    Current Bench - 100lbs

Starting Squat - 135lbs
    Current Squat - 175lbs (1 rep max of 265)

Starting Deadlift - 100lbs
    Current Deadlift - 205lbs (1 rep max of 265)

Starting Overhead Press - 55lbs
    Current Overhead Press - 70lbs (1 rep max of 85)

Starting Row - 45lbs
    Current Row - 70lbs

I've made a lot more progress in my lower body than my upper body, which is normal. Women just aren't as strong in the upper body. But I can tell you that doing general activities is so much easier. I carried my 50lb 4 year old over a mile in heels. No problem! I can lift things around my home without asking my husband for help. Carrying groceries isn't taxing. I get boxes of paper for my coworkers. It's awesome to be able to do those things without thinking twice. Strength is functional and it's great to have.

I'm not bulky. In fact, I keep getting smaller. I'm also a runner, and strength training has helped my running. Stronger legs = better runs.

Ladies, don't be afraid to lift and don't feel bad if you start with lower numbers. Strength training is about improving yourself - not competing against someone else.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be get the empty dumbbell bars (Walmart has them) and then buy plates to add. Much better than buying sets of different weight pink or blue ones.

^ this. fixed weight dumbbells are fine for a gym, but it's a waste of money if you plan on using these at home because the lower weighted ones become useless as soon as your muscles adapt past them.

This is what I have. I have some smaller final ones, which we have used for rehab exercises and the kids if they want to lift with me. My best value has been a 29 kilo set. That's about 44 pounds. It will take me a bit to out grow them, and I can always add more .
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    FYI,

Yoovie has mirrored my OP in her "Girls Who Lift" group because she is not able to post on the public forums.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/978636--lifting-heavy-what-does-that-really-mean-for-women

I think she has MUCH more to contribute to this topic, including details of her own success story. if you're a woman and you are currently lifting, or just thinking about lifting, this is the group you want to join. the people in there are serious about this part of their fitness regimen and most of them started EXACTLY where you are.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12919-girls-who-lift-the-guys-who-spot-them

PS, #freeyoovie :wink:
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Very good info!

Most women already 'lift heavy', at least if they are mothers. I talked to some silly woman in the grocery store the other day, she told me she won't lift more than her 2 pound weights because she doesn't want to 'get bulky'...all said while holding her sleeping 3 year old, 35 pounds son!! Anyone who has ever carried a sleeping toddler knows that is all dead weight. I pointed out to her that she could lift and carry her son around with no problems on a daily basis, and that didn't make her bulky. She insisted that it's 'different' than lifting even 5 pound weights. Hmmmmm.

That is an excellent point! Most people regularly lift pretty heavy weights without realising it. Like you say, you don't get bulky when picking your kids up :)

Great thread by the way OP, I'm only just getting in to heavy lifting after seeing some of the fab results from ladies here. Really enjoying it :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I was told on here recently that the term 'lifting heavy' only applies to compound lifts.

well, yes and no. in my opinion, compound lifts should be the core of your work out, and all other stuff is the assistance exercises. machines and dumb bells can and most certainly should be used in a strength training program to help you target specific areas you might otherwise be lacking.
  • TheCherryMama
    Options
    It's sad that this isn't already common knowledge. Hitting cardio like a hamster in a treadmill for over 20 minutes is useless. Humans weren't designed to do endurance. But benefit from HIIT training. I hit up all the big lifts, and then do some HIIT on the mill. Women just can't get bulky due to low testosterone. Thats why those HUGE female body builders take testosterone.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    For me, I started out with the Olympia barbell and go up. I am up to 85lbs squatting and 85 deadlifting. Yay for lifting heavy!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    i agree. i'd like to hear from some of the women here on exactly what their progression has been. in short, to simply answer these questions:

1) starting bench press? current bench press? how long have you been doing bench presses?
    2) starting squat? current squat? how long have you been doing squats?
    3) starting dead lift? current dead lift? how long have you been doing dead lifts?
    4) starting overhead press (OHP)? current OHP? how long have you been doing OHPs?

1) starting bench press (for reps): 45# - current bench press: 75# - 4 months
    2) starting squat (for reps); 45# - current squat: 125# - 4 months
    3) starting dead lift (for reps): 45# - current deadlift: 110# - 2 months
    4) starting OHP (for reps): 45# - 1 day (just attempted on Wednesday)
  • TheCherryMama
    Options
    Thank you so much for starting this! Lots of good info being shared and hopefully some things being cleared up.

n1rpkl.gif

I started doing Strong Lifts 5x5 about 6 months ago. I'm currently 181lbs, 5'6" and I'm pretty happy with my body composition at this point. I have next to no jiggle, even though I have about 20lbs left to lose. The weight is coming off more slowly, but I'm losing inches and clothing sizes, so that's still good.

My stats:

Starting Bench - 75lbs
    Current Bench - 100lbs

Starting Squat - 135lbs
    Current Squat - 175lbs (1 rep max of 265)

Starting Deadlift - 100lbs
    Current Deadlift - 205lbs (1 rep max of 265)

Starting Overhead Press - 55lbs
    Current Overhead Press - 70lbs (1 rep max of 85)

Starting Row - 45lbs
    Current Row - 70lbs

I've made a lot more progress in my lower body than my upper body, which is normal. Women just aren't as strong in the upper body. But I can tell you that doing general activities is so much easier. I carried my 50lb 4 year old over a mile in heels. No problem! I can lift things around my home without asking my husband for help. Carrying groceries isn't taxing. I get boxes of paper for my coworkers. It's awesome to be able to do those things without thinking twice. Strength is functional and it's great to have.

I'm not bulky. In fact, I keep getting smaller. I'm also a runner, and strength training has helped my running. Stronger legs = better runs.

Ladies, don't be afraid to lift and don't feel bad if you start with lower numbers. Strength training is about improving yourself - not competing against someone else.

She get is! And of course pounds are coming off slower, you're adding awesome lean body mass!
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Bump to read, analyze and obsess over later :drinker:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My only comment is... if the 45lb bar is too heavy for anyone just starting, they DO make lighter bars! Don't fret if it's too heavy :)

Oh, and I love all you bishes :)

<3
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    This is great and I want to read it again. Thanks for posting.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    FYI,

Yoovie has mirrored my OP in her "Girls Who Lift" group because she is not able to post on the public forums.

Why can't Yoovie post on the forums?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    FYI,

cuz she's awesome
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Tag for my friend list. Thanks so much! This is great info!!!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    i agree. i'd like to hear from some of the women here on exactly what their progression has been. in short, to simply answer these questions:

1) starting bench press? current bench press? how long have you been doing bench presses?
    2) starting squat? current squat? how long have you been doing squats?
    3) starting dead lift? current dead lift? how long have you been doing dead lifts?
    4) starting overhead press (OHP)? current OHP? how long have you been doing OHPs?

1) Bench: Started with the bar: 20 kgs/45 lbs, am now lifting 37.5 kgs/ 83 lbs. for reps
    2) Squat: Started with the bar: 20 kgs/45 lbs, am now lifting 60kg/132 lbs. for reps
    3) Dead Lift: Started with the bar: 20 kgs/45 lbs, am now lifting 75kg/ 165 lbs. for reps
    4) OHP: Started with 10 kg/ 22 lb. barbell, am now lifting 30 kgs/ 66 lbs. for reps

I started lifting most recently at the very end of October/beginning of November. I had two months where I didn't do my usual barbell lifts, but was working on a kettlebell program instead which consisted of lots and lots of cleans and presses...so I wasn't NOT lifting, but I wasn't doing these particular lifts during that period. I started back in March and was pleased to find I hadn't lost much strength at all, really. It took me about two weeks to get back to where I was in December.

So a total of 4 months lifting, I guess. :love:
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    FYI,

cuz she's awesome

Agreed!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    :heart: