Anyone have workout DVD success starting over 200lbs?

Options
I'm looking to do a workout program that yields awesome results when the work is done. I've had some experience with the 30 Day Shred, and it's alright, but maybe a little boring to me. I'm starting at 250 pounds. I've researched Insanity and P90X, which a lot of people have had success with. But most of them seem to be a lot less heavy than me when they started. Also, I've read some reviews on their products and they have a lot of issues with bad DVD's. I was interested in the Insanity Fast and Furious but again, reviews kind of turned me off. What have you had success with?

Replies

• samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I started at 220, am now 140, and don't have a gym membership. I have done Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, Boost Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones, and Killer Buns and Thighs. I love all of them!

I also do zumba and the biggest loser xbox games. And I do some of the things I've seen online like youtube ballet, the 30 day squat challenge ect.

I would love to try insanity too but it's expensive... hence why I don't have a gym membership. I find that when I have the most success and when I am really strict with my eating, the exercise will always give me results no matter which program I'm trying out. Idk if this helps, but I just want to say that DVD's can take you far if you put the work in. They certainly have worked for me!
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have been doing turbofire since January. I weighed 205 when I started and now I weigh 166! It's hard at first because it is high intensity but it really gets results. I also do yoga around 5 days a week. I use the website doyogawithme.com.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I do DDP Yoga. I started at 278 and am down to 229 here in Week 13 of the "Beginner" program. I eat much better and walk daily (with a little running here and there). Mostly, I credit the program, since it took care of most of my pain before I really started dropping weight.
  • angeliqueann
    angeliqueann Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I did. the 30 day shred and occasional walking. dropped down to 160 from 218... now I'm at 140.9 doing zumba for 4 mos....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/934180-finally-i-get-to-post-my-success-story-185-days-on-mfp
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    [img]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n623/dessyjo/Weight loss journey/0f142bce-e84f-4a97-9166-f8ea55e2041d.jpg[/img]

5 days on level 1, rested Saturday and Sunday. (Lost 5lbs)
    & 5 days on level 2, gained 1 or 2lbs.

I lost the first 20lbs using rockin' body DVDs.

Edit: Forgot to add I started at 238. I was at 217 when I started 30ds and am now 213 or 214.
  • clearlyme
    clearlyme Posts: 36
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds are really fun and she has a lot of variety. I am 233, started at 245 and I'm 5'2". When I actually do her 3 mile 5x a week, the weight and inches fall off and my butt perks up!
  • WannaBLoser2013
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey I was almost 240 pounds and I lost 20 pounds with the Slim in 6 DVDs from beach body. When you are really heavy the first 20 to 30 pounds are easy to lose if you watch what you eat and are consistent with exercise. I have had success reshaping my body using 30 day shred, banish fat boost metabolism, no more trouble zones. Billy Blanks power taebo is a great cardio workout and it burns lots of calories. I just started Hip Hop Abs and it is a lot of fun, I did day 4 today. You just have to be consistent as I said and patient.
  • hillary71
    hillary71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started 2 1/2 years ago at 222.6 and am at 170.2 now. I started with P90 and the Biggest Loser DVD's. The biggest Loser DVDs are inexpensive, I have 5 videos total and would just rotate so I wasn't doing the same routine 5 days a week. I would say I lost the first 30 pounds using those videos in about 6 months. Then I took a hiatis and started this January again..... As I have gotten more confident with my exercising in public and my size I now have a trainer 2 days a week. I do 3 days of cardio on my own sometimes at the gym, sometimes just at home. Good luck! I agree with WannaBLoser20, patience and consistency:)
  • LoveDreamSmile
    Options
    Hi..I have lost 47 lbs total by eating healthy daily and using 30 day shred and banish fat, boost metabolism. I also do yoga. I work out 6 days a week so it has worked well for me! Workout dvds are great. ♡ I want to start running pretty soon..I'm pretty sure I will by July since I believe I will be confident enough to do it.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I started by getting some DVDs from walmart (various dance types) and I love zumba and kickboxing also. I have to say my best workouts are made up outside though. I do some running, some walking, some stair climbing all to the sound of my MP3 player. I just keep adding to my route and different ideas come to me about how to get more from my work out. I get bored easily so I like to be able to change the work out on a dime. The weather is completely unpredictable in Texas though so I do have a butt load of DVDs to choose from and I also have Fit TV from Time Warner cable that usually offers a variety of workouts on demand. Also youtube is a great place to go and explore if you are looking for something different. Good Luck!
  • rosem1020
    rosem1020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I started doing Body Combat at the gym at 260. At around 220-230 (?) I started their at home DVD's which you also get through Beachbody, like P90x and insanity. I had wonderful success with it! It's not easy at first but the moves are doable and before you know it you have it mastered.
  • nutteranna
    nutteranna Posts: 23
    Options
    well i used to do zumba and did well with that however i got bored lol so now i do tae bo its great very high energy which is good to burn those lbs before you tone up and it has sections for toning up too good luck xxxx
  • nutteranna
    nutteranna Posts: 23
    Options
    I started doing Body Combat at the gym at 260. At around 220-230 (?) I started their at home DVD's which you also get through Beachbody, like P90x and insanity. I had wonderful success with it! It's not easy at first but the moves are doable and before you know it you have it mastered.
    i been looking for a body combat dvd where did you find one?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to do a workout program that yields awesome results when the work is done. I've had some experience with the 30 Day Shred, and it's alright, but maybe a little boring to me. I'm starting at 250 pounds. I've researched Insanity and P90X, which a lot of people have had success with. But most of them seem to be a lot less heavy than me when they started. Also, I've read some reviews on their products and they have a lot of issues with bad DVD's. I was interested in the Insanity Fast and Furious but again, reviews kind of turned me off. What have you had success with?

collagevideo.com (and totalfitness.dvds.com too) have video clips & reviews for hundreds of workout DVDs. You can see what equipment is required, if the DVD is high impact, fitness level.

Cathe Friedrich has a whole series of challenging low impact DVDs ...http://www.collagevideo.com/searchresults.aspx?type=all&search=cathe+low

I'm more intermediate - Kelly Coffey Meyer is great - lots of variety in her 30 Minute to Fitness series.
  • mnmss2930
    mnmss2930 Posts: 55
    Options

I started Hip Hop Abs on April 22 and at the time I weighed 220 lbs. I am 5'5" and have allowed myself to get too out of shape for words. Quite embarrassing actually. I used to be quite active but lost my way. My diet was horrible, etc. etc. etc....the "normal" story. Last year I tried the 30 day shred and was able to get through about 4 days before I just could not do it anymore as it was too high impact for me and it was not getting easier. As with many people, my mid-section is the worst part of me (with regard to weight) so I figured I needed something to target that area. Honestly, I thought the Hip Hop Abs was kinda hokey, but thought, what the heck...I'll give it a try. I am so glad I did. In one week of following the suggestions with this training, I lost 10 lbs and 5.75 inches. It is not overly hard, but it does make you work for it. My husband has kept up with me and started on the same day...He weighed 265 lbs and lost 11 lbs and 4 inches in the first week. It was a great start and gives that motivation to continue.

Here's hoping you find a program that works for you!! :happy:
  • rlinaresv
    rlinaresv Posts: 108
    Options
    Dude,
    I joined MFP on January 7th at 285 lbs. Start walking/jogging around 5 times a week and weights 3 times a week. By March 3rd I was at 255 and started Insanity at my own pace, no way I could/can keep up with Shaun T. Anyways I have been doing insanity around 4 days a week instead of the 6 days the program has. I'm also running in average 4Km a day 5 days a week and started stronglift 5x5. Today I'm at 230 and I'm about to finish the rest week in insanity (which is the break between month 1 and 2). I do not know exactly what is working for me but I believe everything is. Of course watching pretty close my food choices.

Go for it, no matter which workout you choose, bottonline is do something. I gotta warn you, Insanity is f$%#&ing insane.
    Good luck
    Cheers
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Regarding the cost of P90X, Insanity, etc.:

They are expensive, but you can usually always find a used copy somewhere for lots cheaper. I got my Chalean Extreme used on Amazon and Insanity used off of Craigslist super cheap.

Good luck!
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Ugh .. I don't think I do those right now. I can barely walk for half an hour without my back and feet hurting. I feel like I need to drop like 40 pounds before I can consider doing these videos.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight doing Jillian Michaels DVDs (Burn Fat, Boost Metabolism, Ripped in 30, Extreme Shed and Shred, No More Trouble Zones), then moved on to Turbo Fire, now I'm doing a combo of Turbo Fire and Fitness Blender (YouTube) strength training workouts, with some JM thrown in for some flavor. I love being able to workout at home, except with some dude shows up trying to sell me sat. TV service.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!