Gain muscle AND lose weight?

Options
HELLO WORLD!!!

I do seem to be stuck in a see-saw.

I can only reach my strength and muscle goals when I eat a lot of calories..., I DO put on muscle, but I also get fat.

When I eat less and lose fat, that's great, but I lose a lot of my muscle strength and size in the process.

How do people end up doing both, I can't figure this out!!!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    They don't (except on IF or gear). Most people bulk then cut. I've had pretty solid gains while cutting on IF but you have to be 100% spot on with your diet.
  • CheesyPoofs
    CheesyPoofs Posts: 31
    Options
    The outpouring of excitement this topic has caused is overwhelming.

:)
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Are you getting "fat" lifting or just gaining weight? Big difference. I am switching gears from heavy cardio to a better mix of weights and cardio. I expect my weight to go up...just want to keep the measurements (waist primarily) in check. Maybe look at the tape more than the scale?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    One or the other. Almost impossible to do both (naturally).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One or the other. Almost impossible to do both (naturally).

IDEA Fitness member

^^ this

You have choose to get more muscle or get more lean.

You can do something like go on a bulk for 3 months and then cut for 3 months. Just pick a time phase for each and stick with it.

There are some small exception such as newbie / Muscle Memory gains but, that will only work for a short time.
    Someone mentioned IF but, I think she is thinking the Leangains protocol. Which essentially is a cut/bulk cycle that alternates every 1 or 2 days.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I will speak from personal experience.

I eat at maintenence and don't seem to have trouble gaining muscle while losing fat. Granted, this is a VERY SLOW process and I do lots of HEAVY LIFTING. And I mean HEAVY. I also eat very well. No processed foods, no GMOs, nothing I can't make myself at home. Not going to lie, I don't completely deprive myself of the deemed "bad" stuff 100% of the time. I'm a big fan of ice cream and treat myself whenver I like :)

Anyway,

So in my opinion, you don't neccesarily need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle, and you don't neccesarily need to eat at a deficit to lose fat.

You need to work those muscles. Engage that metabolism. Fuel your body with the right sources.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I eat at maintenence and don't seem to have trouble gaining muscle while losing fat. Granted, this is a VERY SLOW process and I do lots of HEAVY LIFTING. And I mean HEAVY. I also eat very well. No processed foods, no GMOs, nothing I can't make myself at home. Not going to lie, I don't completely deprive myself of the deemed "bad" stuff 100% of the time. I'm a big fan of ice cream and treat myself whenver I like :)

Anyway,

So in my opinion, you don't neccesarily need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle, and you don't neccesarily need to eat at a deficit to lose fat.

You need to work those muscles. Engage that metabolism. Fuel your body with the right sources.
    You're fortunate to have great genes then. When I started at 124lbs after high school, I was eating 5-8 times daily to consume the amount of calories I need to put on mass.

IDEA Fitness member
  • SaresMansell
    SaresMansell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So I weigh 200lbs and I've been thinking about doing stronglifts to build muscle, does that mean I'll stay stuck at this weight? Should I lose the weight first then start doing weights?

Getting a bit confused with it all

x
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting heavy on a deficit you will maintain muscle whilst losing the fat. I have seen a tiny increase in muscle over 4 months but it's only newbie gains.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Anyway,

You're fortunate to have great genes then. When I started at 124lbs after high school, I was eating 5-8 times daily to consume the amount of calories I need to put on mass.

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah that's what I have considered as well. I know what works for me works for a small percentage of those out there trying to drop BF%. Just figured I would throw it out there since the worst that can happen while eating at maintenence is stay the same.

You have definitely come a long way from 124lbs! Hard work does pay off.
  • jjefferies7
    jjefferies7 Posts: 120
    Options
    They don't (except on IF or gear). Most people bulk then cut. I've had pretty solid gains while cutting on IF but you have to be 100% spot on with your diet.

Are you talking about gaining strength or actually building muscle while cutting on IF. IF isn't magic and you still need a calorie surplus to build muscle mass. Strength though is definitely possible during a cut, but would likely be the same on IF or eating regularly throughout the day, it's just preference.
  • brandonzeciri
    Options
    If you want to cut fat and gain muscle at the same time you need to:

If you're consuming say 1500 calories/day to lose 2lbs per week right now, then cut that down to 1000 calories/day 5 days out of the week. The other 2 days/week should be at about 2500-3000 calories.

This whole notion that you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time is old school BS...
  • CheesyPoofs
    Options
    Are you getting "fat" lifting or just gaining weight? Big difference. I am switching gears from heavy cardio to a better mix of weights and cardio. I expect my weight to go up...just want to keep the measurements (waist primarily) in check. Maybe look at the tape more than the scale?

what I've been getting is increased muscular figure with a lot of residual body fat.

I'm currently over 22% Bodyfat I believe.
  • CheesyPoofs
    Options

You can do something like go on a bulk for 3 months and then cut for 3 months. Just pick a time phase for each and stick with it.

There are some small exception such as newbie / Muscle Memory gains but, that will only work for a short time.
    Someone mentioned IF but, I think she is thinking the Leangains protocol. Which essentially is a cut/bulk cycle that alternates every 1 or 2 days.

Yeah, 3 month bulk and 3 month cut is ok, but it usually seems to leave me with very little muscular gains after the 3 month cut, its like all the muscle I gained disappears, leaving me in a permanent see-saw of HELL.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    If you want to cut fat and gain muscle at the same time you need to:

If you're consuming say 1500 calories/day to lose 2lbs per week right now, then cut that down to 1000 calories/day 5 days out of the week. The other 2 days/week should be at about 2500-3000 calories.

This whole notion that you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time is old school BS...
    Lol, broscience at it's best. I'm sure the best bodybuilder's in the world (who's only concern is to put on muscle) are using this fool proof method.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CheesyPoofs
    Options

This is the gray area that many people speak about, like there is a magic way to do both things, if you're in some ZONE of correct exercise and calorie consumption.

In my opinion, more research needs to be done about this, because its hard for most people to do both.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Yeah, 3 month bulk and 3 month cut is ok, but it usually seems to leave me with very little muscular gains after the 3 month cut, its like all the muscle I gained disappears, leaving me in a permanent see-saw of HELL.

What resistance training program are you using to do this?

IDEA Fitness member
  • CheesyPoofs
    Options

Are you talking about gaining strength or actually building muscle while cutting on IF. IF isn't magic and you still need a calorie surplus to build muscle mass. Strength though is definitely possible during a cut, but would likely be the same on IF or eating regularly throughout the day, it's just preference.

What is IF?
  • CheesyPoofs
    Options
    [/quote]What resistance training program are you using to do this?

[/quote]

If varies, usually a fairly low volume strength cycle, like 5-8 sets of varying intensity levels.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What resistance training program are you using to do this?

If varies, usually a fairly low volume strength cycle, like 5-8 sets of varying intensity levels.
    [/quote]You're not training for strength (although that could be achieved with it), you're training for mass. So high volume (lots of sets between 16-24 sets) for each body part with reps between 6-12.
    Personally I do 4 sets per exercise with rep range 12, 10, 8, 6 increasing weight progressively each set. IE for chest I'll do incline bench, dumbell flat bench, dips and either flyes or crossovers. May even add a final set of pushups to really engorge my chest with blood.

IDEA Fitness member