Lactose Intolerancy...?

Options
Hey guys! So I've been having stomach pains like cramps, but up in my ribcage and down into my stomach area. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what it is, but I am thinking that dairy is making me sick. I've cut down on my dairy intake and I am still having some stomach pains and bloating.

Anyone have this experience? Did you stop eating dairy all together? Could it possibly be something else?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The only way to find out is to cut it out and then add certain foods back in, slowly. Some dairy is easier to digest then others.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Could be acid reflux, could be dairy. Try some lactaid and see if it helps. If not, you may want to get that checked out. My son got acid reflux from eating too late at night.
  • roiLEI1554
    roiLEI1554 Posts: 143
    Options
    It could be IBS? You might want to check with your doctor (that's what I did and found out I had both IBS and lactose intolerance).
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It could be IBS? You might want to check with your doctor (that's what I did and found out I had both IBS and lactose intolerance).

This. I'm lactose intolerant and so I buy Lactaid products and the whey protein I use (ON) has some lactase in it to help with digestion.

But yeah, see a doctor, it could be anything.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I agree with others-- see a doctor.
    But, when I was having very similar issues, the doctor couldn't pin-point the problem. She suggested cutting out dairy and wheat. Unfortunately, for figuring these things out, one of the only things that works for sure is a 100% elimination diet. Cut out all dairy for a few weeks (rather than just cutting back on it), and see if you feel better. This was what I did (it solved the problem), then I was able to re-introduce dairy into my diet as long as I take a maximum-strength Lactaid pill every single time I eat dairy.
    That was back in high school. Recently, something similar started happening again, and I cut out dairy for a few weeks with no results. Then I tried cutting out gluten for a few weeks and figured out that was the reason.
    With a lot of food intolerances (versus allergies, where you can have a more immediate reaction and often be tested for it), elimination diets are the easiest way to figure out what you've got going on.
    Obviously what worked for me may not work for anyone else, but I figured I'd share my success.
    Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It could be a wide variety of things. Just one example, my mother had the same symptoms you described for years before she got it checked out. Turned out, she developed a caffeine sensitivity so she has to avoid it, including the amounts found in chocolate. Sometimes she cheats (usually with some chocolate or the rare caffeinated soda) and she pays the price for about a week after. Get it checked out and see if the medical community can identify it.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    You must know... they make a whole line of milk products, lactose removed, for this very reason. It's good too... try it. I do.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    ....or a hiatal hernia, maybe? Have a doctor check it out. I'm lactose intolerant and use lactaid. It works fairly well - not perfectly, but it allows me to have a bit of cheese here and there.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm lactose intolerant. I cut it ALL out. No butter, milk, cream, cheese, whey, casein etc.

There are tons of great vegan (and soy and nut free) options.
  • Musicianess20
    Musicianess20 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Yep! My problem too.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Try going a few days without any dairy at all then have something that a trigger like a glass of milk...icecreme...cheese...and see if the symptoms return.

For some people they cannot tolerate any dairy, for others it's certain kinds that are more irritating than others. Icecreme kills me.

Try reducing your dairy intake if you do find it is the problem, It's quite easy and once you cut it out or reduce it you don't miss it that much because it makes you sick
  • aceofspades69
    aceofspades69 Posts: 159
    Options
    This does not sound fun!
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and it's becoming better since I've cut off dairy and wheat products
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant. I can only do yogurt. Otherwise stomach cramps, gas, vomiting and running in the bathroom for hours. I cut out all dairy 40 days ago. And MAN I am a new woman. I also wonder if the bumps I had on my arms was from the dairy too. Cause they are gone. That or from all the water I drink.

In the beginning it was hard, but I don't miss dairy at all now. I don't miss being sick either.

The lactaid pills did not help me at all.