p90x and hrm

Options
Okay so I have been using my new polar ft7 and love it, but almost wish I would have never gotten it. Here is why this is round 2 of p90x for me actually round 2 day 3. My calories burned according to the ft7 plyo was 556 and sholders and arms was 343 with ab ripper. These numbers seem awfully far away from the 600 the book states. Also 1 hour of bike riding neted me 570 calories ???? I also work my but off during the workouts any ideas why these #'s are so low ohh and just a lilttle more info my avg heart rate for plyo was 131 max was 155 im 37 male and weigh 155lbs. I know that P90X works from my last round i lost 30 lbs and got in really good shape and pretty cut. Im just wondering if it has lost some effectiveness and maybe i should move to another program ??

Damn this polar ft7

Replies

• robinp00
    robinp00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I generally burn in excess of 1,000 calories on plyo, but I think the difference is that our heart rates are in a completely different zone. I generally hit about 175 as my max, and I stay above 160, where I burn most of my calories, for roughly 20 mins out of the hour. It could just be that you are no longer getting a real challenge out of P90x and you should probably move on to a more extreme workout.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think the 600 number in the P90X guide is a bit distorted for most people. I did 3 rounds, and was in serious shape, and got similar numbers to yours.

PlyoX would get me 575-650 (and my HR was 85-90% max throughout)
    KenpoX--500ish
    Strength training 275 + another 100 for ab ripper

The key is to keep in mind that with strength training, you're building lean muscle mass which in the long run, is going to raise your overall caloric burn because muscle burns more calories/minute than the same amount of body fat.