How long do you bake an egg?

I put the egg (in shell) on the cookie tray and have placed it in the oven at 450 F. How long should it bake for? I am nervous about overcooking it.

Replies

• TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Alright, 450 F is too high. After 15 minutes, the outside started burning while the yoke had barely turned solid.

I think next time I will try 325 F.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Most people put them in the wells of a muffin tin and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, or so.
    But, boiling really is so much easier and quicker. Put the eggs in a pot. Pour in just enough cold water to cover the eggs. Put the pot on the stove and bring it to a boil. (This prevents the hot water from breaking the shells of cold eggs.) Once the pot comes to a boil, turn the heat off. Keep the eggs in the water for about 5 minutes for very soft eggs, and 7 minutes for hard boiled eggs that are still not too dry and over done.
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Most people put them in the wells of a muffin tin and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, or so.
    But, boiling really is so much easier and quicker. Put the eggs in a pot. Pour in just enough cold water to cover the eggs. Put the pot on the stove and bring it to a boil. (This prevents the hot water from breaking the shells of cold eggs.) Once the pot comes to a boil, turn the heat off. Keep the eggs in the water for about 5 minutes for very soft eggs, and 7 minutes for hard boiled eggs that are still not too dry and over done.

I expressly asked about baking. Boiling is a gimme. 30 minutes though? That sounds excessive. I'm going to do 325 at 15 and see how it shapes up.
  • bcchick33
    bcchick33 Posts: 40 Member
    if you have a veggie steamer, you can stick them in for about 12min. this will be make the yolk hard, but still bright yellow. 10 minutes, the yolk will be runny. 15minutes, completely hard and have the greyish tinge.
  • bcchick33
    bcchick33 Posts: 40 Member
    I have never done them in the shell in the oven, but i have made "ham cups"

Muffin tin,
    Slice of Black forest ham for each cup
    Crack an egg into the ham
    put a little pepper, green onion, paprika on top.

Put in 375 oven for 17 minutes. After 17 minutes, put a little grated cheese on top and put back in until it melts.

so.... i guess to answer your "baking" question aprox 20 min, 375, out of shell
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    I usually leave that to Rue... my ferret with 13 feet.
  • GiddyupTim
    You'll see. Fifteen minutes will not be enough.
    I think eggs in the shell are tricky, and I think they are tricky because they often are cold, from the fridge, when you start, but their temperature varies.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    I just keep the microwave turned on until the egg explodes, then scrape it onto my plate with a spatula.

Picking the bits of shell out of my teeth gets tedious though - maybe I should rethink this.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    I have never done them in the shell in the oven, but i have made "ham cups"

Muffin tin,
    Slice of Black forest ham for each cup
    Crack an egg into the ham
    put a little pepper, green onion, paprika on top.

Put in 375 oven for 17 minutes. After 17 minutes, put a little grated cheese on top and put back in until it melts.

so.... i guess to answer your "baking" question aprox 20 min, 375, out of shell

that's an ace idea!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    What difference does it make to the taste? Baking in the shell or boiling in water, I am curious?

It seems a very expensive way to cook an egg?
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    I put the eggs on the rack and then set the heat to 325 and the timer to 35min. As soon as the timer alarm sounds, I remove the eggs and quench them (put them in cold water) to stop any further cooking. Been doing it this way for years. Works every time. Someone mentioned putting them in muffin tins. That works too...I usually skip that option though since I don't want to get out or wash a muffin tin.
  • 3_is_enough
    3_is_enough Posts: 25
    I just keep the microwave turned on until the egg explodes, then scrape it onto my plate with a spatula.

Picking the bits of shell out of my teeth gets tedious though - maybe I should rethink this.

:laugh:
  • zapp1
    zapp1 Posts: 5

Nice, very time efficient, no peeling and such.
  • About 350
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    When I made Easter bread, I just put them in the braided loaf and baked the bread. The egg usually came out tough, not really good, but edible.
    Milk, eggs, and pork should never be cooked on high heat. The milk and eggs become difficult to digest, and the pork becomes tough.
    When I bake bread, there is always a pan with water on the bottom of the oven.

If you just want a cooked egg, try a poached egg. You boil the water, get the egg ready , stir the water in a swirl and drop the egg in the middle. Bring it back to a boil, but do not boil. Then you can poke the egg to test how well done you like it.
  • GiddyupTim
    I put the eggs on the rack and then set the heat to 325 and the timer to 35min. As soon as the timer alarm sounds, I remove the eggs and quench them (put them in cold water) to stop any further cooking. Been doing it this way for years. Works every time. Someone mentioned putting them in muffin tins. That works too...I usually skip that option though since I don't want to get out or wash a muffin tin.

See? 35 minutes, he says. Nah, Nah, Nah-Nah-Nah !
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member

she's such a handy pet to have...

or is that feety.....
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    I do this every week...turn oven on to 325 and put eggs in - don't preheat...30 minutes and into ice bath... i do it this way because I just cant take the smell of boiling eggs..but it works perfectly for me every single time...

ETA - I use a muffin tin...
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member

she's such a handy pet to have...

or is that feety.....

Perhaps both handy and feety... she is pretty amazing