Please argue benefits of lifting (v yoga) in my post :)

Options
brownvs
brownvs Posts: 40 Member
I'm a beginner to fitness all around, but always had good nutrition so never overweight.

As a result my muscles are approximately the same as a patient who's been in the ICU for 6 months without moving - nearly nonexistent muscles. I've been getting a lot of grief from one of my guy friends who keeps insisting lifting weights is superior to yoga. It's like every single day, I get a new "you should lift weights" from him. So by this point, I'm at least curious about the benefits and more than a little annoyed ;-).

However, I keep telling him that I more or less can't squat properly due to what might be the world's tightest hammies (can only go down an inch with heels touching the ground + back straight; maybe an additional 11 inches or so if I curve my back a bit). I think I could deadlift and maybe benchpress something small if I had someone helping me and didn't overdo it (somehow I've hurt myself EVERY time I go near those stupid weights :( )

I <3 yoga and it's given me tiny little "muscle lumps" that are not unattractive - also my hammies have stretched a tiny bit since starting and I haven't gotten hurt because I take it in a class setting (like lowest level yoga).

By the way, I'm not worried about bulking up and I am a woman ;-) haha.

Can you please push me over the edge and convince me to start weightlifting? Are there benefits to weightlifting that are > yoga? I'm just so intrigued what with all the drama.

Replies

• sean_d33
    sean_d33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Do both
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Please do both. The yoga gives you body weight strength and will help immensely with those tight hammies over time. The lifting will give you POWER and will shut up your friend.
  • brownvs
    Options
    But why? Won't yoga make me stronger too? :-/
  • brownvs
    Options
    To be clear, I'm asking why I would need weightlifting in ADDITION to yoga. I mean assuming yoga makes me stronger all on its own. Which it seems to have.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    you are telling us to convince you but really it sounds like you don't wanna do this...you're only trying to railroad yourself into it to shut him up...

yoga is cool...lifting is cool.

I LOVE lifting because it makes me feel strong, badass and I get to spend an hour and a half tooling around in the gym with my boyfriend. I've caught the bug from him and I am enjoying the changes in my body.

that being said...who said just doing yoga wasn't more than adequate if that is what you want to do?

just be healthy, that's all.

you have two options...

you can tell him to shut the hell up that you are happy with what you are doing and where you are.

or you can try it and see if you like it. you may catch the lovebug for it like i did....who knows?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There's no reason not to do both, really. I like feeling strong, and I like maintaining my muscle, that's why I lift. I know it's also good for bone density, which is something I worry about since I'm not getting any younger. If you have tight hammies, keep doing yoga and do air squats or squat variations. Sumo squats might help, for example. Just keep practicing, then you can add weights. As for other lifts, if you've hurt yourself every time, you may be starting too heavy or using in correct form. Start light and concentrate on going slowly with good form. Muscleandstrength.com has excellent videos showing proper forms of lots of lifts. once you've got form down, start adding weights and get to a point where you're fatigued in under 10 reps, then experiment there.

I love yoga for after a run or on days I'm feeling particularly sore or unmotivated. I'm always up for yoga. I also love lifting because it just makes me feel powerful, and, quite frankly, I'm fairly certain I owe my butt to heavy squats. ;)
  • jpierc
    jpierc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like weights. They are fun and challenging, and all in all, they give me what I want.

I have never tried yoga. I understand it is great for flexibility (which sounds like something you could benefit from) and that it does provide innumerable benefits to the mental well-being of the person.

As for arguing why you should take up weights, it all depends on what you want from your body. Weight-lifting gives you denser bones and stronger tendons and ligaments (ie less likely to suffer from injuries) in addition to the ability to do more things, from opening jar lids to tossing luggage into the overhead bin on an airplane or the physical capability to change a flat tire without needing a tow truck.

I am not attempting to be sexist, but I am trying to show how a little bit of weight-lifting can make everyday mishaps less daunting and somewhat less of an inconvenience.

I would not suggest you stop yoga. I actually would like to take it up myself, but I am completely ignorant of it other than what is available on the Nintendo Wii. However, adding weights to your current fitness routine, no matter what that routine is, is always a good idea.

Try it with a capable partner or trainer for a month and see if you don't notice a difference in what your body can do.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    No. You do the research and figure it out. Stop asking to be spoon fed or convinced. That's a seriously weak approach.

Edit: apologies if this seems harsh but there have been plenty of threads today arguing about lifting.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone above.

Question: what is/are your goals? Do whichever, or both, helps you achieve that.

Also, try a foam roller for the hammies.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    false dichotomy's are false.

DO BOTH.

Yoga is actually what I do in between sets.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Do both

they compliment each other perfectly

I wouldn't be able to squat properly if it wasn't for flexibility i obtained through yoga, and i wouldnt have the confidence to lift if it wasnt for being able to do some poses in yoga.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Do both

Yep.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Why not work up to the weight lifting by starting with bodyweight? There are many bodyweight routines that can get your muscles at least prepared to begin. You can also start real light....for instance bench press....start with 5lb dumbbell presses....squats, start with bodyweight, or with again, low weight dumbbells, or the bar only (bar is 45lbs usually, so that may be too much).

You get the drift.

When you say you can't squat properly, do this...get a large workout ball (or any large light ball, like the ones at walmart), and put it in the lower part of your back against the wall. Have something on either side to stabilize you, like a chair on each side or something you can use your arms in case you aren't stable enough and keeping your back straight, slowly squat rolling down the wall as far as you can.

Rinse-repeat about 10 times...each time try to get just a little lower (don't go crazy with it)...over a couple of weeks if you do that 3-5 times a week, you should be able to go down more than enough to do squats.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I do both. Lifting will make you strong and yoga will give you the ability to touch your toes with your nose. LOL.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Both. I do yoga once a week right now, but wish I could do it more, like 2-3 times. I also lift 3 times a week. I love lifting cuz it makes me feel like a beast. I just feel so awesome and strong after. Try it!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner to fitness all around, but always had good nutrition so never overweight.

As a result my muscles are approximately the same as a patient who's been in the ICU for 6 months without moving - nearly nonexistent muscles. I've been getting a lot of grief from one of my guy friends who keeps insisting lifting weights is superior to yoga. It's like every single day, I get a new "you should lift weights" from him. So by this point, I'm at least curious about the benefits and more than a little annoyed ;-).

However, I keep telling him that I more or less can't squat properly due to what might be the world's tightest hammies (can only go down an inch with heels touching the ground + back straight; maybe an additional 11 inches or so if I curve my back a bit). I think I could deadlift and maybe benchpress something small if I had someone helping me and didn't overdo it (somehow I've hurt myself EVERY time I go near those stupid weights :( )

I <3 yoga and it's given me tiny little "muscle lumps" that are not unattractive - also my hammies have stretched a tiny bit since starting and I haven't gotten hurt because I take it in a class setting (like lowest level yoga).

By the way, I'm not worried about bulking up and I am a woman ;-) haha.

Can you please push me over the edge and convince me to start weightlifting? Are there benefits to weightlifting that are > yoga? I'm just so intrigued what with all the drama.

There is no yes or no answer to this. Its what you want and like. I do both yoga and weight training and I run and do boot camp. All have different aspects that are great. Yoga just makes me feel yummy all over and stretches and warms the muscles, which is exceptionally nice the day after my trainer makes me to some 280 lb leg presses or something. The weight training I like a lot cause I can see the progress quicker and it helps with maintaining some of the poses in yoga, yoga takes a lot of freaking strength.

So do what you want, you could give it a try, if you dont like it, then stop... there is no one making you do anything... and tell you're friend, you will try weight training, if he goes to yoga with you... whats fair is fair right?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    To be clear, I'm asking why I would need weightlifting in ADDITION to yoga. I mean assuming yoga makes me stronger all on its own. Which it seems to have.

Because each works different muscle groups. And because you will gain strength faster with progressive lifting. Faster strength gains = faster changes in the body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You can't really argue lifting vs. yoga...it's apples and oranges. Are you going to see some strength improvement with yoga? Yes. Is it going to be equal to that of an actual strength program? Absolutely not, it's going to be very limited. Are you going to see some flexibility improvement with lifting? Yes. Is it going to be equal to that of regular yoga regimen? Absolutely not and it's going to be very limited.

Really, you should determine to have a well rounded fitness regimen that improves strength, cardiovascular health, endurance, flexibility, and balance...that's going to require doing more than one exercise activity.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I do both. I had taken a very long break from strength training and got to doing yoga and running. I've since kicked in gear with my strength training and it has dramatically improved my yoga, because I am a lot stronger.