Kid's Eatting

Options
I have 4 children the ages of 7,3,2 & 15 months . My oldest daughter (3) is going through a stage where she wont eat meat at all.. All she wants is fruits,vegetables,cheese and pickles she won't eat bread either. She's very active always running around and playing outside but is in the 99 % for her weight which puts her at obese.We've taking her to the dr and they are useless and she doesn't drink juice.Trying to figure out some meals we can do . We get paid on Monday and are going grocery shopping and doing a no processed food and want to cook everything from scratch . My oldest is getting to where he won't eat meats either

Replies

• cjpembo
    cjpembo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The best advice my pediatrician gave me was this: give your children access to healthy foods. Eventually they will eat it... as they will not starve themselves!

If only one of your children are obese; are they sneaking poor food choices when you're not looking? Not getting exercise like the others?

By the way: I'm a stay-at-home father of three little girls myself: 9, 7, 5.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Kids grow "out" before they grow "up" - in other words they put on weight in preparation for a growth spurt. My kids (all girls ages 12, 9, 5) did that. My girls each went through a phase where they didn't like to eat meat - my youngest is coming out of it now. It's a textural thing.

There are worse things she could be eating other than fruits, veggies, cheese and pickles - this sounds like a definite phase that will pass. Encourage her to make healthy choices in her eating and all will be well.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    what percentile is she in for height? My kid at that age was 100th for weight and 96th for height. She's never been obese or thin.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Are you worried about a protein deficiency? Will she eat eggs? When you say meat, do you mean all animal proteins, or beef specifically? I don't care for beef myself, it smells funny to me. Try her on chicken.

Maybe she's muscular? Do they do bf analyses on kids? Someone has to be at the top of those weight curves, or they wouldn't be curves, they'd be peaks.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If your kids will eat other healthy foods and protein sources, I don't see why it matters if they won't eat meat. You can make a whole grain pasta dish with cheese for her protein and some meat on the side or later added to a sauce for the meat eaters. Breakfast for dinner is a huge hit here. Make sure she drinks some milk, and see if you can get her to eat yogurt for snacks. It's great with fruit, so she might like it. Beans and green leafy vegetables are other good sources for protein. You might also want to see if it's taste or texture on meat.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about trends of not eating meat or what ever - kids tend to grow out of those and into other trends as their tastes develop.

You might find this website useful.

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/dont-disguise-improvise-5-ways-to-get-kids-to-eat-clean/
  • ProudMotherof4ProudWife2007
    Options
    I've tried to not let her go to grandparents as much either because all they give her is junk and i've asked them not to so she's become a mommy's girl.She's outside as much as the other kids and has recess at school.She wont eat eggs she wont eat anything lunch meat,chicken, beef,
    Options
    my oldest has a belly too but weight gain is side effect for his medicene.For them to have a snack at home is a treat and have cut down on snacking
  • ecc4912
    ecc4912 Posts: 9
    Options
    My 10 year old daughter rarely eats meat too. She's on the slender side though. The doc wants me to get her to gain weight, but hard when she's so picky. I can get her to eat trail mix (peanuts, raisins, M&Ms). She'll eat yogurt, string cheese, and hummus. Those are full of protein. She loves smoothie/shakes. I usually throw frozen bananas, milk, yogurt or whatever I have on hand in the blender. You can make smoothies with cottage cheese or peanut butter. As long as she gets protein somehow, I don't care. Good luck!
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The China study found that those who were complete vegetarian were the healthiest, lived the longest, and were disease free. So if children do not want to eat meat, let them have their choice.
    If one child is obese, that one may be sneaking junk food. Clean the junk out of the house. Let them snack on fruits and vegetables.
    When you make meals, let them choose or not choose what they want from what is on the table.
    Children are suppose to be naturally in touch with what their body needs, but we lose that when our instincts are bombarded by a steady diet of junk.
    I became extremely sensitive to wheat. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. A gift! No more bread, pasta, cookies, cakes--it just removed temptation. I always try to stay away from gluten free substitutes.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My 12 year old did not eat meat for a LONG time - actually he just started eating it this year - and still wont eat lunch meat etc - where my 10 year old used to be my non-picky eater, now he is picky about food choices - kids go in and out of stages with food choices, with weight/height etc

Like suggested find other good sources of protein that she likes - Peanut Butter, greek yogurt etc

and being only 3 she will grow out, then up, out then up -- Ive watched my kids do this so as long as healthy offerings at home she will be fine
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    beans combined with rice or corn have the full spectrum of essential amino acids between them, so bean tacos/tostadas or a bean and rice stew/casserole/soup substitutes reasonably well for "meat" (and shouldn't have any cholesterol).other than that, if they are eating "some" vegetables, I wouldn't worry. My kids always had the option of fixing themselves a peanut butter sandwich if they didn't like my menu offering. Since yours don't like bread either, at the moment, you may need to come up with some other "alternate menu". Also, if they didn't at least try everything (even if they ultimately spit it out in disgust), they didn't get dessert (not that I always had dessert).

I was heavy as a child. Slimmed down without trying at 18 or 19 and didn't have weight problems til my forties (and then just a few pounds a year creeping on - as I got more sedentary professionally, my eating style quit synergizing with my lifestyle). I wouldn't worry too much about their weight as long as they are staying active.
    Options
    Yea I'm worried about her not getting the protein and being a picky eater as it is. Then in my husband's side there are alot of disease's that run in his family and already have adult's nagging about her weight . She will be 4 in June and weighs 41 lbs compared to my scale . Rarely have cake or any of that stuff in our home it's mainly at grandma's..We do alot of walking we were at the zoo for 3 hrs yesterday and went walking for over a hr today then she plays soccer in the backyard with her brother and we've limited t.v. time
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    ohhh it sounds like the perfect age for that (sorry!)

First - my own child now 19 - she started that phase (and I do believe because of the age it is just a phase) of no meat..none nothing nadda! Fruits & veggies only for this kid oh and cheese haha. She did snack on junk (did not have any weight issues so junk was not an issue at the time) - then she went to No veggies phase! Would eat meat and fruit - no veggies AT ALL! This lasted longer than the no meat thing. Finally she came out of that and started trying different veggies. Even at 19 - she is just now trying different veggies and realizing she actually likes them!

Second - I am a home daycare provider I have a now 4 yr old whom I have had since she was 3 months old. She too went through this phase starting just before she was 3. Would touch an ounce of meat, nothing sticky (peanut butter), any pasta with anything on it / in it, ohh I could go on. She would only eat chicken nuggets, toast and macaroni and cheese.(no exaggeration that really is all she would eat!) - now almost 5 she is finally getting over some of it. She will eat some pasta - some meats (but only plain), pizza, PB sandwich (NO jelly), will eat most snacks so long as there is nothing sticky on it or in it, eggs and a few others. She has come a long way but still needs progress. She would go 10 hours without eating a thing!!! Imagine my concern!

At that age they do have phases of all sorts. So long as she is consuming something...I would not be concerned about the meat. If you can try to find other foods that provide protein for her. High protein veggies (spinach), Cottage cheese etc.

best of luck!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    How tall is she? My 4 year old is 33 pounds and is in the 24th percentile for weight (she turned 4 in February). But, she's also short, at 39 inches, which is 20th percentile or so. Is it that your daughter's BMI is in the 99th percentile? using height and weight? Because using LO's height & weight, she's 51st percentile, BMI wise. I guess it doesn't really matter if your doctor has talked to you about her weight being an issue.

There's no need to cut snacks, just make them healthier. You may also want to talk to grandma about treats and health concerns. I know that can be easier said than done, but it's a start.
    Options
    I can't remember how tall she is but bmi is in 99 % that they did at school. yes with my mil it's rough eveything is deep fried and its junk food usa over there. my husband has gastric bypass and he was listening to his dr and his mom is trying to shove all kinds of fatting food down his throat . That's what i meant when i said we've limited snacks (junk)
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    According to my mother's stories, I weighed 30 pounds at 10 months - so I was quite large and a very good eater. I probably was about 140-150 in HS (at 64 or 65 inches). In grade school and middle school, I biked everywhere - my territory covered a couple of counties (but I stayed heavy). At 18 or 19 I dropped down to 120 or so without trying - no idea why. I would only worry about a child's weight if it is due to poor food choices (excessive junk) and/or lack of activity. Are the relatives who mention her weight the same ones offering cake? If so, I could see some room for "discussion" (and putting my foot down) there.

Kids are often "notional" in what they'll eat. I can remember mine having periods where they'd only eat the whites of eggs and then doing a turnabout and only eating the yolks. The only "bad" thing you can do is push for "clean plates", as, in my opinion, that creates "guilt" for not overeating (what I call "clean plate syndrome") and sets one up for poor eating habits (making it a "sin" not to eat everything offered or throwing away food when you order or fix too much). Graham crackers or saltines might be an alternative for bread (any chance of celiac or gluten intolerance - it's possible she's not liking bread because it makes her feel "ill"?)

Make sure healthy choices are available. Cater to their appetites to some degree, if only by making available healthy food they can "fix for themselves" when they don't like what you've fixed (for a 3-4 YO, that might be pre-prepared items in the fridge - celery sticks with PB, yogurt, peeled hard boiled eggs (can't remember if eggs were "in" at the moment or not), string cheese, etc)
  • pepgab
    pepgab Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How tall is she? My son was in the 108th percentile for height and 99th percentile for weight. You could see his ribs and vertebrae, but on the BMI chart he was boarder line obese and he was skin and bones because he was so tall. The doctor mentioned the BMI scale but told me to ignore it. I was mad because if did not matter why bring it up. He would get a pudgy belly and hen shoot up. Good luck
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    I find the best way to get my three year old to eat his dinner is to involve him someway in it's preparation. I cook pretty much every thing fresh, and I take him food shopping with me most of the time. We talk about the food we're putting in our trolley and I'll talk about what we would cook with the ingredients.
    I sometimes give him the choice of what side we have with our meals and around once a week he'll get to choose a meal that I cook, I'll guide him with his choice ('just sausages' is no good) and we usually end up with a well rounded meal that he is super chuffed with because he got to choose it.
    I also let him help cook, mix up the ingredients and stuff or shake in some herbs. Today he helped mix up the dressing for our salad and ate a good portion.

I've only got one though not four, which makes all of the above a hell of a lot easier!

I sometimes make salmon (PINK fish!), cod or chicken breaded fingers, Maybe you could pre-cut some meat into small cubes and get her involved in the breading, bake them in the oven and serve with something dippy (that you could also make together). The crunch of the breadcrumbs and taste of the dip might disguise it enough for her to eat some.

Another thing I do is that if he says I'm finished and there is still quite a bit on the plate I'll say that because you are three years old you have to have three more forkfuls of food before you can get down from the table.
    Options
    Yea my fil tries to the push the your not getting up till your done but we dont do that at home and try to get them to at least eat so many bites.Her and the 7 yr old like to help me in the kitchen also and usually always have her when we go shopping and try to let her get a few things like she loves yogurt and cheese and always wants bananna's