Now my workouts are dissapointing:(

Options
I got an hrm and it completely makes me feel like i'm doing nothing when i work out. I should thank it though, for showing me my true calorie burn....but I only burnt 85 cals doing 12 minutes of the elliptical, and mfp calculated 255 cals burned. So, perhaps this is the reason I have not been losing weight because mfp way over calculated my cals burnt? I have a sportline hrm that I just bought yesterday, so im hoping its not something wrong with the hrm. Does anyone else have this brand?

Replies

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar but I am sure they are similar. I always go by what my Polar says and not the machine or MFP.

when you are on the eliptical next time do 1 minute going super spring fast, 1 minute slow do that for 15 minutes and tell me how many calories you burn. it should be significantly different than your 85cal reading.
  • Robin_Anne
    Robin_Anne Posts: 54
    Options
    Wow. That's good to know. I don't have a heart rate monitor but maybe I should get one.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin, and i burn WAY more then mfp was saying. The only trouble is, i can only use it outside because the GPS doesn't track indoors (unless I wear my chest strap, but it's to small right now)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do you have a sportline with or without the strap? If it's without, then it's no better then MFP or the machine.

All though 85 calories for 12 minutes on the elliptical sounds about right depending on age, weight, height and current weight.
  • be_runner
    be_runner Posts: 20
    Options
    Workouts are about to get awesome once you have a clear number and start losing! If elliptical is your exercise of choice try upping the resistance. That'll help get your heart rate up!

I love my polar f4. It gives me an accurate burn for my runs and when my heart rate is really high gives me the "permission" to slow down.
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That MFP estimate is just kinda ridiculous - I always use that average baseline that running a mile is about 100 cals for most people. 12 minutes on an elliptical is not going to be equivalent to a 2.5 mile run. Readjust your thinking and keep moving :)
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    no my bust is waaaaaay to big for a chest strap im sure....im like a 53 inch bust right now, but I figure undercalculating my cals is better than over calculating. the one min fast one min slow is a good idea, I just really need to build my stamina up because im not sure if I could even do a fast minute lol
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The chest strap goes under the girls - not over...

85 cals in 12 minutes is 425cals/hour - that's a good number. I can't understand the 255 that mfp gave you, that doesn't seem reasonable for 12 minutes. Keep at it, I just got hrm (the polar f4) and find it pretty motivating
  • Robin_Anne
    Robin_Anne Posts: 54
    Options
    Where do you buy those heart rate chest straps?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    255 in 12? Nobody burns 21 calories a minute, so don't worry too much about it. =)
  • srrose15
    srrose15 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You burn more calories when you do interval training than straight cardio - you need to do sets of 1 min at the highest rate you can go then slow it down for a min or 2 - great way to burn fat
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Definitely always use a HRM. Machines (especially elliptical, for some reason) are notorious for over-estimating caloric burn.
    Also, pay 0 attention to the "Fat-burning" zone, which is BS, and utilize intervals. Go hard for a minute or even 30 seconds, recover at a slower pace, repeat, etc. Make your workouts count and you don't have to spend as much time. I just burned 160 cal in about 12.5 min. Kicked my *kitten* but it'd done now and there's quite an afterburn as well.
    Enjoy the HRM! They are great....and accurate! :)
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM Polar ft4. I tell people all the time, especially if they eat back their exercise calories, to get a hrm. Some things MFP over or under estimates on my burns. It also make me realize when im not busting my *kitten* enough and keeps me in check.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    no my bust is waaaaaay to big for a chest strap im sure....im like a 53 inch bust right now, but I figure undercalculating my cals is better than over calculating. the one min fast one min slow is a good idea, I just really need to build my stamina up because im not sure if I could even do a fast minute lol

So I'm assuming then that no, you don't have a chest strap HRM, which means it's crap.

As someone else pointed out, chest straps go under the girls around your rib cage and stretch to fit that area.

I suggest you return this one and buy one with a chest strap for the most accurate calorie estimation.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options

lol your heart doesn't beat in your boobs ;) it goes under your boobs. Chest straps are always a good idea for a more accurate burn!
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The chest straps come with the HRM.. Kinda like a team :)