TDEE method...does it work?

Options

Replies

• TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    I did TDEE - 20% for 2 weeks and gained 1lb. I'm not a believer.
  • LouiseDavis65
    LouiseDavis65 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can definitely set up a custom calorie goal on here!

I don't have a fitbit (I think it's an arm band type thing -you could google it!) - from what I've heard they help, but I don't think they are necessary.

Go to any of the links that have been posted - they will have instructions on how to figure out your TDEE.

Weight loss is a personal thing - no one can guarantee how quickly the weight will come off. Be diligent, and patient, and you will see it work for you! I've never heard of the protein/carb thing before.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Then you didn't do it long enough. It takes the body longer than 2 weeks to adjust. Sorry.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    it totally works for me! I have reached my goal weight and I eat between 1800 and 2000 calories a day

You could buy a fitbit for fun, but no, you don't need a fitbit. I have one at home that just sits in a drawer.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have been reading about this TDEE method of calculating calories. I just learned about it from my personal trainer who I like but I never like to take diet advice from a personal trainer because I have had bad luck with that in the past. Is it a load of crap or does it really work? I try to eat at 1500 calories a day but I am just too hungry. I need to lose 70-80 lbs.

Technically, the "TDEE method" as you call it is how most people have lost weight in the past before muddying up the waters...just eat less than your total calorie needs for the day, and you lose weight. That's all there is to it.

I screwed up my metabolism by undereating for years. I was eating between 1200-1500 calories a day depending on whatever stupid diet I tried. Recently, I went back to what I knew worked and wouldn't starve me. My TDEE is around 2200, and I've been taking out 15-20% and eating that much while still doing my same exercise routines. That means I have been averaging 1800 calories a day. And I feel soooo much better. I have more energy, I am stronger, and I am losing body fat consistently. At first, though, the scale was playing tricks on me. But I chose to ignore it since my clothes were getting looser. I am now wearing size 6, sometimes a size 4, and yet I weigh the same as I did when I was a size 8. The scale doesn't mean much to me when I am losing body fat every week consistently and I look smaller and leaner!!!

Most people who say this method didn't work either didn't give it enough time to work (meaning they were probably either too impatient and quit after 1 month or less, or they didn't tweak anything to find their own personal sweet spot since the calculator is probably never 100% accurate and you need to adjust things accordingly) or they have damaged their metabolisms by too much exercise and not enough eating over the past few months to years. This can and does happen, and when you start eating a smaller percentage under your TDEE, you need to slowly increase your calories over time, not just jump from 1200 up to 1800 overnight or something.
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i just started doing it and i lost 2lbs in the first week by eating 500 calories more on a daily basis than i was. i'm going to stick with it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I use it. I actually set MFP to my maintenance calories and then I aim for 250 calories under. That's a small cut from my TDEE because I'm not interested in losing a lot more weight, I'm just trying to lower my body fat a bit. I wouldn't worry about macros by meal. Instead worry about macros for the whole day. For someone who is working out, 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass is recommended, and .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and then the rest can be carbs. For me that's 98 grams of protein, 48 grams of fat, about 220 grams of carbs per day.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me, even with an underestimated activity level (I have a Fitbit One and know that I'm at least lightly active every day, so I've tried it there and at sedentary.) I maintain at TDEE -20%, and I weigh and measure absolutely everything and track calories extremely carefully. I may have ruined my metabolism with too many years of disordered eating (heavy restriction alternated with binge/purge mostly), though, as the vast majority of posters here seem to be very successful with the method.
    No, you don't maintain at TDEE -20%. You maintain at your actual TDEE. That's the definition of TDEE.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Then you didn't do it long enough. It takes the body longer than 2 weeks to adjust. Sorry.

This is true. OP you want to give it at least a month if you try it. You'll gain a couple of pounds while your body adjusts.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me, even with an underestimated activity level (I have a Fitbit One and know that I'm at least lightly active every day, so I've tried it there and at sedentary.) I maintain at TDEE -20%, and I weigh and measure absolutely everything and track calories extremely carefully. I may have ruined my metabolism with too many years of disordered eating (heavy restriction alternated with binge/purge mostly), though, as the vast majority of posters here seem to be very successful with the method.
    No, you don't maintain at TDEE -20%. You maintain at your actual TDEE. That's the definition of TDEE.

Exactly what I was going to say. TDEE isn't a number a calculator spits out for you -- it is your maintenance calorie level. Eat less than that and you will lose weight.

The reason TDEE-20% works for so many people is that is gives you a smaller deficit than MFP tends to give people. So it's an easier deficit to maintain and it takes longer to plateau. There's nothing really magic or complicated about it, just figure out your TDEE/maintenance level (calculation, then trial and error) and eat a little less than that.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand if this work so well, why is weightwatchers and all these other diets using the same 1200 calorie thing.....is it something new?

Unless WW has changed in a major way since I was a member, they do hide TDEE-20% in their figuring of how many "points" you are allocated -- the heavier you are, the more points you are allocated. You can also earn "bonus points" through exercising.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    ate 1670 once I became sedentary.. stopped losing weight... ate 2100.. lost 2 lbs. Hmm.
  • smartin0181
    smartin0181 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes it works! I think that people use 1200 is a starting point. In the beginning your body doesn't have much muscle and is not used to working out, and you have been eating lots of calories. Then as you get closer to your goal weight your body needs the calories to keep losing, and keep its muscle. That is when I switched to the tdee method. Also, don't eat your calories back!
  • likerebecca
    likerebecca Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2253.. so TDEE-20% = 1802. I'm currently eating between 1450-1550 a day.. MFP sets my goal at 1640.. I'm consistently losing 1.5-2 pounds a week. So does the TDEE method tell me that if I eat another 300 calories a day I will lose MORE?? Hmmm.. Doesn't sound too healthy to me. And I know I'm too scared to try..
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Of course it does, it's based on Thermodynamics
  • trogalicious
    Options
    My TDEE is 2253.. so TDEE-20% = 1802. I'm currently eating between 1450-1550 a day.. MFP sets my goal at 1640.. I'm consistently losing 1.5-2 pounds a week. So does the TDEE method tell me that if I eat another 300 calories a day I will lose MORE?? Hmmm.. Doesn't sound too healthy to me. And I know I'm too scared to try..

who said you would lose more than the 1.5-2lbs than you're already losing?
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Where the hell did you get the idea that it would lead you to losing more? Nowhere does that type of statement get made.

the "TDEE method" is just a formula to calculate a caloric intake, it is not based on getting a specific # of lbs/wk of expected wt. loss.

You're losing 1.5-2lbs/wk which is pretty much bang on to what you'd expect to lose based on your expected deficit of around 750 ish cals/day. So why would you even want to be changing something that is working?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was going to say. TDEE isn't a number a calculator spits out for you -- it is your maintenance calorie level. Eat less than that and you will lose weight.

The reason TDEE-20% works for so many people is that is gives you a smaller deficit than MFP tends to give people. So it's an easier deficit to maintain and it takes longer to plateau. There's nothing really magic or complicated about it, just figure out your TDEE/maintenance level (calculation, then trial and error) and eat a little less than that.

I understand what it means; I guess I should be more clear to the pedantically inclined. When I eat at what SHOULD be my TDEE -20%, I still maintain and don't lose, even if I underestimate my activity level and claim to be sedentary (which I am not- I'm a bartender, run 5k three times per week, and walk about 13 000 steps on an average day according to my fitbit.) Like I said, I might have just screwed up my metabolism, but I'm proof it doesn't work for everyone.
  • trogalicious
    Options

I understand what it means; I guess I should be more clear to the pedantically inclined. When I eat at what SHOULD be my TDEE -20%, I still maintain and don't lose, even if I underestimate my activity level and claim to be sedentary (which I am not- I'm a bartender, run 5k three times per week, and walk about 13 000 steps on an average day according to my fitbit.) Like I said, I might have just screwed up my metabolism, but I'm proof it doesn't work for everyone.
    no, you're proof that reading is entirely too difficult sometimes.

if you're eating at what you THINK your tdee -20% is, and you aren't losing... you're actually eating at TDEE.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It's really no different to MFP.

With TDEE method your exercise is included, with MFP you are given a baseline calorie allowance you are then suppose to add in your exercise and eat those calories back also.

They work out pretty much the same if you follow MFP as you should.