Working Moms trying to find time to do it all

Options
I am a mom of 4 kids ages 11, 9, 3, and 8 months. I am wanting to lose the last 20 pounds and also maintain it and keep a healthy lifestyle. It is hard because I work full time and my husband also works but a totally different shift so I am home alone 4 nights a week with the kids to feed, give baths, and run them to their activities outside the house - not to mention homework. I am a very scheduled person but sometimes I feel like all I do is wake up, work, come home, put dinner on the table, workout, run kids, and then get them into bed. I have tried to wake up early to work out but going to be at 11pm and waking up at 5AM I can't see waking up an earlier. Anyone else having this problem? Maybe we can help each other out.

Replies

• MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have two children, but I work full time and am a single mom. I commit my lunch break to the gym all week, and sometimes I'll have a sitter come watch them on the weekends for an hour so I can get a decent run in. I would suggest finding access to a gym in your area and utilizing your lunch hour for your workout, or find a club that has a daycare for the kids and you can all go after dinner? I agree with the daily routine, it never stops!
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Like the OP my wife and I work alternative schedules from one another. For me I have a gym by work, a gym by the house, and I just bought but havent used insanity. I just do what I can in terms of exercise, I just try and eat better. Though this is only month 1
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wow fair play to you for doing it all.

I know how hard it is but I don't have it as hard. I have twin boys who are 5 now so its getting easier to find time to workout. I hate that I have to do it in the evenings too as this is my time to relax and the evenings I don't workout I am busy prepping dinner for the following day.

There is no way you can wake up earlier to workout 5 you are getting little enough sleep as it is as sleep is just as important to good weight/weight loss as working out is.

Lets hope we can support each other in this effort.

Well done.
  • lflo81
    lflo81 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes! On the same boat. Is there a day where both you and your husband are home where you can take some time to plan and make some meals for the week? This week has been bad for me but it's because I didn't take my Sunday to plan my lunches and family meals. If I can make some of my meals or do prep work for meals on Sunday, I will. That way come time, I can just put the meals in the crockpot, oven or microwave. That time that is saved during the week can be used for workout time. Best of luck, it's hard being full time employee and have all the mom duties but you can do it!
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Totally feeling you. I am a F/T working mom of a 14 and 10 year old who are both actively involved in activities outside of school/home. We are always running to one thing or another. My husband also works nights and is also in the National Guard so gone at least one weekend a month. I cannot get to a gym no matter who hard I try so I try my best with home workouts or taking the kids and doing long walks. But remember, the best we can do is watch what we eat since you can't workout a bad diet.

Hang in there and we will get there, though maybe more slowly than some
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mom, but between 3 kids, working full time & being a part time e.e. student. I understand time restraints.

Missy made some great suggestions: Lunch hours are a fantastic way to get a workout in. Some other things that I have had success with (especially with summer here) are:
    Look into workouts that utilize body weight. I can do these anywhere. & I have been know to take the kids to the park and instead of plopping my tail on a bench-I work out for 15-20 min.
    There are also park routines that use park equipment. Look on fitbie or spark people
    Look for local parks that have trails-hiking is a fantastic cardio exercise. Put a 2 yr old on your back and you have a weighted glute/core exercise
    Give the local YMCA a call-most have childrens fitness classes. & once again free ACTIVITY based child care & I can go swim laps.

@ least 3x a week I get up an workout before the kids are up. When I started it was HARD, so there were alot of 10 pushups, 10 squats, 10 lunges. But I just made a morning workout a MUST.

Hope it helps.

U CAN DO THIS!!!
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes! On the same boat. Is there a day where both you and your husband are home where you can take some time to plan and make some meals for the week? This week has been bad for me but it's because I didn't take my Sunday to plan my lunches and family meals. If I can make some of my meals or do prep work for meals on Sunday, I will. That way come time, I can just put the meals in the crockpot, oven or microwave. That time that is saved during the week can be used for workout time. Best of luck, it's hard being full time employee and have all the mom duties but you can do it!

I need to do this more! I pack lunches for the week and make my snacks, but stop short of prepping dinners.
  • srrose15
    srrose15 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Yes I shop for groceries on Friday night and I prep all the food for the week on Sundays - that is all lunches and dinners - it takes me usually 3 to 4 hours to prep everything but at least it is done - and there is no way I could make it to a gym my lunch time at work is only 30 mins and taking 4 kids to a gym for daycare would take so much time 15 min drive to 1 hour workout 15 min home
    Right now I am in the middle of doing Insanity - loving it but next week I go to the 55 min workouts and it is hard enough finding the time for 45 mins - anyway just wanted to see if others were having the same issue - working hard at eating clean and cut all gluten from my diet as well
  • sarahann513
    sarahann513 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't work outside the home, but I do have my own business. I have a new baby and it can be hard to get everything done when you keep getting interrupted. My best advice is to maybe take an hour at home, if you have the kids- plan something to occupy them for that hour that way you can get your workout in... even if it's at 8 at night.