Obesity and poverty...

Options

Replies

• TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    As someone who grew up damn poor but managed to claw my way out, get some schooling and now live a semi-middle class life, eating clean was the last thing on my mind and the minds of my parents. Maybe I'm wrong but our family drama was out there for the world to see - alcoholism, mental illness, unstable home and work life (for my parents). Growing up in a small town - you knew who had the issues with booze, craziness and drugs. It never seemed that the middle class families had these issues or hid it pretty well.

I read that a Kentucky (?) lawmaker wanted to tie academic performance of kids whose families receive aid - if the kid failed or underperformed, the family would lose their food stamps. I totally see that working.... :grumble: A kid who is already stressed and likely struggling with school due to lacking resources is now responsible for keeping the family's hunger at bay. No pressure there.

Yeah yeah, I heard this shtick on The Daily Show.

Your solution is to change nothing. Great plan.
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    georgiafat.jpg
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    georgiafat.jpg

I have a hard time reading this as anything other than fat shaming for kids.
  • ladydj0
    ladydj0 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well said :flowerforyou: My mother was and has always been thin. We ate the same foods and she even fixed my plate for me but I was a FAT kid. When my kids were little I asked the department of health what I should feed my child after the baby food stage. Big mistake in their answer to me, "Whatever you eat"!!!!!!!!!!!! I was eating hamburger helper for dinner with no veggies and out to eat stuff because up to that point we both worked and didn't know how to cook. My children are teens and sadly overweight. We exercise together and try to eat right but when we get busy with life we hit the drive thru. The cost of fruits and veggies are very high and so is lean meat! We don't eat many processed foods when cooking at home. I'm still trying to learn and help my kids. When I was sixteen I went on a starvation diet and got down to a size zero but that wasn't healthy and I didn't learn a thing about nutrition. The smallest I've been since giving birth to my second child is size 16. I would love to see everyone in our household back in the 100's. I want to make sure my kids know more than I did when they get out on their own. I've lost the same 40 lbs so many times I've stopped counting. My big debate now is to have bread or not? I'm trying to learn how to eat right not just lose the weight because it just comes right back when you start back on the breads and pasta. My hubby is a diabetic so we CAN'T cut out carbs for his sake. Also my doctor said adkins is very hard on the heart. Okay I'm finished with my book here except to say that the parents of obese children did not want things to turn out that way. Also buying in bulk around obese children is not a smart idea because they have no brakes when it comes to hunger. We can only shop 1-3 days in advance max which is another reason we often hit the drive thru if we get busy because if I buy a bunch they will get up and eat at night. :(
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    georgiafat.jpg

I saw it as fat shaming PARENTS.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options
    georgiafat.jpg

The parents aren't pictured, though, and multiple posts in this thread and others (not necessarily those by TheWiseCat) talk about personal responsibility for weight beginning before adulthood. So, from my perspective, it's telling the kids it's their fault their fat, and shaming/scaring them to make a change.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    georgiafat.jpg

Me too.
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think there are many factors but nutrition education and fiscal responsibility are key.

I have a friend with one child who receives $500/mos in stamps. I am not sure how nor do I want to know. She buys nothing but Little Debbie cakes, soda, and lunch-able type items. She has more than enough to buy healthy foods.

I live on $25 a week for groceries and do fine. That is a 52 week average as I buy in bulk and freeze what I can to preserve. This also includes my splurges for the random pizza or chickfila. I made a budget of what I could afford and found a way (coupons, Sam's membership, BOGO sales, etc.) to reach that goal.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I recently went to a talk about food security. Basically, it talked about the ability of people living at or below the poverty level, and their ability to feed themselves and their families. Basically what it came down to is this: if a single mother with two kids is on income assistance, she receives $1124 a month.

Now by my calculations:

Monthly income: $1124
    Rent: $ 700
    Basic telephone/cable: $ 65
    Electricity: $ 40
    Bus passes $ 122

So that leaves Mom with $197 a month to feed herself and her two kids. That's $49.25 a week, or $7.04 a day.

Where I live, 4 liters of milk costs $7.49. A 2 liter of pop is $1.49. A loaf of bread costs $2.29. A box of Kraft dinner is $1.09.

In this lecture, they talked about the "basic food basket" which is the food that one would need to buy to follow Canada's food guide for healthy eating. The cost in our community to meet those basic requirements was over $80/week for this hypothetical mother and her two kids.

If a parent is trying to feed herself and her kids on less than $50 a week, of course they are going to eat a lot of boxed meals.

Another issue addressed was the fact that in the cycle of poverty, a lot of times parents just don't know or have the skills to prepare healthful meals, so even though you might be able to cook a healthy stew for $15 that would feed them for three days, Mom might not have the skills or the tools available.

So my point, after this rather long post, is that I do agree, poverty certainly plays a role.

If she's on welfare, she's getting rental assistance, heating assistance, a free cell phone (cable isn't a need), and if she NEEDS it for education/training, a bus pass (otherwise it's not a "need.") She's also getting SNAP (food stamps) which should be around $300 per month, more in some states.

The real key is to stop allowing Food Stamps to be used for junk. They should be used for what they were originally intended for, supplementing a food budget to allow for the poor to put fresh fruit and vegetables and lean meats on the table. The purchase of junk food should be specifically excluded for food stamps.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options
    I recently went to a talk about food security. Basically, it talked about the ability of people living at or below the poverty level, and their ability to feed themselves and their families. Basically what it came down to is this: if a single mother with two kids is on income assistance, she receives $1124 a month.

Now by my calculations:

Monthly income: $1124
    Rent: $ 700
    Basic telephone/cable: $ 65
    Electricity: $ 40
    Bus passes $ 122

So that leaves Mom with $197 a month to feed herself and her two kids. That's $49.25 a week, or $7.04 a day.

Where I live, 4 liters of milk costs $7.49. A 2 liter of pop is $1.49. A loaf of bread costs $2.29. A box of Kraft dinner is $1.09.

In this lecture, they talked about the "basic food basket" which is the food that one would need to buy to follow Canada's food guide for healthy eating. The cost in our community to meet those basic requirements was over $80/week for this hypothetical mother and her two kids.

If a parent is trying to feed herself and her kids on less than $50 a week, of course they are going to eat a lot of boxed meals.

Another issue addressed was the fact that in the cycle of poverty, a lot of times parents just don't know or have the skills to prepare healthful meals, so even though you might be able to cook a healthy stew for $15 that would feed them for three days, Mom might not have the skills or the tools available.

So my point, after this rather long post, is that I do agree, poverty certainly plays a role.

If she's on welfare, she's getting rental assistance, heating assistance, a free cell phone (cable isn't a need), and if she NEEDS it for education/training, a bus pass (otherwise it's not a "need.") She's also getting SNAP (food stamps) which should be around $300 per month, more in some states.
    Getting one form of assistance in no way assures that you'll get another form of assistance. It is entirely possible to be on welfare or disability and turned down for all the other programs.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Getting one form of assistance in no way assures that you'll get another form of assistance. It is entirely possible to be on welfare or disability and turned down for all the other programs.

Anyone getting cash welfare is automatically getting all of those others except possible Section 8. They are also getting medicaid. That's a given.

Welfare and SSDI/SSI are not the same thing.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options

Anyone getting cash welfare is automatically getting all of those others except possible Section 8. They are also getting medicaid. That's a given.

Welfare and SSDI/SSI are not the same thing.
    Personal experiences to the contrary, this is off topic regarding obesity, so I'll drop it.
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Let's just blame society and get back to the fun of working out. ;-)
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Well, let's hope that it's not too presumptuous to say, if you cannot afford a car or a care-giver, McDonald's would probably be out of the budget also. Continue picking it apart any how you like. What I said is, to paraphrase, it is more cost efficient to buy the groceries to make a hamburger and fries at home than it is to feed a family at McDonald's. I stand by that because it is the truth. If you or someone you know is in such dire straits as you have whittled it down to, then there are programs out there to assist you (or them) in your (or their) time of need.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Since most Medicaid laws are state laws, this will vary state to state. In many states, it's very hard to get a Welfare check (assuming that's what you mean by "cash") these days. You can get SNAP for food, clothing vouchers for back-to-school clothes, rent vouchers, assistance with utilities, but most states have pretty strict restrictions on just handing out money to spent as you like, if they offer it at all.

So, if you meet those strict criteria for a check, it is likely you'll also meet the criteria for other state assistance. But not necessarily vice versa.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    As someone who actually came from a poverty-stricken background, allow me to shed a little light on a lot of people's situation. I'm not going to give my opinion on the topic itself, just some information for other people to consider before they do. If you haven't been horribly poor you really do not have any idea of how to guess what you'd do in the situation.

1) Sometimes your family has no way to get to a grocery store often, so you shop at what's nearby, usually at convenience stores. Most convenience stores do not sell fruits and vegetables, only non-perishable items. Sometimes the nearest grocery store sucks, and you can't afford any better.

1.5) When you have little money, you want your food to feed many mouths and/or last a long time. With most perishables being at a week or so, the incentive to buy is very low.

2) Sometimes there is literally no yard or even a patio/balcony. You are apartment 15F in a 20-story building full of people just like you. No one is doing any gardening.

2.5) No grocery store owner in is right mind wants to open a grocery store in your neighborhood because he doesn't want to be robbed, or have people steal his merchandise.

3) Your live with your mother who works 2 jobs.

4) Your dad pays no child support and doesn't pick you up to have dinner or go to the park for a run.

5) When your mom wants to make you smile, she buys you candy and "treats". The neighbors give you candy and treats, too, because you and your friends are good kids, and candy is cheap.

6) You're not taught nutrition in school. You go to a school that sucks because it gets almost no funding because the students do poorly on their tests, and your teacher spends half the day disciplining other students. He or she spends one third of the school year preparing you for standardized tests that most students will fail.

6.5) Schools themselves are serving students things that are not healthful. Pizza (recently deemed a vegetable in the US, by the way) tater tots, and brown meat served with instant potatoes isn't setting the best example.

7) People in poverty usually have very little education. Don't assume they should know they need to eat healthier.

8) They are raised to keep hunger away (just as our public school food system continues to model), not to be nutritionally balanced. Think of comfort foods, and remember why they bring comfort. They're filling and swimming in salt and butter or grease, and they make you feel good.

9) Your brain associates hunger with stress. Your mom can't afford to buy a better car, a couch that has all 4 legs and no rips in it, a coffee maker to replace her old one, but she will be damned if she can't feed you and you have to feel what she felt when she was a hungry little kid living just like you do now.

Thank you for bringing some humanity into this thread.

And, as well as some humanity, some actual experience with the condition that most of us, mercifully, have never experienced.
  • blibby33
    blibby33 Posts: 53
    Options
    bump
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    As someone who grew up damn poor but managed to claw my way out, get some schooling and now live a semi-middle class life, eating clean was the last thing on my mind and the minds of my parents. Maybe I'm wrong but our family drama was out there for the world to see - alcoholism, mental illness, unstable home and work life (for my parents). Growing up in a small town - you knew who had the issues with booze, craziness and drugs. It never seemed that the middle class families had these issues or hid it pretty well.

I read that a Kentucky (?) lawmaker wanted to tie academic performance of kids whose families receive aid - if the kid failed or underperformed, the family would lose their food stamps. I totally see that working.... :grumble: A kid who is already stressed and likely struggling with school due to lacking resources is now responsible for keeping the family's hunger at bay. No pressure there.

Something I recently read (You: On a Diet by Dr. Oz): Chronic stress causes chronic carb craving. Sugar and refined carbs can also be a way of coping with the chronic stress of poverty.
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time understanding why people think it costs so much more to eat healthier food. Since my husband and I started eating healthier in January of this year, I've cut my grocery bill by about $100 every 2 weeks, so $50/week. I buy fresh veggies and fruit, lean, good quality meat, whole grain bread and low fat dairy. I shop at Aldi, Sam's Club and Albertson's. I do not use coupons very often. I quit buying as many snacks and sodas. We still eat everything we want, just less of it. Our farmer's markets are expensive, but I will buy things there, just because they are local, fresher and better tasting. I am feeding 2 thirtysomethings, a 79 year old, a 16 year old boy that plays sports, and a 10 year old girl. That is EVERY day. Some days I have at least one more teen and one more pre-teen. So why are people spending so much more money? I'm genuinely curious.
  • fightingthefood
    Options
    As a father of four I often feel like all I do is spend my money at the grocery store and yes healthy food can be more exspensive. On the other hand I own a business that puts me in the homes on a daily basis of families that are on rental assistance/snap food benefits and medicaid. As a pest control operator I go thru the cabinets/closets and everywhere else in these homes and yes I do see that all they are eating are noodles, snack cakes, and soda. I also see the healthy food that they get through the WIC ( women infant and child) program that is stacked up in the shelves untill I throw it out because it has been there so long the bugs have moved into it. The milk they get with these benefits is used to pour over sugar filled cereal while the healthy cereal sits and gets infested with bugs. I also notice that with very few exceptions these homes also have the latest flat screen tvs/stereos and newest cell phones not to meantion cable or sat. tv and internet services. The parents also seem to have all the brand name clothing and latest hair and fingernail fashions out there while the kids are dressed in thrift shop clothing. So you would have a hard time making me believe that better diets because of lack of money is most of the problem. I always have someone trying to sale me their foodstamp benefits for .50 cents on the dollar. you are right that it is the kids who are hurting but with little or no accountability in the programs they will always be on the losing end.