Gong nowhere fast!!!

Options
Ok,so I've been at 164lbs +-2 for about 3 months!!! Currently eating clean with a deficit of around 500 (if my TDEE is correct) lifting heavy a full body routine 3x week and hiit 2x week, weekends off and cheat day on saturday! 160g protein daily!
Where am I going wrong???
From what I've read I'm doing everything right but the scales aren't moving and my body doesn't seem to be changing to the eye? I don't particularly feel that much stronger (maybe a little) but muscles feel firmer. I want to shed my body fat in 8 weeks to get down to around 14% (currently 18-20%)
I've played around with calories up and down too but nothing changes!
Please help
Kev

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'd stop the cheat days

if you trying to loose fat do some cardo

I do cardo and weight I not weight loss will be slow, as I want to build up some

eat more veg

lower carb, don't cut the out

watch your sodium

drink 8 glasses+ a day

get good amount of sleep each evening

lower any booze you are drinking

weight and measure all foods

measure yourself

if your interested in seeing what i do message me

anyone can add me
  • wattsy84
    wattsy84 Posts: 123
    Options
    I drink 2 litres water a day sometimes more
    My cardio is hiit on exercise bike and 90 minutes of football on Saturdays (also my cheat day so cancel each other out)
    I eat fruit and veg
    Drink no more than 4-8 cans (light) beer over 7 days sometimes less
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you log cheat days and 'weekends off'?
  • wattsy84
    Options
    I don't usually have weekends off just cheat day on sat where I prob go over by 1000 cals maybe more but I burn about the same p,sting football that day! Should I try to cut out the cheat days completely?
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    you look pretty good in your pic, perhaps you're at a good weight for you?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    When you're lifting, are the weights getting heavier? Are you showing improvements that way?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Instead of cheat " days" I'd have a cheat " meal" if you really must have it.
  • wattsy84
    Options
    I was lifting heavier after a week or so! I'm not sure if I should change my routine or stop the cheat days or stop the beer completely? I went the whole of January without beer for cancer research uk and lost 14lbs along with good diet, maybe I should try that again? Does your body get to an ideal weight then stop? Maybe I should try to bulk then cut? I'm so lost in all this?
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Perhaps I'm expecting too much too soon?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I was lifting heavier after a week or so! I'm not sure if I should change my routine or stop the cheat days or stop the beer completely? I went the whole of January without beer for cancer research uk and lost 14lbs along with good diet, maybe I should try that again? Does your body get to an ideal weight then stop? Maybe I should try to bulk then cut? I'm so lost in all this?

But are you continuing to increase the weights?
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Instead of cheat " days" I'd have a cheat " meal" if you really must have it.

I would say the only real difference in my cheat day would be sharing a tub of ice cream and a few beers watching a DVD with wife, I don't stuff my face all day lol
  • wattsy84
    Options

But are you continuing to increase the weights?

Yeh but I think I jumped up to high too soon, I'm starting my routine again next week properly noting down what I'm lifting as I do it all at home due to lack of funds!
    I will do 1 week then increase the weight the following week
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Looking at your photo..I'd day to keep lifting like toady says and get progressively heavier with your weights. You look ok to me..but I'm not the one looking back in the mirror. If you feel cutting out beer will help, then do so..but you can eat/drink mostly anything if it fits in with your calories.
  • wattsy84
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hugo22.htm

That's the routine I do (top one)
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Looking at your photo..I'd day to keep lifting like toady says and get progressively heavier with your weights. You look ok to me..but I'm not the one looking back in the mirror. If you feel cutting out beer will help, then do so..but you can eat/drink mostly anything if it fits in with your calories.

Yeh I try to drink light beer and fit it in to my calories.

The other thing I'm not sure of is my TDEE is correct and if I'm in too much of a deficit or not enough (maintenance)
    I've tried sooooo many TDEE calcs lol
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    If you are 100% sure your TDEE is right for your level of exercise, I would say have a few days a maintenance and then start at 10-15% cut again. You don't need to lose weight by the sounds of things, just cut a little bodyfat.

I prefer IIFYM than having a cheat day, but I kind of think if you are very clean the rest of the week then a cheat meal/day may suit you better.
  • wattsy84
    Options
    If you are 100% sure your TDEE is right for your level of exercise, I would say have a few days a maintenance and then start at 10-15% cut again. You don't need to lose weight by the sounds of things, just cut a little bodyfat.

I prefer IIFYM than having a cheat day, but I kind of think if you are very clean the rest of the week then a cheat meal/day may suit you better.

I tried the "reset" button lol ate at or over maintenance for a week then started again but no joy.
    I'm 29 5"10 165lbs
    Work 5days week, 8 hrs day painter and decorator always on feet
    90 mins football sat
    1hr lifting 3x week
    20 mins cardio 2x week

I worked out around 3000/32000 TDEE am I wrong?
  • ajwcom1
    ajwcom1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey,

It is very difficult to comment without looking at what you are eating and at your exercise routine. However, I will try to make some recommendations.

1.Stop drinking alcohol for a set period of time and see if that makes a difference.
    2.Stop eating processed starchy carbohydrates, yes, cut them out completely and replace them with more fruit and vegetables (No wheat and gluten). This might sound extreme but I believe in the Paleo Diet and lifestyle. I have many clients who have had great results from eating this way!
    3.Try adding an extra weight session into your routine. Also, Tabata training with cardio (rowing, running) and weights! Try mixing up your routines and don’t stick to a certain pattern, routine can be the enemy (CrossFit style mixed with strength training)! Try training for performance; for example, how long does it take you to complete 30, 40kg clean and jerks? (Take a note of how long it takes you and then next time, beat your time. Train for performance and aesthetics will follow, this is how athletes train.)
    4.Cheat day….. this depends on exactly what you are eating?
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Ok I'm going to cut my cals down another 100 and cut out cheat day and alcohol for 3 weeks and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.