What keeps you motivated?

Options
I'm starting to up my calories to creep them up to TDEE -20/25%, whilst this means I'm eating more- which is good, it means my weight loss has slowed down. Whilst deep down I know this is sensible it is hard to keep with it when really I just want this fat gone!
When you feel like things aren't going your way how do you keep up with it?
I keep seeing people who have achieved their goals much quicker than I have, and I can see why, but realizing I'm probably not going to lose as much weight as I wanted to in the next month has got me down.
:(

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    this keeps me on track

"If you did have a million-dollar racehorse, would you let him stay up half the night drinking coffee and booze, smoking cigarettes and eating junk food?" "Would you treat your 10-dollar dog or your 5-dollar cat that way? What about your billion-dollar body?"

anyone can add me
  • hollygparr
    hollygparr Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My friends on here! We support one another and celebrate one anothers achievements :) Feel free to send a request
  • fis373594
    fis373594 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated is the thought of getting a more leaner body and the fact that I have something to do on a regular bases beside work and be a mom. This gym thing is my thing.
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Nicole, briefly looking over your profile pics, you look amazing girl! There is no reason for you to ever feel low about anything.

Try not to concentrate on what you see on the scale and focus on other improvements you see that wasn't there a month or two ago. You are stronger, faster more limber than you were a few months ago, what would you like to improve for the next two months ahead of you?

Remember that the closer you get to your goal weight the slowly that needle will decrease. If you concentrate only on that it will drive you crazy. Focus on what improves your quality of life and all the best on your endeavors!
  • WannaBLoser2013
    Options
    I'm starting to up my calories to creep them up to TDEE -20/25%, whilst this means I'm eating more- which is good, it means my weight loss has slowed down. Whilst deep down I know this is sensible it is hard to keep with it when really I just want this fat gone!
    When you feel like things aren't going your way how do you keep up with it?
    I keep seeing people who have achieved their goals much quicker than I have, and I can see why, but realizing I'm probably not going to lose as much weight as I wanted to in the next month has got me down.
    :(

I am pretty good at motivating myself :-), but I find that it really helps me to write down the thing that I am going trough while trying to lose weight. I write on my MFB blog from time to time and I find it to be almost therapeutic. Even if nobody reads it :-)

Here is one I wrote a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/WannaBLoser2013
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    My fat *kitten*. :wink:
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are feeling...I've been very slowly losing for a year now. I got within a range my body found comfortable and unless I'm willing to do some drastic changing, things are moving along at a snail's pace. I'm okay with that though because I know I'm working hard and things ARE changing - even if the scale doesn't show it. So - to answer your question - seeing areas on my body that are responding to my workouts (and seeing those that are lagging behind) is what keeps me going. Just always wanting to get better, stronger, faster. Gotta find that motivation deep within yourself and cling to it because there will be days you don't want to do anything and it's all on you to get it done.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    slow and steady is healthy, especially when you don't have much more to lose, and also very good for keeping/gaining muscle :) I and also 5"7 and went from about 148lb to 140lb in 3 months which is slow, but check my nice arm muscles I've made in the past month ;) and my bum is defying gravity more than ever!

Get strength training. You might think your loss gets smaller (which it does) but if you're not eating too much under TDEE (I eat net 1600minimum) then you will be gaining muscle AND losing fat - remember, muscle weighs more! I increased from 1200 about a month ago and increased again 2 weeks ago and wow, my body shape has improved so much while my weight has slowly been going down :) I couldn't imagine netting less than 1600 now, I don't know how I did it. Exercising boosts your metabolism and makes you ravenous all the time!

Exercise is key xx

p.s. also getting of contraception helps reduce hunger A LOT! I am like a crazy ravenous animal when I'm on it
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Consistency is what matters.

Motivation is nice.

But it isn't a requirement.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone in such a rush to lose weight so fast? It's a marathon not a foot race.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    As vain as this sounds. Having men notice me.. A friend just told me that I was getting noticed at the bar and I was totally oblivious. In fact, a guy was almost in my lap showing me something on his phone and I wasn't even paying attention to the moves.

Now that it has been pointed out to me, I'm much more aware of what's going on. I want to look good for me of course, but having people notice it is human nature. It's just my NSV.
    :)

Let them look!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider setting some non-weight-related goals. For example, can you do a push-up? How many? Can you do a pull-up? How many? Can you run a mile, non-stop? Two miles? Five miles? Wherever you are, there's always more to strive for. Set some non-scale goals and start working towards them. Maybe do the squat challenge or something similar. I believe that consistent exercise and healthy habits are key. I, too, have seen success stories of people getting to their goal much more quickly than I, but I know that my body is now able to do things that I couldn't even imagine a few months ago. I also know that I am setting up habits that will stay with me for the long-term. :)
  • yoscarlino
    yoscarlino Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider setting some non-weight-related goals. For example, can you do a push-up? How many? Can you do a pull-up? How many? Can you run a mile, non-stop? Two miles? Five miles? Wherever you are, there's always more to strive for. Set some non-scale goals and start working towards them. Maybe do the squat challenge or something similar. I believe that consistent exercise and healthy habits are key. I, too, have seen success stories of people getting to their goal much more quickly than I, but I know that my body is now able to do things that I couldn't even imagine a few months ago. I also know that I am setting up habits that will stay with me for the long-term. :)

What she said! I love that I can do things now that 3 months ago would have never happened. I am at the gym 3-4 days a week and walking 3-4 miles on other days. Who is this person who enjoys exercise? I like her a lot. I love wearing smaller clothes. especially when things that were tight are loose now. The scale isn't moving fast, but I know I am healthier now than I have been in a long time. And the 40 lbs I still have to go doesn't seem so far away............
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Me. I am what keeps me motivated. I know my body is getting better and better, and will continue to do so, even when the scale is moving at a snail's pace or even not at all, as it sometimes does.

Yes, you could eat less and lose faster, but is that a lifestyle you can live for the long haul? Because if it's not, your weight loss won't be permanent. And that's what you want, right?

You're making slow but steady progress. Stay the course!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I know how frustrating it is when the weight loss starts slowing down. Look at it this way: it's really good preparation for when you reach your goal. At that point, you'll still have to be committed and determined, but you won't have the motivation of seeing your weight go down on the scale. If you think slow weight loss is hard, how about no weight loss? You still have to be conscious and mindful of how you eat and exercise when you reach your goal, and you don't get the "reward" of seeing changes.

Seeing the weight go down, and seeing your body rapidly change, and fitting into different sized clothes... it can all be very seductive, addictive even. The thing is though, if you are going to maintain your weightloss, then you're going to spend the vast majority of your life without those kinds of feedback. The only way to keep experiencing those dramatic losses indefinitely is to be a lifelong yo-yo dieter.

In my opinion, there are two ways you can approach this, in order to keep on track. Ideally, you can apply both. Firstly, find other ways of measuring your progress: other things that will change and improve, but don't involve weight or measurements, or seeing visible bodily changes. If you like lifting weights, focus on progressing with that. Lift heavier and heavier. If you like running, focus on running further, or faster. If you like yoga, focus on being able to master new poses. Consider taking up something like a martial art that has an obvious progression from level to level. Set goals that you can work towards that take your focus outside of the weight loss process.

Secondly, accept that as you get closer to your weight loss goal, it becomes less about the process of changing, and more about being. You have to focus on being healthy, fit, lean, whatever it is you're aiming for. That's not to say you can't still improve, but the changes are never going to be as dramatic as in the weight loss phase. You have to be ok with stepping on the scale every morning, or every week, and seeing the same numbers. It's not as exciting, you just have to look at things differently. I did my monthly measurements this morning and was disappointed when they were pretty much the same as last month. Then I remembered that I am maintaining now, gave myself a mental slap and felt proud that I've maintained this loss for five months now.

And while you're still in this loss phase, just keep reminding yourself that you're doing it the right way. Slow is good. Other people may get there faster, but that's not necessarily the best way. By having a smaller calorie deficit, you are helping to make sure that as much of your loss as possible is fat, not muscle or bone density. You are also minimising disruption to your hormones. Psychologically, you're giving yourself time to get your head around what you will need to do to maintain, and hopefully increasing your chances of keeping the weight off permanently. It feels like forever when you're doing it, but you'll get there, and it will be so worth it!
  • JessMmmkay
    JessMmmkay Posts: 61
    Options
    I think the think that motivates me the most is looking at my before picture.. the fear of heading back in that direction scares the living s*** out of me. Also, all the friends on my friends list help me keep going.. just by watching their posts I keep moving forward. Not to say I don't have "not so good days" as far as eating go - I just dust myself off and do better the next day when that happens. :)
  • NicoleMGetsFit
    NicoleMGetsFit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support!
    I'm really inspired by what you guys said about making non-weight based goals. I still can't really do a proper push up, I've signed up to do a 5K in a few months and I did my first kettlebell workout yesterday and loved it so I think I'm going to try and ignore the scales a little and try and see how much I can do health/ strength wise!
    Time to get lean and strong.
    To the guy who said about wanting to lose weight so fast, probably because we don't all look like you and summer is coming!
  • YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Improvements in my fitness, skin, mood and a overall feeling of welness keeps me motivated more than the actual weight loss. I don't eat to fill times of boredom or when I'm a bit down anymore if I am feeling stressed exercise actually makes me feel better for the short term without the guilt of stuffing my face with unhealthy foods.
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Motivation? Being Healthy.....or much healthier than I have been in years. I while weight loss is still a goal, it is not my main goal anymore. I want to be fit and healthy and be able to do things most people my age cannot.
    I am a processor and like consistency so as long as I have a schedule or list I am good :) (most times)
    I have made a lifestyle change and know that a healthy diet and exercise will be part of my life from here on out.
    It helps that the exercises I choose to do are things that I actually enjoy doing. That way it is not a chore and I am not having to drag myself to the gym everyday. Now do not get me wrong. I do have days when I do not want to go, but then I know my workout partner will be there and get on my case if I do not show up, so I go anyway. Plus I LOVE the adrenaline high I get after a good workout. It is more addictive than cigs.....and I smoked for 30 years!
    It also helps that I enjoy cooking and finding new healthier recipes to try on the family.
    I do tend to "overdo" things so sometimes I have to take a break for a couple days and recharge my battery.
    That does not mean letting myself go. It just means not being so strict on myself with calories and exercise.
    Am actually doing that today and tomorrow. The only exercise I plan on doing today and tomorrow is taking the 3 horses, 4 dogs and 2 cats to the vet, taking the 2 cats and one of the dogs to the groomer for seasonal shaving, helping the kids unpack their boxes brought home from college and then re-pack and store what will go back.
    Oh Sheesh, that actually sounds like a lot when I write it down. Thank goodness we have been having so much rain and I do not have to push mow my 2 acre yard!
    Anyway, just remember that you are in this for the long haul. I know how easy it is to get discouraged. Focus on how much better you are now that you were just a short time ago and keep making mini goals for yourself health wise. It will keep you motivated when you have something to strive towards.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    life.

all the things i want to do in life will be much easier if i'm healthy and in shape.