Help! Why can't I ever get rid of that lower pooch?

Options
Paralyza
Paralyza Posts: 19 Member
I have made working out a part of my life now, instead of a spring affair. I'm happy with the results, but there is just one spot that I can't sculpt. I have never wanted a six pack, not my kind of look. But mad respect to women with six packs! However, I can never get rid of that lower pooch. I just want that flat swimsuit tummy. My workout regiment includes 4 days of les mills body pump and one day of advanced step aerobics. I have taken iso-100 isolated protein and muscle pharm boost, but not religiously. Not sure what I can do that will help flatten my lower stomach, be it exercise wise or supplement or diet? Any suggestions?

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your question, sorry. But I had to tell you that you're dress is pretty damned awesome. It's so interesting and eyecatching. Cool.
  • Dawnog
    Dawnog Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, the one thing i have found that has certainly made a difference to my belly is cutting right back on gluten. I have gluten free cereal bars and only eat bread a couple of times a week, look in the gluten free isle in your supermarket they usually have a good range. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your question, sorry. But I had to tell you that you're dress is pretty damned awesome. It's so interesting and eyecatching. Cool.

haha I was just thinking the same thing as I was reading this post! Great minds think alike!

Have patience :wink: eating well and exercise will lower it but it takes time
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I have made working out a part of my life now, instead of a spring affair. I'm happy with the results, but there is just one spot that I can't sculpt. I have never wanted a six pack, not my kind of look. But mad respect to women with six packs! However, I can never get rid of that lower pooch. I just want that flat swimsuit tummy. My workout regiment includes 4 days of les mills body pump and one day of advanced step aerobics. I have taken iso-100 isolated protein and muscle pharm boost, but not religiously. Not sure what I can do that will help flatten my lower stomach, be it exercise wise or supplement or diet? Any suggestions?

there is no spoon. there is no secret. simply fat loss while you keep your existing muscle, with a minimal deficit
    the best exercises for abs are often not direct ab exercises at all like dead lifts, squats, bench press,
    all compound movements that work almost your whole body, including the abs. then throw in a couple ab exercises
    after those workouts, to work them directly if you want.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    its an eating clean brigade from my experience....no canned food (sodium!!), nothing processed, minimal seasonings (only salt free! like ms dash), condiments are out of the question, less eating out, LOTS of drinking water (gallon a day!), cardio, and weight training sometimes twice a day. no gum, no drinking from straws, etc...then its a CONSISTENCY thing from there, you have to be as close to 100% clean eating for at least three months and youll see some results, it definitely takes a while but being patient is half the battle!

in terms of exercise, lots of spinning, mountain climbers, deadlifts, the ab machines at the gym really help, planks, etc. you have to lower your OVERALL body fat to see a change in your tummy, so make sure you do arm exercises and leg exercises too! dont skimp out on them just because theyre not abs. but definitely eat clean, thats the first and foremost thing!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    There are parts of the body that will hold on to fat even with the best regimens. So if the program you're doing now isn't helping to rid it, then try a different workout program to harden up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My wife is dealing with the same issue and we've looked into this a little.

First of all there are no supplements that will spot target the pooch or any other area. If there were this website would have 1/10 as many people on it.

The pooch is for the most part a byproduct of one or both of the following:
    1. slack muscles
    2. fat
    (Poor posture can make it look worse than it is also.)

There are exercises that can target the lower ab area. All the full body exercise you are doing is important also.

It doesn't look like you have all that much to lose but even 5 pounds made a difference to us.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You pretty much cant do anything to specifically attack that spot.

But what you can do is reduce your overall body fat percentage as low as you can till it goes away. And pretty much the only way to do that is either reduce your calorie intake so youre running a deficit, or do a lot more cardio without increasing your calorie intake. And just go lean till it goes away.

Its basically a pocket of fat. You look pretty small and lean in your profile pic, so it doesnt seem like you have too much of a journey to do (like I do). But definitely some cardio to help burn body fat till that area goes away.

Once its gone, you can switch back to focusing on strength like you have been.
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    they say that tummy's are sculpted in the gym but revealed in the kitchen.. maybe you need to reassess the types of foods you eat. From a brief look at your diary I would suggest cutting down on some of the processed foods like flavoured yoghurts and wheat. Perhaps read Wheat Belly by William Davis..
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Diet and start lift some heavy stuff.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Ditch powders and supplements and eat more protein foods. I don't know if it will help I just think its better to have nutrition in as recognisable form as possible:ohwell:

I have a flabby pooch from 2 kids (1 c-section). Its going down slowly but is still droopy - and the strech marks show up MORE now they're not stretched with fat:grumble: I have to decide whether to let it all hang out or go for a controlling one-piece:sad:
  • Paralyza
    Paralyza Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ty! I like the retro neon look
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm working on my pooch right now. Its slow going but keep up your exercising and watch your diet and it'll eventually shrink. Mine is shrinking and now is mainly an piece of hanging flab and so I'm wearing control undergarments to put it where its supposed to be. I know this isn't the case but I like to think its helping just a bit cause it seems my flab is getting flabbier, LOL! All good things come with time.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Working on mine. I have one larger pooch, and one smaller. There is also a weird line between them... quite unattractive. I'm working on it and it's slimmed down some, but I've had it since I was young and I'm worried it won't go away. I'm a clean eater, bodyweight strength and cardio-er, and i work out about 4-5 days per week for around an hour. My posture probably contributes, so I need to get that in check. I limit my bread intake to absolutely no more than 2 pieces per day, and eat probably 4 or so servings of whole grains. I try to get my carbohydrates from veggies/fruits mostly. Little to no refined sugars for me!

Bumping so I can come back for any ideas :)
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Ditch powders and supplements and eat more protein foods. I don't know if it will help I just think its better to have nutrition in as recognisable form as possible:ohwell:

That is nonsense, it doesnt matter where your protein comes from. It can be powders or whole foods, it doesn't matter. In actual fact, good whey protein has the best protein profile out there. You could technically base your entire protein intake on powder.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    its an eating clean brigade from my experience....no canned food (sodium!!), nothing processed, minimal seasonings (only salt free! like ms dash), condiments are out of the question, less eating out, LOTS of drinking water (gallon a day!), cardio, and weight training sometimes twice a day. no gum, no drinking from straws, etc...then its a CONSISTENCY thing from there, you have to be as close to 100% clean eating for at least three months and youll see some results, it definitely takes a while but being patient is half the battle!

in terms of exercise, lots of spinning, mountain climbers, deadlifts, the ab machines at the gym really help, planks, etc. you have to lower your OVERALL body fat to see a change in your tummy, so make sure you do arm exercises and leg exercises too! dont skimp out on them just because theyre not abs. but definitely eat clean, thats the first and foremost thing!

Can someone clarify some information for me, such as, why can't you drink from a straw, its not like your eating the straw.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Can someone clarify some information for me, such as, why can't you drink from a straw, its not like your eating the straw.

Sometimes drinking from straws cause you to also gulp and swallow air, resulting in bloating? That's all I can think of. I have sensitive teeth, if I don't drink from a straw I don't drink at all.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options

That is nonsense, it doesnt matter where your protein comes from. It can be powders or whole foods, it doesn't matter. In actual fact, good whey protein has the best protein profile out there. You could technically base your entire protein intake on powder.

Do you have any recommendations for good whey proteins? I've been looking to invest and it's nerve-wracking as a first-time buyer of the stuff when you're broke from being a starving student. x_x
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    eat REAL food you internal organs will thank you for it
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    well, the only real way to decrease it is with total body fat loss.
    i do not intend to say that doing endless ab crunches will magically make it disappear, but i know people often only work their upper abs with standard crunches and moves like that, which dont help the lower pooch. try doing a crunch instead where you lay on your back and use your lower abs to raise your legs all the way up and then lower them slowly again. this move alone, of course, will not magically make it go away but strengthening those muscles with moves like this have been shown to help!

good luck :)