Does eating cheese slow down weight loss???

Options
I have heard several people say that eating cheese slows down weight loss. But so far no one can tell me why. Has anyone heard this before or know why and/or IF this is true??? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Replies

• CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Cheese is high in fat, and it is calories because of that. Every gram of fat is 9 calories. Cheese is not good for burning fat unless you are on a ketognic/atkins diet. Simply, all the little things you can cut out of your diet, the better
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Cheese is high in fat, and it is calories because of that. Every gram of fat is 9 calories. Cheese is not good for burning fat unless you are on a ketognic/atkins diet. Simply, all the little things you can cut out of your diet, the better

With that said, cutting things OUT may not be your goal. The key is moderation, and achieving a lifestyle change.
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree....Atkins/ low carb (what ever they call it now) works like a champ....I dropped 40 lbs. in a matter of a few months....then I realized I couldn't eat like that long term...I felt like I was depriving myself of the pleasures of eating....
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese 3 times a week, and it has not slowed down my weight loss. I haven't given up a single thing since I made the decision to be healthy, I just eat things in moderation.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Cheese has been a part of my diet since the beginning and I have lost weight. The key IS moderation. I don't eat it every day and I make sure that I buy the lowest cal cheese I can find but it is also a good source of dairy, especially for those who are lactose intolerant. I am making life style changes that I will be able to continue for the rest of my life, not just to lose weight. Cheese is yummy and if I have to walk an extra mile to have it I will!!
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have eaten cheese during all of my 92 lbs lost and it has been fine. I buy cheese that lighter and sprinkle a bit on a salad or put it in a wrap and it is all good. I could not live without cheese. I don't buy cheese slices anymore and I don't buy blocks of cheese because I would eat chunks of it, I buy shredded cheese and it is perfect for me!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    IMO, eating a serving of cheese, while high in fat, will not sabotage weight loss. The entire cheese block...perhaps.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese I just make sure it is low fat. I put it in the catergory of I wouldn't drink whole milk so I would not eat full fat cheese. It also tends to be higher in sodium so just watch that and you would be fine incorporating it in your diet.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I eat one string cheese every single day, usually with breakfast or as a snack. I love my cheese, lol. I would never give it up. I haven't had any problems with my weight loss.

I think the key is moderation.
  • Jesusfollower72
    Options
    That being said, you need to eat fat to lose fat, unless you're a bodybuilder shredding for a competition. A balanced diet would have about 30% of your food intake from fat (30% protein, 40% carbs).
    Also fat helps you to feel satisfied longer since it takes you body longer to digest the food and it has no impact on the blood sugar since there are usually no carbs (there are exceptions, so check the labels).
    Carbs sabotage our diets today more than fat. So as many people have stated, the key is moderation. If you're accurately logging all your calories, and staying under your calorie goal, you'll be just fine eating some cheese. I eat organic american cheese once or twice a day and I fit back into my skinny jeans and am 8 lbs away from my goal weight.
  • softlyspoken68
    Options
    NO...well for myself NO but i have NO foods offlimits i just eat moderately and if i'm full i don't eat...i eat only when hungry and portions this is a lifestyle change for me, not a diet
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese 3 times a week, and it has not slowed down my weight loss. I haven't given up a single thing since I made the decision to be healthy, I just eat things in moderation.

Same. I eat a piece of string cheese at least 4 times a week and laughing cow light also around 3 times a week. I haven't felt like it has slowed my progress. I don't feel like I should have to give up any food I like just to lose weight. I can learn how to eat the correct portion or how to make it healthier for the rest of my life though.
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    I eat full fat cheese most days. I love it. I don't like low fat cheese, so if I can still stay within my calorie, fat, and sodium goals for the most part, I'm going to keep at it. The key IS moderation. Whereas before I could easily eat a couple of ounces without thinking about it (and still want more), now I can have a half ounce or ounce with some fruit or some walnuts for a good snack. Yum! I've lost 7 pounds in 8 weeks, so it sure doesn't seem to be slowing me down!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I eat cheese all the time. When I do my sandwiches now I have 1/2 a slice instead of a whole slice. I think everything is fine in moderation. I couldn't follow a diet plan that completely cut out things I love.
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Heeeeeyyy Mollie

I eat cheese daily and when I feel the need because I just like cheese... For you and I we only obsorb 15% of anything we eat. Also you and I have to keep up our protien and calcium up so per my dietian if that is how you like to get it than that's okay... Eat it !
    Now truths it is high in sodium, they say low fat is better and three now a days nothing you eat is good for you so moderation is the key!!!

Try it and see how it works for YOU eliminate cheese for one month, two weeks or just one and try to eat the samething and see if helps or hinders you... Just my opinion... Smoochies.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how it works for YOU eliminate cheese for one month, two weeks or just one and try to eat the samething and see if helps or hinders you... Just my opinion... Smoochies.

Thanks Meka! That is my problem -- the moderation. I love the mozeralla cheese sticks and I have a hard time just eating one or two pieces. So I am going to have to eliminate this cheese but there are others that I can safely eat in moderation with no problem. I know these are a problem for me so I just can't buy them anymore unless it is the single sticks they sale.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I agree....Atkins/ low carb (what ever they call it now) works like a champ....I dropped 40 lbs. in a matter of a few months....then I realized I couldn't eat like that long term...I felt like I was depriving myself of the pleasures of eating....

I don't understand if you are going by the book and adding in foods according to the carb ladder.............how do you feel deprived???
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

This is true, well part of it..........As someone else has said, You have to eat fat to burn fat...............

However, if you are eating shredded cheese from the grocery store and not shredding your own, then it has starch in it, which can stall weight loss.

Or, you could have a dairy tolerance issue..................Do you also have sinus issues with mucus???
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese several times a week and I've lost 35 lbs. No low carb, not cutting out anything except meat 'cause I'm a vegetarian and that's a moral issue not a weight related issue. It seems like you have had no problem losing as you've lost 19lbs, so I say keep on going as you are and you should be fine.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cheese..no low fat crap for me!! If i'm going to eat it, it's gotta be old and full of fat!! yummmy! As far as weight loss goes, I wouldn't think it would help it along..lol