weekly calories VS daily calories

Options
Hello everyone, I've been researching about weekly caloric count instead of the usual daily count, and I wanted to hear some opinions, which one works best? Which one is easier?

To those who don't know, weekly calories is the total amount of calories you consume over the week, you focus on the total, making you able to eat more or less calories throughout the week

And daily calories are the calories we consume each day of course, for instance, each day you have a goal of 1500kcals, you don't focus on the weekly total, just daily.

Replies

• goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    both! when I started realizing my week...then everything changed for me...sometimes daily is too narrow a focus
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    I personally find that focusing on weekly calories will allow me to eat more and feel better in general, I usually eat around 3600 to 4200kcals on monday and eat less the rest of the week, every monday morning I'm feeling so light and wonderful, it's amazing so far, I'm scared this is going to backfire because it seems too good to be true haha
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Weekly works better for me. Today I'm over by 150 calories... but psssh. I was under the rest of the week.
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    Weekly works better for me. Today I'm over by 150 calories... but psssh. I was under the rest of the week.

how many calories do you eat weekly?
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Around 9,800 with a goal of about 1400 a day or 11,900 if I have a goal of 1700 per day. But I worry more about my weekly intake. I try to keep my daily close but if I'm over by something as small as 100 or 200 calories I don't freak... sine I know the last few days I was under by more than that.
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    bump for more insight!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've seen was a study that showed women averaged more successful food diets through weekly totals over daily... it's all psychological because it's just about your net caloric average.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to the daily but only to get a handle of how much a daily quota is for me. It gives me a visual idea of what "normal" is for me.
    However, I keep a closer tab on weekly calories. My body doesn't really use exactly X calories each and every day. It varies a little bit due to activity level, temperature, how I feel, etc. I figure that in everyday life each day is different; it's the balance that counts in the long run. I keep an eye on my weekly average each week.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i go by a 2 day total. waiting a week maybe to late to affect change
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    bumping!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I like weekly it judt helps when I go over on a day or 2. I need to stick to 1593 tomorrow to be within my goal for the week.
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Posted this on another thread, but it's the same principle:

This actually a recognized form of caloric restriction called "calorie cycling" by laymen and "alternate-day fasting (ADF)" by nutritionists. Legitimate peer-reviewed scientific journals have published studies on ADF. This is a good summary of findings using animal and human subjects: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/7.full

One study (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/1/69.abstract?ijkey=8244a073f4e997f5ecbc96499d98eaccdf3bbca2&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha) confirms body weight and body fat loss in their study on the effects of ADF on life-span. Following an ADF (or intermittent fasting) regime may work for some people better than strict same-calories-every-day restriction, and you'll get the same benefits as long as your weekly average turns out "correct".

TL;DR - what you're doing is called calorie cycling or alternate-day fasting (ADF) and it's a scientifically recognized way to lose fat, but keep making sure you stay properly nourished in terms of food diversity, weekly macro breakdowns, and vitamin/minerals!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing.
    Our BMR is 24/7, it doesn't shut down at midnight and restart in the morning.
    We're even using calories when we sleep.
    With this in mind, a weekly average seems to be a better tool for me.
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing.
    Our BMR is 24/7, it doesn't shut down at midnight and restart in the morning.
    We're even using calories when we sleep.
    With this in mind, a weekly average seems to be a better tool for me.

It's even weird being able to eat 4600 calories on monday and still lose weight haha
  • ajmiller1987
    ajmiller1987 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's important to pay attention to both.

I don't see much value in stressing over consuming a surplus of calories one or two particular day(s) out of the week. Unless you are extremely obese, you will not really have much observable or theoretical weight loss in a single day anyway. Those 500 deficit calories in one day aren't much on their own, but over the course of a week, they do add up to a pound.

You don't want to miss the forest for the trees, but you still have to see the trees, too.

Of course, it depends on your goals, your exercise regiment, schedule, eating habits, etc. But in general, I find it works best to pay attention to the small details while also remaining cognizant of the big picture.
  • MellyMel340
    MellyMel340 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I don't see much value in stressing over consuming a surplus of calories one or two particular day(s) out of the week. Unless you are extremely obese, you will not really have much observable or theoretical weight loss in a single day anyway. Those 500 deficit calories in one day aren't much on their own, but over the course of a week, they do add up to a pound.

You don't want to miss the forest for the trees, but you still have to see the trees, too.

Of course, it depends on your goals, your exercise regiment, schedule, eating habits, etc. But in general, I find it works best to pay attention to the small details while also remaining cognizant of the big picture.

I agree^
  • lunaticlover
    Options

I agree^

I think the bigger picture will always more make sense than the small details, I got seriously frustrated focusing on daily calories, and in the end what matters is the weekly deficit, so why not focus on it? It's bad for people who like to eat a lot everyday, but in my case I don't mind having to fast one day or two days to compensate my indulgence in some days, it actually makes me feel better and lighter every monday...
  • daybydaybyday
    Options
    Several years back, Weight Watchers had something called The Wendy Plan, based on one of its members who found that she lost better when she alternated calories-- some days lower, some days higher. One of the other posters is right, this is also called calorie cycling. Intermittent fasting is slightly different-- usually involves 2-3 days a week of very low calories (around 500) and then eating at maintenance level calories on the other days. The supposed advantage of intermittent fasting is that it not only helps you lose weight, but also helps your body do self-repair on the low calorie/fasting days.

I believe there's a group on here devoted to intermittment fasting -- also called the 5:2 diet.

Very interesting documentary on intermittent fasting:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I guess you could say I work it out over a week as I do 5:2 fasting - 2 very low calorie days and 5 normal days. In my case the 5 normal days are actually eating at a calorie surplus as I'm maintaining weight rather than trying to lose.

As my exercise also varies enormously on the 5 normal eating days my daily gross calories can vary between 600 on fasting days and almost 4,500 on days where I've been cycling for a few hours.