Lawsuit against I can't believe it's not butter!! Eeek

Options

Replies

• Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    A couple of sprays on my corn (probably 2 or 3), not usually any on my mashed potatoes and no more than 5 sprays on my bagel thin... yah I think I'm doing it right. lol Really no need for anymore than that cause I still want to taste the food. lol
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone so afraid of butter??? Just plain old butter??? Leave those sprays, spreads, and others alone just used PLAIN OLD NATURAL BUTTER!!! Is has 2 ingredients Salt and Cream...Not Oil blends, natural and artificial flavors, vegetable monoglycerides......! Sometimes instead of this with your "stomach" aka...calorie counting, macro this macro that, just think with your head!!
  • Shimmerrzz
    Shimmerrzz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I am glad you started this thread...I always wondered what the actual calories were in the stuff....I did and still use it!

alright, here's my thing....I do count out my sprays KNOWING that there is no way there is zero calories in this stuff once you spray more that once....I did this before I read the article....is most definately does not make me smarter or better than anyone else, but I am not surprized or horrified....just kinda glad to know what the actual breakdown is...

as for the lawsuit....come on....not one of us is here because we used to many friggin sprays on our steamed broccoli, am I right? If that were my biggest problem I would not have a problem!!! :laugh:
  • tptouchdown
    tptouchdown Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have lost 65 pounds in a year and I have not gone to eating low fat foods. I don't believe in diet foods. I feel that the key to any long term weight loss program is portion control and regular exercise. This is one of the reasons I use myFitnesspal. I eat regular foods watching my calories and other nutritional information. I use regular butter (just less of it) and I eat foods with fat. I try to stay away from sugar. If I want a steak, i eat it. I put butter on my veggies and I eat a lot of nuts but I stay within my calorie count. I found that after a year, I have increased my activity and at times the issue is to eat enough food to cover my caloric output.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but a serving is supposed to be 1 spray.

If you thought a label that says "0 Caloires" really meant that it contained no calories, then you aren't familiar with the labeling guidelines. It doesn't mean the company was lying to you. Under the guidelines, less than 1 calories can be listed as 0 calories.

I agree with you

BUT

anyone who believed that their zero really meant zero may be naive... but their maths is correct. Because zero times anything still equals zero, so if something really does contain zero calories, the number of servings of it they eat should not matter. IMO companies should not be allowed to claim zero unless it really is zero. In the UK they put "trace" when a product contains too small a quantity of something to worry about, but there is still some. That at least is mathematically correct. And IMO that's why this law in the USA is very misleading...
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Saw Jillian Michaels live last night and this was one of her rants.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    These sprays can get away with (or at least thought they could get away with) saying it's 0 calories and 0 fat. They are allowed to round down if it's .9 calories. Same with trans fats--if it is .9 g of trans fats per serving, they can say it has 0g. So deceitful.
  • dominiquekarpinska
    Options
    look i know it takes common sense to understand that but its sad that the way of life is that chemical based crap is cheaper than homemade n healthy stuff more expense and there are alot of people who are on a fixed budget like myself who need to eat healthier because of life n death situation but cant cuz well we have bills too n we only get so much a month so... thats y so many people buy junk and then there are the people who think that the government would not let us consume things that are harmful which isnt the case... i dunno i watch what i eat so i dont use that crap anyways besides its only 3 or 5 molecules from becoming plastic anyways.... so thanks but no thanks
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So if the lose, this means that every single food company can get sued. No labels are 100% accurate due to rounding and allowable error.

Sounds reasonable!
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Well I am going to Spray Butter Hell for counting. Pathetic I know but I figure if I take the time to weigh all my food, incl. condiments etc, I might as well make sure my treats (popcorn) are accurately tracked too. So yes, in my diary it says 37.5 (2 servings). YES 75 and on occasion I may even go nuts and have an extra couple sprays lol.
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I cook with olive oil. Loads of calories in it so I just try and moderate it. Plus it's better for you healthwise than any other oil. I have marg on toast sometimes but do prefer butter but 'tis naughty x
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    why not just use real butter and avoid the issue entirely?

huh.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    The spray cans of oil aren't low calorie either if you continue to spray and spray and spray!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's this really a thread about a cooking item that's less than 5 calories? Really? REALLY?!?!
  • MissaSolemnis
    MissaSolemnis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree, this is just as bad as McDonald's being sued for hot coffee. Well no *kitten* buttercup, you expected ice cream?

Sums this up PERFECTLY!

I think the lawsuit should be for selling a bottle of chemicals that have no nutritional value what-so-ever, & trying to say it's better for you than butter.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I agree, this is just as bad as McDonald's being sued for hot coffee. Well no *kitten* buttercup, you expected ice cream?

Sums this up PERFECTLY!

I think the lawsuit should be for selling a bottle of chemicals that have no nutritional value what-so-ever, & trying to say it's better for you than butter.

Do they actually say that?
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Really?

No plastic tasting sh1t for me...I prefer real butter.

I agree...I used to constantly use the spray butter/spray salad spritzers/no fat/no sugar stuff. I much prefer real food, used sparingly.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Sums this up PERFECTLY!

Do they actually say that?

by touting its zero-calorie-ness, yes.
  • MellyMel340
    MellyMel340 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    "I-can't-beleive-it's-a-lawsuit"

and

"I-can't-beleive-I-am-counting-sprays-instead-of-just-eating-the-ten-damn-cals"

hahahahahaah!!
  • MellyMel340
    MellyMel340 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There is 3.41 calories per 5 sprays.

So... I believe that falls within the % error. So The bottle can say "0 calories"

The bottle says 5 sprays are for a topping (like on a potato or something), 1 spray for cooking.

I am not sure but I would expect the average amount of sprays to be 3. That would be 2.05 calories average usage. Which is pretty low, so yeah The company can get away with it saying it's 0 calories.

^^^^^ this guy knows his stuff