weekly calories VS daily calories

Options

Replies

• lunaticlover
    Options
    I guess you could say I work it out over a week as I do 5:2 fasting - 2 very low calorie days and 5 normal days. In my case the 5 normal days are actually eating at a calorie surplus as I'm maintaining weight rather than trying to lose.

As my exercise also varies enormously on the 5 normal eating days my daily gross calories can vary between 600 on fasting days and almost 4,500 on days where I've been cycling for a few hours.

Is eating a lot of calories then compensating on the other days healthy?
  • Shannon_H
    Shannon_H Posts: 35
    Options
    Where do I find my weekly totals?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Very healthy, there's loads of research that intermittent fasting or alternate day fasting is very good for you. It's only recently (in evolutionary terms) that people have been able to eat a perfectly balanced diet day after day whatever the season. We are naturally able to work with feast and famine.
    The projected health benefits as regards hormone regulation and prevention of degenerative illness are very appealing.

Loads of info on here if you are interested - http://thefastdiet.co.uk/
  • lunaticlover
    Options

Very healthy, there's loads of research that intermittent fasting or alternate day fasting is very good for you. It's only recently (in evolutionary terms) that people have been able to eat a perfectly balanced diet day after day whatever the season. We are naturally able to work with feast and famine.
    The projected health benefits as regards hormone regulation and prevention of degenerative illness are very appealing.

Thanks, I usually eat some unhealthy food on monday, but only healthy fresh unprocessed stuff the rest of the week. I can eat like chips and nachos or even 960g of icecream on monday, so I'm not sure If I'm digging my own grave with that...
  • MellyMel340
    MellyMel340 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    counting calories on a weekly basis is one thing but what happens to protein, fat, carbs, sodium, sugar ect? should we not pay attention to all those also? what happens if you hit your weekly calorie goal but your sodium,sugar or whatever else intake was off the charts? i don't think that's healthy......i will stick to my daily counting of EVERYTHING not just calories...but then again that's just how i think......Am not perfect but counting everyday will keep me in check.......j/s
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    Would it be healthy to splurge on monday, eat icecream, chips, cookies etc then eat healthy the rest of the week? I'm not sure if what I'm doing is OK :/
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Easier: weekly

This is because if you go over one day counting daily some people get all emo about it.

I made an excel spreadsheet to keep you on track for a weekly calorie intake. You can save calories for a special day. If you over eat one day it will take calories away from the next day, if you under eat one day, it will add calories to the next day.

if you want it, here https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2MlEgY5q9lgS3Z0S3NWLVR0Y2c

Thanks! Downloaded
  • Jaxter888
    Jaxter888 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Daily, weekly, monthly.. annually?!?!... where does it stop LOL!...

Its about OVERALL whats happening in your body... you dont gain fat / muscle in a day thats for sure...

Its about monitoring whats happening over a period of time.

Both are good to know.

You can still eat iceream, chips, cookies... you can eat them everyday if you allow for it in your calories & macros.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I try my best to stay on track on a daily basis but I have been a little low 2-3x this week and today I rewarded myself with a mexican lunch. I haven't had mexican since I started this in early January. So even though I will go over today no reason to freak b/c it'll all even out over the period of a week.
  • lunaticlover
    Options
    Would it be healthy to splurge on monday, eat icecream, chips, cookies etc then eat healthy the rest of the week? I'm not sure if what I'm doing is OK :/
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Does this work for peri/menopausal women as well?
    Hormonal fluctuations have really messed with my metabolism and fat storage, especially in my belly.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    counting calories on a weekly basis is one thing but what happens to protein, fat, carbs, sodium, sugar ect? should we not pay attention to all those also? what happens if you hit your weekly calorie goal but your sodium,sugar or whatever else intake was off the charts? i don't think that's healthy......i will stick to my daily counting of EVERYTHING not just calories...but then again that's just how i think......Am not perfect but counting everyday will keep me in check.......j/s

Good point.
    You can be in a calorie deficit for the week, losing weight while still eating "goodies" but I think daily nutrition is important.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

Does this work for peri/menopausal women as well?
    Hormonal fluctuations have really messed with my metabolism and fat storage, especially in my belly.

weight loss is about a calorie deficit, that's all.

Why the mention of "hormone regulation"?
  • lunaticlover
    Options

Good point.
    You can be in a calorie deficit for the week, losing weight while still eating "goodies" but I think daily nutrition is important.

I'm worried about eating icecream every week D:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I don't think weekly calories would work for me, because on Sunday I'd be all, "Woo! Look at all the calories I have left to eat! I can just eat a little less on Saturday to make up for my big meal today," and then on Monday, "I can still eat more today and just make up for it at the end of the week," fast forward to Friday >> "ZOMG where did all my calories go?!!"
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Here's a longer/broader thought... Try yearly calories xD
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Why the mention of "hormone regulation"?
    It's pointless to mention that, no offense who ever said it...

ETA: Hormones are proportionate to calories. They also work on a negative feed back loop. This means if some hormones are down other ones are up.

You know what controls all this? It's calories. If you're in a deficit at the end fo the week, doing 5:2, or standard deficit and calorie deficit at the end of the week is the same, you will get the same benefits.

No offence taken Pu. I mentioned hormone regulation as regards health benefits (e.g. IGF-1) not as regards weight loss.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about eating icecream every week D:

If it fits your macros and calories you can eat it every day...oof! I don't want to eyeroll, but if you are in deficit for the week, you will still lose weight, whether you eat icecream and all those calories on one day a week or not. All you are doing is cycling calories or having what some deem a "cheat" day, etc...pretty common, pretty well known around these parts and yes, you can still lose weight doing this...

Whatever works best for you. As long as you have enough energy to work out, live normally, eat without feeling famished, etc, then why worry. A deficit is a deficit is a deficit.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I doubt the "alternate fasting" and other dietary theories will have much impact on this:

Estrogen Dominance Turns Your Body into a "Fat Magnet"

In his book, From Belly Fat to Belly Flat: How Your Hormones are Adding Inches to Your Waistline and Subtracting Years from Your Life, Dr. C.W. Randolph, MD, makes an excellent case for estrogen dominance, fluctuating hormones, and weight gain.

According to Dr. Randolph, too much estrogen circulating in the body produces body fat. In turn, fat tissue produces and stores more estrogen, in addition to containing an enzyme which converts adrenal steroids to even more estrogen.

When there is too much estrogen present, your body's ability to adequately metabolize fat is compromised, which means more estrogen is produced, which means, you've got it - more fat. This cycle then continues to repeat itself over and over again, literally turning your body into a self-perpetuating fat magnet.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options

that's all