I eat alot of fruit..I mean ALOT. Is that bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    That's only 300 calories.

Try blending up 6 bananas, 2 mangos, 1 apple, blueberries, 2 dates and LIVE ON MY LEVEL. :bigsmile:
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You don't eat a lot of fruit. THIS WOMAN eats a lot of fruit: http://thebananagirl.com/
    Yeh... she used to be heavier too til she started shoveling in the fruit. Funny how so many people on MFP whose goal is to lose weight are afraid of the fruit.

I've even seen type 1 diabetics follow this diet.

before-after.jpg
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Please don't tell me you had JUST 5 strawberries for breakfast and nothing else. I mean you put them in oatmeal or cereal, right? ...Right?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    While many people would disagree with this, I believe that there are two categories of fruits: ones that are good for dieting/losing weight, and ones that are not.

The best fruits you can eat for dieting are:
    1. Berries (Raspberries/Strawberries are especially good)
    2. Cherries
    3. Apples/Pears
    4. Peaches/Apricots

The worst fruits to eat for dieting are:
    1. Melon (Very high in sugar!)
    2. Mangoes/Papayas
    3. Pineapples
    4. Grapes (Very high in sugar!)

While all fruit is good for you, technically, I would stick to limiting your intake of sugary fruits and perhaps increasing your intake for less-sugary fruits to compensate. There are worse things you could be eating than fruit, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

this is ridiculous. all fruit is high in sugar. fortunately it's also attached to fiber, so it doesn't spike your insulin response the way fruit juice, soda, or refined sugars would.

there are not two different categories.

This.

Also, melon is actually one of the better fruits to eat. It's low calorie, and high in vitamin C, potassium and lycopene, which had been linked to reduced rated of certain cancers and risks of heart attack. This person has no idea what they are talking about.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Not all fruit is created equal. For example, strawberries are low in calories and don't have as much sugar as grapes. A calorie is a calorie, and if you're eating more than you're burning, you will gain weight, whether what you are eating is healthy or not. Check out the sugar content of the different types of fruit to see which you can indulge in and which you should stick to in moderation.

Also, watch out for dried fruit and juice. Even if it doesn't have sugar added, it tends to have more calories per unit volume, and you can pack in the sugar fast that way.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    You don't eat a lot of fruit. THIS WOMAN eats a lot of fruit: http://thebananagirl.com/
    Yeh... she used to be heavier too til she started shoveling in the fruit. Funny how so many people on MFP whose goal is to lose weight are afraid of the fruit.

before-after.jpg

I'm officially fascinated by this
  • taylorxpaige
    taylorxpaige Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes melon is very good for you! I am not discrediting that. As for weight loss though, it's not the best choice. Again, I think it's different for everyone. I ate the exact same/exercised the same, except cut grapes/watermelon out and substituted raspberries (same calories of each) and lost weight. So, maybe you do not agree but that is what has personally worked for ME.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me her skin turned orange after too much raw fruit.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

i do gain when I eat a lot of fruit if I am going over my calorie goals as a result, so not everyone can eat a lot of fruit and not gain.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    ALOT.png
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

i do gain when I eat a lot of fruit if I am going over my calorie goals as a result, so not everyone can eat a lot of fruit and not gain.

• taylorxpaige
    Options

THANK YOU!
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit too. On a typical day I will have a gala apple with my lunch, grapes or a banana for an afternoon snack and a serving of strawberries and blackberries after dinner. I love my fruit, it satisfies my sweet tooth and keeps me full. I don't worry about going over on sugar on here because I know it's natural sugar and I'm not diabetic.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    While many people would disagree with this, I believe that there are two categories of fruits: ones that are good for dieting/losing weight, and ones that are not.

2. Cherries
    3. Apples/Pears
    4. Peaches/Apricots

2. Mangoes/Papayas
    3. Pineapples

While all fruit is good for you, technically, I would stick to limiting your intake of sugary fruits and perhaps increasing your intake for less-sugary fruits to compensate. There are worse things you could be eating than fruit, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

So I'll be the one to disagree. I eat a lot of grapes, a fair amount of fresh pineapple (when it's in season and available at Costco, and tons of watermelon and cantaloupe. It didn't affect my reaching my goal and it hasn't affected maintenance.
  • happyhiram
    happyhiram Posts: 89
    Options

THANK YOU!

You're aware that didn't prove a single thing about your ridiculous claim, right?

Of course you're going to gain weight if you consume more calories than you expend. You can do that with anything you eat.
  • taylorxpaige
    Options

THANK YOU!

You're aware that didn't prove a single thing about your ridiculous claim, right?

Of course you're going to gain weight if you consume more calories than you expend. You can do that with anything you eat.

That wasn't me who said that. That was someone else. I was saying for me personally I gain weight from eating particular fruits, while staying within my calorie goal. I have found that some fruits affect my weight more than others. Someone else said something about going over their calorie goals. Again, MY OPINION....MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.
  • taylorxpaige
    Options

2. Cherries
    3. Apples/Pears
    4. Peaches/Apricots

2. Mangoes/Papayas
    3. Pineapples

So I'll be the one to disagree. I eat a lot of grapes, a fair amount of fresh pineapple (when it's in season and available at Costco, and tons of watermelon and cantaloupe. It didn't affect my reaching my goal and it hasn't affected maintenance.

Again, like I said it's different for everyone. For me personally, it has affected me reaching my goal weight. But again, that's just me and my personal experience. Nobody else's.