Buying pants sized 14-16

Options
Ok, I don't know if anyone else out there has had this problem, but I don't know where else to turn.

As of today, I have lost 68 pounds which has brought me down from a size 26-28 to a rough estimate of 14-16. I have run out of clothes. Now, when I was bigger, I knew where to shop. Lane Bryant or Dress Barn has clothes that seemed to understand a larger shape and would actually fit me. Now, at a 16, I look in the "thin" girls stores for clothes, but I am still on the heavy end of their spectrum and since these clothes were designed for thinner people, they don't fit me right at all. I tried on 22 pairs of shorts today, all of which either gapped in the back, cut me too low across the waist or just looked like they were way too small even though they were marked 16. I went back to Lane Bryant and found some 14's that fit my shape perfectly.

So, my question is...WHERE ON EARTH CAN I SHOP? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

(I so love having this forum to turn to...You guys have all helped me immensely!)

Jennifer

Replies

• dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    Have you tried Cato? Dress Barn?
  • tcam70455
    tcam70455 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I like J.C.Penney's. They have great sales, and sizes that fit my short frame.
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    Try old navy for wardrobe staples like jeans and tees. They also have some cute dresses in the summer!
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    I went from a size 22 womans plus where I got clothing from fashion bug ,

to a size 13 juniors (bought the 13 yesterday!!) JcPenneys had them on sale for 12$
    but I am also 5 foot tall .
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Cato and Old Navy are good for those sizes also New York and Company.
  • cjjohnson
    cjjohnson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had a baby about 5 months ago and cried the first time i tried on jeans. I feel your pain in not finding anything that fits! I did find though that GAP long and lean jeans were heaven sent. A little on the pricy side but well worth the money in my opinion, i loved them. In fact i still buy them as i continue to drop the baby weight. I went from a 16 to an 8 and looked good in my GAP jeans the whole time! Hope this helps.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am that size right now and I shop at Reitmann's and Addition-Elle. Reitmann's has petite, standard and plus sizing, so i can usually fine something in one of the lines that works and Addition-Elle is a 14+ store, but the usually have a good selection in 14 and 16 sizes. If the stores don't sound familair, I am from Canada, so maybe those chains are not where you are. Good luck! I also found some great cheap jeans at Walmart that fit wonderfully!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    As long as Lane Bryant is working for you stick with it.

The last time I was in a size 12 was over 10 years ago. Shopping for pants was miserable because my thighs did not fit well into regular sizes. When my waist got big enough to have to move into plus sizes and I discovered Lane Bryant I immediately fell in love. Pants that actually fit!

I'm actually dreading the day that I have to start shopping in regular size stores again. Hopefully I'll have a more "normal" thigh to waist ratio than I did as a teenager.
  • msbea
    msbea Posts: 1
    Options
    Get to know a good tailor! Find pants that fit your widest part and have a good rise. Having a pair of pants taken in isn’t that much money – if you sign up for store mailings or emails you can get some great coupons that will offset the cost of alterations.
    For years I’ve had clothing tailored, and trust me, it is worth it!
  • jyt2573
    jyt2573 Posts: 80
    Options
    I knew coming here was a good idea. I am now recharged and ready to face the retail world again. (Getting my list of stores ready...) Thanks so much all!!

Jennifer

(Ps - MWF looking for good tailor. Will trade for work out tips and healthy recipes. Will also do jumping jacks upon request...) :laugh:
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    i shop at maurices and DEB. Maurices is classier and DEB is more sporty. i wear 16-18 now.
  • teneuse
    teneuse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've lived with this problem for a really long time - I have been in the gap between the top end of 'misses' and the bottom of 'plus sizes' for as long as I can remember. And there definitely is a gap due to the shift in the way clothes are cut between the two - my frame is too small for plus sizes, but I'm often too curvy for misses. Plus I'm 5'10", which doesn't help :smile:

There is no perfect answer. My solution has been to seek out the 'curvy' fit at various stores - Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft, plus Banana Republic (Jackson Fit) all have lines. Boden (a UK store that sells in the US online) also works for me. You might also want to try Bravissimo (also UK, also online for the US) if you're curvy on top - they sell dresses and tops by curviness level in addition to size.

General advice: Skirts tend to fit better than pants. Try on a lot of clothes - you'll be surprised what fits well!
  • FuerImmerStark
    Options
    I like J.C.Penney's. They have great sales, and sizes that fit my short frame.

i used to be a 16, and jcpenny was where almost all of my clothes were from. so yes, deff. jcpenny, and sometimes old navy. but their clothes sometimes stretches weird and is a little bit trashy.
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've been 14-16 for awhile now. I shop at The Limited and New York & Company but also check in at Lane Bryant too especially for tops (I'm curvy). Old Navy has the perfect jeans for me but they have a bunch of different cuts. Just don't make it a burden, it's a celebration!! :flowerforyou:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I was a 14-16 when I started and easily found clothes at TJ Maxx, Kohl's, Penney's and Steinmart to name a few. Wish we could work out a way to swap clothes as we call change sizes!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jyt2573
    Options
    Oh Holton, that would be wonderful! I live in Charlotte, North Carolina for the record... :)

Jennifer
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Oh Holton, that would be wonderful! I live in Charlotte, North Carolina for the record... :)

Jennifer

I am just outside of Charlotte in Rock Hill and might have some size 16 for you since I am down to 12-14.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Try J. Jill, or Eddie Bauer (Blakely Fit). I also have a pair of Charter Club jeans from Macy's that I've just about worn out.
  • jyt2573
    Options
    Sending you a message rostrum...
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I totally know where you are coming from. I just went looking for some new shorts today, size 14, and everything fit... just not well. Either sat too low and made my still-existent pouch stand out even more, or gave me that awkward thing in the crotch area. Very annoying. I haven't tried them yet myself, but if you like Lane Bryant, I know that they also own Fashion Bug, which has plus sizes and regular sizes, so maybe you could find something there? Good luck! Let me know if you find somewhere!! =)