Apple Cider Vinegar anyone?

Options
So I read a few studies on the benefits of ACV so I've been taking a shot of organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar before bed and upon wakening. Anyone else do this?

-Jon
http://facebook.com/ironfitclub

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    No, I do not.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could stand a shot of it straight, or even diluted in water. But I use it on steamed veggies or on salads in lieu of dressing, so I end up consuming quite a bit. In fact, I almost never eat a salad without it, unless I'm in a restaurant.

I also put it in the dogs' water, and in the chickens' water. It prevents all kinds of digestive problems.

I had hoped this would help with my relatively frequent heartburn, but not so much.
  • jaf320
    jaf320 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Too lazy to look up exactly where I read this a while ago, but I did read that even when diluted, ACV can be really bad for your tooth enamel so I stopped doing it. I'd only done it a few times before reading that, but even with ~8oz H20, a sprinkle of lemon juice, cinnamon, and several drops of stevia, I could barely gag it down.
  • goldstargeek
    goldstargeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ive done it. It is suppose to have several great old time health benefits. I would say that the last time I went to do a cycle of it it certainly cleaned me out because it caused me to pass a kidney stone! I literally drank it and woke up needing to go to the hospital that morning. Now...I knew I had 6 kidney stones in there from a previous cat scan...and yes I should pass them...but I tell you what FFFFFFFFF THAT! LOL :) i took 2 TBSP before each meal in a little paper shot cup.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My grandparents use to drink this daily back in the 1960's. Its nothing new.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I try to remember to take a shot almost every day, before dinner or something usually. I use unfiltered organic too. Lots of different little health benefits it has! When I feel myself start to get sick or catch a cold, I flush myself with homemade detox & that & I'm usually all good within a couple of days, whereas before I was the kind of person who's sickness would drag on for a week or 2.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    I recently bought some of the Bragg variety and would like to do this. Anyone have any tips for making it palatable?
  • haileyro
    haileyro Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    I've just started recently, I do 2 tbsp with 8 ounces water and a teaspoon of honey for taste. I don't think it's too bad... I just have it first thing in the morning.
    Some of the benefits include alkalizing blood ph level AND it seems to help a lot with acne. Some people use it as a facial toner.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    2 tsp ACV, shake the bottle first to mix.
    1 tsp raw honey or use stevia to taste
    Dash of cinnamon

Mix the ingredients with hot water, about two ounces, stir to liquify the honey. Add 6-8 oz cold water and enjoy! I have it three times a day.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    I've just started recently, I do 2 tbsp with 8 ounces water and a teaspoon of honey for taste. I don't think it's too bad... I just have it first thing in the morning.
    Some of the benefits include alkalizing blood ph level AND it seems to help a lot with acne. Some people use it as a facial toner.

My skin is so soft since I have been drinking it (2months). And everyone got the dreaded cold and mine only lasted two days. Plus, it helps with hunger.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have tried the capsules and I have nothing to report.... not sure what was supposed to happen but nothing did. I tried it to see if it would help suppress my appetite but again nothing...
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I use it in my hair, and take it when I have sore throat.
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!!!!! I used to!!! I stopped bc anybody I would talk to about this said I was weird.. :drinker: yay!:tongue:
  • hellokittymaui
    hellokittymaui Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I drink ACV all the time before meals. I make it more palatable by adding 2 tablespoons of ACV to a glass of 3/4 water and 1/4 flavored Crystal Light. I prefer the grape Crystal Light. It's better when the water and Crystal Light are nice and cold.

Start out by just adding a teaspoon of ACV to your water/Crystal Light blend then work up to the 2 tablespoons.

It's an aquired taste definitely. :)
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    yeah brah, if youre going to get it get Braggs brand its only like $3. It sucks though in the begining because of the strong taste and distinct smell but you slowly get use to it. I take 2 shots as the last thing i do when im done eating my last meal and i got some water on the side to help with the after taste. doing it with a shot glass makes it just makes the process be over with faster.id say it helps with digestion, balancing ph levels, and skin, and probably a whole bunch of other great stuff going on in the body. i highly reccomend it for anyone.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and gag it down if you must and feel that it does something for you. But those health claims are not supported by science.

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/houston-we-have-problem-apple-cider.html
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I guess do it if it floats your boat. Probably can't hurt. I just don't see it fitting into my macros.
  • hellokittymaui
    hellokittymaui Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Great article on on medical use of vinegar:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785201/
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and gag it down if you must and feel that it does something for you. But those health claims are not supported by science.

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/houston-we-have-problem-apple-cider.html

who cares about science, you can find articles saying its great and saying its bad of about almost everything. its all about trial and error with yourself. if you see no changes or difference within a few weeks/months of using it just dont use it anymore. never let science stop you from trying something.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I was drinking Bragg's ACV for quite a while. I need to get back to it. I purely went off of the reviews from Amazon and some Google research. I don't mind the science that says it doesn't do anything, it made a difference for me. I felt more alert, I never got sick even when others did. My skin looked amazing! I still use it on my face as a toner followed with organic coconut oil as a moisturizer (I also try to put this in my smoothies as it has amazing benefits too). I also use it diluted in my hair after a shower for help with my dry scalp.

The ONLY WAY I could drink the ACV was to mix it in grape juice. Something about the grape juice just makes it taste okay. I eventually started craving the stuff. I tried all the other recipes in water, honey, etc and almost threw up.

It is bad for your tooth enamel so never take shots of it and always drink it through a straw.

I am telling you though, try it with grape juice! You won't be sorry!

Jen