Themed Races

Options
In addition to Zumba, what really got me motivated to work out are themed races/runs. Before I got serious, I decided to try this cool one called Color Me Rad. You dress all in white and then as you run or walk the 5K (it was easy, casual fun), there were checkpoints where a group of people would throw a different color on you at each one (there were others along the way who would throw random "color bombs." Then when you got to the end, you were a complete rainbow of color. Given the ease of it, I tried it out, loved it and then when I got serious, decided I wanted to actually run at this year's Color Me Rad. It's at www.colormerad.com if you're interested.

Then I started looking for more and discovered this awesome gem called runforyourlives.com which is another 5k, but this one is a zombie-themed one. You can sign up as either a runner or a zombie or both and you go through an obstacle course. As a runner, you try to get through it with at least one of your three red flags still on you while as a zombie, you try to grab the flags to infect the runners and when you reach the end of the race, there is a big party.

Just today, I was told of this one called Hero Rush at herorush.com. It's a 3.5 mile obstacle course designed by firefighters, that looks positively insane. Although I plan to run the other two this year, I think I'll save this one for next year because it's coming up this month and I am far from being in the shape I want to be, plus it seems more intense.

What I'm wondering is: are there any other themed races you guys participate in? I know there are marathons, triathlons and other runs going on all the time, but that's not really enough for me. I like challenges, but I also have an appreciation for the creativity that goes behind these. Are there any other fellow runners that participate in these types of races?

Replies

• b3kah5
    b3kah5 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Themed runs are fun! I just did the Graffiti Run which is the same as Color Me Rad. I've done the Firefly Run which was at night and everyone had glow sticks and glowing accessories. I did the Dirty Six Mud Run, a run through mud and obstacles. I'm always up for any new themed runs but any 5K I've been to there have been groups dressed up as whatever so I guess you can make each race your own theme! Oh, I've also been looking at a foam run, that looks fun!
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yep, done two color me rads. So awesome! I'm signed up for an "electric" run that's supposed to be all glowsticks in August.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    just did the "color run" in Austin TX which is similar to color me rad , but it raises money for all cancer research..
    was a lot of fun
    tough mudder is another run that i have heard is fun..
  • shak29
    shak29 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just did the Warrior Dash last weekend. It is an obstacle run with mud pits and other things. I had so much fun! Would love to do a color run but I really gotta get my running in line.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My first race was Glow In The Night last March. Came home day glow podwered. Loved it! Looking at doing anther one and possibly a zombie run or maybe a Mudder. I'm addicted!
  • FezzesRCool
    FezzesRCool Posts: 36
    Options
    Firefly sounds fun! I bet it must look really cool at night. :) As a bonus, nights would be a cooler time to run.

I heard of Mudder too. It sounds like a blast!
  • mccallp319
    mccallp319 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm running a Tough Mudder in October. It's a 10-12 mile obstacle course designed by the British military and they raise money for wounded warriors. It's supposed to be pretty hardcore; I'm looking forward to it.